The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by returnmigrant
I think that would be a very unfair question, and I can't imagine that you would actually get asked that.

I cant see the point of asking you that - all the MMI stations are supposed to be testing a particular skill, attribute or behaviour, and asking you to waffle-on in a totally unstructured way - well, what would that show/prove/illustrate?

Yes I suppose your right. Best to get some bullet points just in case though. I reckon it’s more of a panel style question. Thanks though!!
Original post by Chickenhead11
U could probably mention any hobbies you have and what u have learnt from them? Then talk about any skills / adjectives that describe u?

Yeh good idea. Thanks !!
Hey all, I have an issue thinking of an example where I experienced a conflict. I'm quite lucky in that I tend to be very non-confrontational and chill and so, haven't been in any conflicts as such.

However, I have a terrible relationship with my dad and this is the only conflict I can think of but I also don't want my interview to be a therapy session lol.

Is it too much to bring in family? Can I talk about examples without making it too personal or idk. Soz I'm really stuck if this question comes up.

This question is a bit weird to ask but would love some insight if you have any :smile:
Original post by NamjoonMedic
Hey all, I have an issue thinking of an example where I experienced a conflict. I'm quite lucky in that I tend to be very non-confrontational and chill and so, haven't been in any conflicts as such.

However, I have a terrible relationship with my dad and this is the only conflict I can think of but I also don't want my interview to be a therapy session lol.

Is it too much to bring in family? Can I talk about examples without making it too personal or idk. Soz I'm really stuck if this question comes up.

This question is a bit weird to ask but would love some insight if you have any :smile:

I think if it's relevant to the question, there's no harm in mentioning your family.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by NamjoonMedic

I really wouldn't. Its going to be very difficult to analyse it objectively.
A better example would be a time where others were in conflict around you and you use your chill-ness to diffuse tension if you can find one.
Will they ask knowledge based questions in MMI e.g. structure of NHS?
I thought the point of interview was whether to assess if you have qualities of a doctor, not if you can cram.
I understand this question may seem stupid, but I saw a video of an interview where the candidate laughed every now and then. Does it make a bad impression if I do, of course when appropriate? For example, say the interviewer gives me a scenario and three possible ways to respond to it. They ask for an opinion about each of the ways to respond, and one of them is an extremely inappropriate way to respond. In cases such as this one, would it be ok if I laughed spontaneously or should I avoid doing so?
Original post by Medikj
I understand this question may seem stupid, but I saw a video of an interview where the candidate laughed every now and then. Does it make a bad impression if I do, of course when appropriate? For example, say the interviewer gives me a scenario and three possible ways to respond to it. They ask for an opinion about each of the ways to respond, and one of them is an extremely inappropriate way to respond. In cases such as this one, would it be ok if I laughed spontaneously or should I avoid doing so?

Would probably avoid - last thing you want is to come off as irreverent.
Original post by Medwizard
I thought the point of interview was whether to assess if you have qualities of a doctor, not if you can cram.

Except all Drs in the UK will work in the NHS at some point, so it is about determining if you have put yourself in a position to understand what the future is likely to hold for a doctor
Original post by Medwizard

it is also to see if you are genuinely interested in a career in medicine. Arguably, if you don't know a thing about the NHS or even some outdated info, you aren't really that driven. it doesn't really come down to cramming.
Hey guys I’m hoping to do a MMI course right at the start of January prior to my first interview and I was looking at Medic Portal, does anyone know if it’s useful or if other ones would be better? Thanks :smile:
Medic Portal one is good if you are willing to pay for it I’ve gone to one
Original post by Razza2000
it is also to see if you are genuinely interested in a career in medicine. Arguably, if you don't know a thing about the NHS or even some outdated info, you aren't really that driven. it doesn't really come down to cramming.

The Medical Schools Council says this " It is also felt that the MMI is less susceptible to coaching, giving
students from disadvantaged and non-standard backgrounds a fairer chance". My experience tells me it randomises the whole process by testing students on facts that they may or may not have come across. It is actually the worst of all.
I'm not sure if I'm going to come to one of my interviews. If I confirm that I am going to come (confirmation needs to be sent now while interview is in January), but after some time decide that I will show not up on the day of the interview, would it be ok to cancel it?
Original post by Jus1000
I'm not sure if I'm going to come to one of my interviews. If I confirm that I am going to come (confirmation needs to be sent now while interview is in January), but after some time decide that I will show not up on the day of the interview, would it be ok to cancel it?

Yes, you can cancel it - just phone/email them to tell them.
But - PLEASE do it as early as possible so that they can invite another person to fill that slot.
Hiya sorry if this is a silly question or has been asked before but in a role play scenario can I pretend to hand the actor a tissue or a glass of water even of these items arent present on the room and would the actor just go along with it or is this a weird thing to do. Thanks
if we take a few moments to pause when they ask us the question to consider our answer, could this come across as being unprepared or is this acceptable?
Original post by molloy150
if we take a few moments to pause when they ask us the question to consider our answer, could this come across as being unprepared or is this acceptable?

I think it's a good thing as long as the pause isnt too long ot shows that your not jumping into a conclusion or taking one side but this shows them that you can gather your thoughts and communicate this effectively whilst evaluating both sides.😊
Reply 798
Original post by 13thomasal
Hiya sorry if this is a silly question or has been asked before but in a role play scenario can I pretend to hand the actor a tissue or a glass of water even of these items arent present on the room and would the actor just go along with it or is this a weird thing to do. Thanks

No not at all weird. It shows genuine empathy, which will be appreciated.
Original post by 13thomasal

I would ask them if they want a tissue/water/a moment rather than doing a mime lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending