*MEGATHREAD* Medicine 2020 Interviews discussion Watch

ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Discussion for generic interview tips and questions. For specific medical schools, go to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6022314

Do not discuss specific questions, tests, or any other details regarding interviews or MMIs. (1) It is against TSR rules and most likely the med schools' rules, and (2) it is in your advantage not to share, because you will be giving your "competitors" an advantage.

I have just been asked to interview again this year. Please quote me if you wanted any advice. I will periodically pop in to give helpful tips and general feedback as the interview cycle goes on.

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Last edited by ecolier; 4 weeks ago
bethanyrose02
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I applied for Medicine at Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle and Keele and was wondering when/how to start preparing for interviews. I know that they are around Christmas-time so what would be an appropriate amount of time to spend prepping?
Also, I have a guaranteed interview at Keele (access programme) that's why I'm thinking about this already
mass63
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi all
Now the deadline for UCAS application has expired the question I have is how soon universities will start sending invites for interview . I am referring in particular to UCAT based universities.
Mel242
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I found last year's uni-specific threads useful. The unis I applied to (this year) started sending interview invites in mid-November last year. Earliest was 12/11, latest was 2/12. Might be different this year but gives a sort-of historical timescale.
DGeorge13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mass63)
Hi all
Now the deadline for UCAS application has expired the question I have is how soon universities will start sending invites for interview . I am referring in particular to UCAT based universities.
Very much depends on the uni and also what part you are interviewed in in their cycle. It is exciting and whilst prep is a good thing maybe try not to stress about it as the unis get UCAT results in early November so it won’t be until after then.
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bethanyrose02)
I applied for Medicine at Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle and Keele and was wondering when/how to start preparing for interviews. I know that they are around Christmas-time so what would be an appropriate amount of time to spend prepping?
Also, I have a guaranteed interview at Keele (access programme) that's why I'm thinking about this already
I think amount of time is very relative to the person. Perhaps start keeping an eye out on things going on in related news - I mean it’s interesting anyway so not too difficult to want to do and quite enjoyable actually.
I’ve started by looking at the places I’ve applied and the courses based on a few different bullet points as well as the unis as: med schools, institutions and places in general so that I can have things to draw upon. There are some documents like the values needed to study medicine which may be useful to have a look at to think about relevant things to say and then there are websites that look at some frameworks which can be used although you don’t want to sound rehearsed. I have heard that the best way to prepare though will be maybe to get teachers to give you questions as a mock and I think you tube has some relevant information on mmis - this is in addition to any info the uni will send with possible invites. Good luck
Exdoz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How long are medical interviews (MMIs). Like how long can you answer a question for? So if they ask me "why medicine", do I have like 5 mins to talk about it, or should I only talk about it for 30 seconds? To how much depth should I get into my answers- so for every answer do I answer the questions for a good 2 mins or much less?
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Exdoz)
How long are medical interviews (MMIs). Like how long can you answer a question for? So if they ask me "why medicine", do I have like 5 mins to talk about it, or should I only talk about it for 30 seconds? To how much depth should I get into my answers- so for every answer do I answer the questions for a good 2 mins or much less?
Depends in the uni. 30 seconds is probably a bit short but if you’ve covered everything it’s better to stop - they may also ask follow up qs
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by Exdoz)
As @DGeorge13 said, it depends on the Uni.

They would usually tell you at the start; or the duration may even be on the med school's website.

Where I interview, the "panel interview" MMI sub-station (i.e. there are a few MMI stations, there is one station where it's like a panel interview) lasts 10 minutes per candidate; with 2 minutes preparation time outside the room, then 5 minutes inside talking about whatever the case / scenario that you were given; then another 5 minutes asking something that you weren't told.

I wouldn't keep talking for 5 minutes straight, nor would I think that a candidate finishing after 30 seconds to be a good one (unless they have managed to convey all the points in that time, then they're really good!).
Exdoz
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
As @DGeorge13 said, it depends on the Uni.

They would usually tell you at the start; or the duration may even be on the med school's website.

Where I interview, the "panel interview" MMI sub-station (i.e. there are a few MMI stations, there is one station where it's like a panel interview) lasts 10 minutes per candidate; with 2 minutes preparation time outside the room, then 5 minutes inside talking about whatever the case / scenario that you were given; then another 5 minutes asking something that you weren't told.

I wouldn't keep talking for 5 minutes straight, nor would I think that a candidate finishing after 30 seconds to be a good one (unless they have managed to convey all the points in that time, then they're really good!).
So what is the average time per question? Would you say 1 minute 30 seconds answering each question is the standard time?
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by Exdoz)
So what is the average time per question? Would you say 1 minute 30 seconds answering each question is the standard time?
For a 5 mins station yes, otherwise it'll be different.
Sharmarko
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Anyone know of good news sources to read?

I read the BMJ but some articles are behind a subscription.
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sharmarko)
Anyone know of good news sources to read?

I read the BMJ but some articles are behind a subscription.
You don't need to read the BMJ, it's aimed mainly at doctors (and some med students; there used to be a studentBMJ but it stopped).

Rely on the health section of reputable news agencies, the BBC health section is a usual good source of information.
Maybemedschool
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I applied to st georges, Bristol, Newcastle and Sheffield, does anyone have any tips as to how to start practicing for interview?
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
ecolier strange question but when you applied to medicine what sort of preparation for interview (if the unis you applied to were doing them at that point) did you do?
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by DGeorge13)
ecolier strange question but when you applied to medicine what sort of preparation for interview (if the unis you applied to were doing them at that point) did you do?
There was a book that I used, but it was published back in the mid 2000s! I also did practised interviews at school with the teachers.

Remember I applied back in the days when most unis were doing panel interviews, and the rest (e.g. Newcastle) didn't even do interviews at all!! It was all on PS and stats.

No UKCAT either, and £1000 / year tuition fees! :rofl:
Last edited by ecolier; 4 weeks ago
PastelColours
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
There was a book that I used, but it was published back in the mid 2000s! I also did practised interviews at school with the teachers.

Remember I applied back in the days when most unis were doing panel interviews, and the rest (e.g. Newcastle) didn't even do interviews at all!! It was all on PS and stats.

No UKCAT either, and £1000 / year tuition fees! :rofl:
£1000?!!!? Oml what happened now it’s so expensive! :laugh:
Exdoz
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How is everyone preparing for interviews? How many hours should I be putting in a week, in order to grasp all angles and questions possibly given? Are all MMIs generally the same but different concepts- like do they all have similar stations? I will generally have 3 weeks-4 weeks for preparation (as I have been given emails by the unis I applied to on when the interviews are). Is 3 weeks enough for solid preparation- Lets say 1 hour everyday?

I also read that in a 5-minutes station, the number of qs you answer depends on how quickly you get through each question. For example: if you answer 1 question in 3 minutes and the subsequent one in 2 minutes, then you only answered 2 qs in 5 mins, whereas you could have answered maybe 4 in the 5 mins. Would only answering 2 qs (but it was highly informative and good) be beneficial over answering 4 qs- does the concept of quality over quantity apply here?

What is the depth of knowledge I should know? Is there any checklist available that I can follow through for my interview revision? Also, the checklist that the actual interviewees have, is it available anywhere online?

Would looking straight into the eyes of the interviewer make you seem more competitive? Or could you look away, and look at the table a couple of times, and still be ok? When I tend to talk to people/friends and etc, I don't mainly look at them in the eye, I tend to look around. But I do also look in the eyes. Would this be an advantage?

Is looking really smart on the day an advantage? Like wearing a suit, fresh haircut, advantageous? I know it's about how you communicate and not how you look, but if I communicate well and dress smart, maybe they would be a bit bias towards me?

Generally, how long are the interview stations? And what concepts do they generally cover (as I mentioned earlier, is there any sort of checklist I could use)?

About work experience, what are the questions that they can ask you? Do they go into depth on what you did the whole time, or do they ask specifics like: "How did you learn teamwork was important in your work experience".

If they ask me a question, and I think on how to answer it for a good 10 seconds, would that be disadvantageous? Or should it be down to 5 seconds? I tend to need slightly more time to think because if I answer it straight away (or after 5 seconds) I tend to waffle. Like what is the time limit I even have to thing? Do I tell them to give me 15 seconds to think, or do I just think and not warn them I may think for quite some time, and then answer the question after those 15 seconds?

For each station, would they give us like 2 minutes to prepare in the back or would it be a complete circuit? How much time do we have, to prepare in the back before the interview starts?

So let's say "Empathy skills" was a checklist on the interviewees sheet and I said: "During my work experience, I witnessed how difficult it is to have a brain disorder such as dementia. From seeing how it affects their daily lives, from not being able to walk independently, eat independently (and etc), I was able to help them carry out these exercises..... blah blah blah" Is this a good way of approaching the question? Or should I follow a specific format- does anyone know any format I could use? For example: in English you have PEE paragraphs, is there one similar to that in interviews? Is this format good: Say which part of my work experience made me feel "teamwork" was essential, then say how I observed this (essentially explaining what I observed), and finally saying how I have been able to reflect on this and understand how it is important to the role of a Doctor.

Oh yeah, for my final point of each of my answers, do I relate how it is important to the role of the doctor? For example if the point is about "Communciation skills", in the final part of my answer do I say how it is important to the role of a Doctor- would this make me competitive?

Is logically explaining your points clearly advantageous? For example- as mentioned above, following a format would it help make my explanations logical and clear?

Would talking in a shaky voice (maybe for the first 5 mins or so, as I would be nervous by the environment of the interview) be harmful to me bagging the offer? Do med unis generally take this seriously?

How can I improve my confidence skills in talking? I know it is achieved through practice, but what is the best way? Do I get like a group of 5 friends and have them stare at me whilst I answer questions? Is this effective. What is the maximum number of interviewees at a panel- is it 2,3 what is it?

Overall, what makes a student very competitive for the offer? If my communication skills, explaining points logically and clearly, good recap from work experience enough to bag the offer? If you realised, I left out the "background NHS knowledge here"- if I generally do not know anything about the NHS, would that be harmful to my overall interview (taking into consideration that the things I mentioned 1 line above, is how my performance was)?
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Exdoz)
How is everyone preparing for interviews? How many hours should I be putting in a week, in order to grasp all angles and questions possibly given? Are all MMIs generally the same but different concepts- like do they all have similar stations? I will generally have 3 weeks-4 weeks for preparation (as I have been given emails by the unis I applied to on when the interviews are). Is 3 weeks enough for solid preparation- Lets say 1 hour everyday?

I also read that in a 5-minutes station, the number of qs you answer depends on how quickly you get through each question. For example: if you answer 1 question in 3 minutes and the subsequent one in 2 minutes, then you only answered 2 qs in 5 mins, whereas you could have answered maybe 4 in the 5 mins. Would only answering 2 qs (but it was highly informative and good) be beneficial over answering 4 qs- does the concept of quality over quantity apply here?

What is the depth of knowledge I should know? Is there any checklist available that I can follow through for my interview revision? Also, the checklist that the actual interviewees have, is it available anywhere online?

Would looking straight into the eyes of the interviewer make you seem more competitive? Or could you look away, and look at the table a couple of times, and still be ok? When I tend to talk to people/friends and etc, I don't mainly look at them in the eye, I tend to look around. But I do also look in the eyes. Would this be an advantage?

Is looking really smart on the day an advantage? Like wearing a suit, fresh haircut, advantageous? I know it's about how you communicate and not how you look, but if I communicate well and dress smart, maybe they would be a bit bias towards me?

Generally, how long are the interview stations? And what concepts do they generally cover (as I mentioned earlier, is there any sort of checklist I could use)?

About work experience, what are the questions that they can ask you? Do they go into depth on what you did the whole time, or do they ask specifics like: "How did you learn teamwork was important in your work experience".

If they ask me a question, and I think on how to answer it for a good 10 seconds, would that be disadvantageous? Or should it be down to 5 seconds? I tend to need slightly more time to think because if I answer it straight away (or after 5 seconds) I tend to waffle. Like what is the time limit I even have to thing? Do I tell them to give me 15 seconds to think, or do I just think and not warn them I may think for quite some time, and then answer the question after those 15 seconds?

For each station, would they give us like 2 minutes to prepare in the back or would it be a complete circuit? How much time do we have, to prepare in the back before the interview starts?

So let's say "Empathy skills" was a checklist on the interviewees sheet and I said: "During my work experience, I witnessed how difficult it is to have a brain disorder such as dementia. From seeing how it affects their daily lives, from not being able to walk independently, eat independently (and etc), I was able to help them carry out these exercises..... blah blah blah" Is this a good way of approaching the question? Or should I follow a specific format- does anyone know any format I could use? For example: in English you have PEE paragraphs, is there one similar to that in interviews? Is this format good: Say which part of my work experience made me feel "teamwork" was essential, then say how I observed this (essentially explaining what I observed), and finally saying how I have been able to reflect on this and understand how it is important to the role of a Doctor.

Oh yeah, for my final point of each of my answers, do I relate how it is important to the role of the doctor? For example if the point is about "Communciation skills", in the final part of my answer do I say how it is important to the role of a Doctor- would this make me competitive?

Is logically explaining your points clearly advantageous? For example- as mentioned above, following a format would it help make my explanations logical and clear?

Would talking in a shaky voice (maybe for the first 5 mins or so, as I would be nervous by the environment of the interview) be harmful to me bagging the offer? Do med unis generally take this seriously?

How can I improve my confidence skills in talking? I know it is achieved through practice, but what is the best way? Do I get like a group of 5 friends and have them stare at me whilst I answer questions? Is this effective. What is the maximum number of interviewees at a panel- is it 2,3 what is it?

Overall, what makes a student very competitive for the offer? If my communication skills, explaining points logically and clearly, good recap from work experience enough to bag the offer? If you realised, I left out the "background NHS knowledge here"- if I generally do not know anything about the NHS, would that be harmful to my overall interview (taking into consideration that the things I mentioned 1 line above, is how my performance was)?
You have so many questions! Personally have looked through some materials to find out roughly the areas to look into : don’t know about others but would say that outcomes for graduates, consensus on role of a doctor and qualities for selection ones are good; some base knowledge about the nhs may be wise so you can think about looking at topics in the context the nhs was founded in; you may want to look at specific uni info as that’s good to know and maybe a bit about what’s going on in health at the moment. Topics are likely similar although may be differently emphasised at different unis. Prep time depends on how organised you are and how much knowledge and confidence you already have
Exdoz
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DGeorge13)
You have so many questions! Personally have looked through some materials to find out roughly the areas to look into : don’t know about others but would say that outcomes for graduates, consensus on role of a doctor and qualities for selection ones are good; some base knowledge about the nhs may be wise so you can think about looking at topics in the context the nhs was founded in; you may want to look at specific uni info as that’s good to know and maybe a bit about what’s going on in health at the moment. Topics are likely similar although may be differently emphasised at different unis. Prep time depends on how organised you are and how much knowledge and confidence you already have
Obviously I'm not going to prepare without knowing what I am preparing for- I hope someone answers all these questions. I think I pretty much asked the majority of qs, so it could defo help someone else as well, as long as someone responds to them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (143)
18.94%
Labour (322)
42.65%
Liberal Democrats (153)
20.26%
Green Party (41)
5.43%
Brexit Party (21)
2.78%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.26%
SNP (9)
1.19%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.79%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)