Applying for a music master's course without undergrad music degree

Watch
stargazerst
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I graduated from uni this year (did a BA in a humanities subject) and I would like to apply for a music -related master's degree. As soon as I finished my undergrad I was full of regret for not having studied music,and now I just really want to amend that. I'm looking for a course where I could primarily focus on composition and do some work with electronics, something quite theory/musicology-based.

I was in a band and recorded music for a solo project throughout my degree, but I never got any musical training beyond Grade 8 piano and GCSE music. So I have quite a large portfolio of recorded music,but not much else beyond that and the qualifications I mentioned.
Does anyone know which master's courses in the UK would potentially take on applicants who have not done an undergrad music course? Is there anything I could/should do before applying which could increase my chances of getting in (for example, should I consider taking Grade 8 theory)?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Last edited by stargazerst; 5 months ago
zhengyimusic
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi I did a BA in English Lit and I'm going to study musicology for my masters this September. I've received several offers so far and I can tell you from my experience that it's entirely possible for a non-music undergraduate student to apply for a music/music-related programme successfully.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (306)
34.3%
No (586)
65.7%

Watched Threads