The Student Room Group

Is Latin A-Level a good choice if you want to go into Oxbridge?

Hello,
I'm currently in year 11 and am in the process of choosing which A-Levels I will pursue in Sixth Form. I'm struggling to figure out if I should choose Latin as one, as whilst I'm interested in it, I'm not sure that Oxbridge seems to care a lot about it.
Would Latin A-Level be a good choice for Law?
What A-Levels should be chosen for studying Law at Oxbridge?
Reply 1
There are no subject requirements. Take Latin if you want. As long as you have at least one essay-based subject, be it history, English, economics, politics etc there won't be any issue.
english + a foreign language are good for law. i don't know if latin compares favourably to a typical language at A level
Latin, English Literature, History & any 4th subject you're interested/passionate in but otherwise just 3 are perfectly fine.
That would be a great combination :smile:
Do subjects that you like and will get a good grade in. Again, Law has no subject requirements and subjects like Latin or even Ancient Greek are more than welcome.

There aren't specific subjects that will give you an advantage in the application process. Just make sure you do at least one essay subject to demonstrate that you'd cope with the demands of a Law degree.

Ergo, Latin's a great choice and you should definitely do it if you want to. :rambo:
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you for the replies,
I am now well informed and ready to make my decision!
Original post by FutureGeek123
Thank you for the replies,
I am now well informed and ready to make my decision!

Hi, I'm currently looking to make an application to Oxbridge Law and am in Year 12 now taking Latin A Level. I was wondering if you did decide to take Latin and if so, where are you now? I hope this is not too personal!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending