The Student Room Group

Truth about Harris Westminster that no-one will tell you

the truth about this sixth form is unless you have straight a*s or are heading to Oxbridge or imperial the school won't care about you. During the UCAS process, those who get an interview for oxford or Cambridge get 3+ mock interviews with internal and external teachers whereas those applying to other universities like UCL won't get any help from the school except some mentors who are nice enough. The majority of the teachers are spectacular like MR Kang, DR Patel however the school is unfair when it comes to coursework. When history student had their coursework some teachers looked over some classes work to ensure the work was up to par and if they possibly needed to change something, whilst other classes literally go nothing and when they went to those other teachers for help , the teacher who refused to help his student told the other teachers not to help his class but only help ur own . as well as this the school takes no responsibility for bullying of any kind, abusive boyfriend missed punching someone and left a hole in the wall, came into skl the next day with no repercussions. Also student brought edibles (weed brownies into school ) and tried to give it to teachers or students or even more serious forms of bullying are completely ignored and promises made by teachers arent kept often leaving the victims in silence. The sky only cares about grades and that's it, it may seem good as they get high scores but the terrible environment means that students often go into teacher's cupboards to steal the exams or every test is a competition against each other rather than self-development. The SLT (senior leadership team) is good for a couple of reasons well, Mr. Handscombe bragging about his oxford degree and believes that make it ok to wear an own like a pastor in the abbey assembly. Mr grant who just loves to shout and scream at student whilst enforcing that all notes even on a page of maths workings must be in Cornell note form , and miss Scott who doesn't really listen to students and gave out a detention to a student who was late for an exam because she had to call an ambulance for her mom, but then reinstates that she is there for you.. There isn't a sense of community in this school, in fact, you probably won't know even 1/4 of the people in your year group. if you love a very constantly competitive atmosphere and are certain to get a place at Oxbridge then yes this is the place for you. If not trust me there are other places that will really take care of you and not just see you as their 'charity work', the teachers who really care for their students are often underlooked whilst the ones who dgaf talk of being there for you (it will only happen when pigs fly). Some students get the grades (most of them below their predictions) but the majority when asking around and asking in my form class none of them are happy. there arent really any school trips except to the museum or a lecture or if you have high enough grades a trip to Oxbridge, they also know who those students are as they rank each student based on how likely they are to get into Oxbridge during your first term or 2 at harris. any questions pls ask both good and bad questions and no question is off limit for me.

for those who cant handle stress , gues what the school doesnt care mental health is a joke and will not offer hardly any help at all . students opinions are also arent cared for . for instance issues brought up by our studen senate to help improve the school often go astray . and even if the student senate (version of student council) are voted for by students , MR handscombe can veto the choice i believe if he doesnt agree which nulls the point of a vote .

ur welcome
(edited 4 years ago)
Thanks for the insight
Original post by Badgyalz19
the truth about this sixth form is unless you have straight a*s or are heading to Oxbridge or imperial the school won't care about you. During the UCAS process, those who get an interview for oxford or Cambridge get 3+ mock interviews with internal and external teachers whereas those applying to other universities like UCL won't get any help from the school except some mentors who are nice enough. The majority of the teachers are spectacular like MR Kang, DR Patel however the school is unfair when it comes to coursework. When history student had their coursework some teachers looked over some classes work to ensure the work was up to par and if they possibly needed to change something, whilst other classes literally go nothing and when they went to those other teachers for help , the teacher who refused to help his student told the other teachers not to help his class but only help ur own . as well as this the school takes no responsibility for bullying of any kind, abusive boyfriend missed punching someone and left a hole in the wall, came into skl the next day with no repercussions. Also student brought edibles (weed brownies into school ) and tried to give it to teachers or students or even more serious forms of bullying are completely ignored and promises made by teachers arent kept often leaving the victims in silence. The sky only cares about grades and that's it, it may seem good as they get high scores but the terrible environment means that students often go into teacher's cupboards to steal the exams or every test is a competition against each other rather than self-development. The SLT (senior leadership team) is good for a couple of reasons well, Mr. Handscombe bragging about his oxford degree and believes that make it ok to wear an own like a pastor in the abbey assembly. Mr grant who just loves to shout and scream at student whilst enforcing that all notes even on a page of maths workings must be in Cornell note form , and miss Scott who doesn't really listen to students and gave out a detention to a student who was late for an exam because she had to call an ambulance for her mom, but then reinstates that she is there for you.. There isn't a sense of community in this school, in fact, you probably won't know even 1/4 of the people in your year group. if you love a very constantly competitive atmosphere and are certain to get a place at Oxbridge then yes this is the place for you. If not trust me there are other places that will really take care of you and not just see you as their 'charity work', the teachers who really care for their students are often underlooked whilst the ones who dgaf talk of being there for you (it will only happen when pigs fly). Some students get the grades (most of them below their predictions) but the majority when asking around and asking in my form class none of them are happy. there arent really any school trips except to the museum or a lecture or if you have high enough grades a trip to Oxbridge, they also know who those students are as they rank each student based on how likely they are to get into Oxbridge during your first term or 2 at harris. any questions pls ask both good and bad questions and no question is off limit for me.

for those who cant handle stress , gues what the school doesnt care mental health is a joke and will not offer hardly any help at all . students opinions are also arent cared for . for instance issues brought up by our studen senate to help improve the school often go astray . and even if the student senate (version of student council) are voted for by students , MR handscombe can veto the choice i believe if he doesnt agree which nulls the point of a vote .

ur welcome

Wheres the printer because this is all fax đź“ 
That was intense but thanks
I secured a place there when they were still a very new sixth form. I enrolled in the summer and then the next day I ditched them for a state school sixth form. Best decision I’ve ever made. :yy:
Reply 5
Original post by Badgyalz19

ur welcome

and that's on ✨pRivAtE SchOOls✨
Reply 6
Original post by xsowmix

but Harris Westminster isn’t a private school…
Original post by xsowmix

HWSF is a state school. Do your research.

Quick Reply

Latest