The Student Room Group

stalker at uni

I had a stalker at uni and i didnt finish course because of this. Uni wont let me rejoin
Original post by beenletdown
I had a stalker at uni and i didnt finish course because of this. Uni wont let me rejoin

Its very hard to say off just this, whether the Uni made the right choice.

If you had made a complaint to the uni &/or police, received insufficient support to deal with the situation, then that would be massively unfair.

If one day you just un-rolled then 12 months later asked to re-join, I would say the decision by the uni is probably pretty resonable unless you can provide evidence
Reply 2
I am sorry - it only posted part of my actual post - I will edit it.

I had a stalker at university in 2017. I was in my final year and a 1st class student, constantly achieving high firsts in my mods. The stalker turned out to be someone unknown to me, a member of staff that I had a brief 30 second conversation with who decided to access my personal university account on their main protected computer system and gain my personal details such as my phone number and home address. The stress and frightening manner of the situation caused me to leave the course only 3 months before graduating. I reported the sexualised telephone calls and texts to the university but it was my partner who managed to find out who this person was by popping his number into Facebook of all things! The university reacted by investigating and resulted in the sacking of this individual. This person actually called me again straight after that tribunal so in my opinion it wasn't a strong enough warning or punishment. The police were not called and I feel aggrieved by that - I know I could have reported this but as there was a police officer on campus I feel that the uni would have passed this on as an incident but nothing ever came of it so I assume they did not. I would like to finish my degree but the uni are being quite obtrusive. Not once have they followed up with support let alone gave me support at the time and I haven't heard anything since. I just don't know what to do. Everything feels out of my control yet my education is frozen and my life is ruined because of the way this has been handled. I am over 27k in debt with only a HE Diploma to show for it. I just don't know who to turn to.

I had a stalker at university in 2017. I was in my final year and a 1st class student, constantly achieving high firsts in my mods. The stalker turned out to be someone unknown to me, a member of staff that I had a brief 30 second conversation with who decided to access my personal university account on their main protected computer system and gain my personal details such as my phone number and home address. The stress and frightening manner of the situation caused me to leave the course only 3 months before graduating. I reported the sexualised telephone calls and texts to the university but it was my partner who managed to find out who this person was by popping his number into Facebook of all things! The university reacted by investigating and resulted in the sacking of this individual. This person actually called me again straight after that tribunal so in my opinion it wasn't a strong enough warning or punishment. The police were not called and I feel aggrieved by that - I know I could have reported this but as there was a police officer on campus I feel that the uni would have passed this on as an incident but nothing ever came of it so I assume they did not. I would like to finish my degree but the uni are being quite obtrusive. Not once have they followed up with support let alone gave me support at the time and I haven't heard anything since. I just don't know what to do. Everything feels out of my control yet my education is frozen and my life is ruined because of the way this has been handled. I am over 27k in debt with only a HE Diploma to show for it. I just don't know who to turn to.

Well this seems extremely harsh, especially given they essentially breached your data. This is well over the line, and it seems ridiculously poor from the Uni to not take these circumstances, all i can think is maybe your new application only got too a couple pencil pushers in student services.

I would call back and demand a conversation will the vice-chancellor/upper-managment. Then explain the situation to them and how deeply upset you are at the way you have been treated (given it is Uni personal who were in the wrong, and im guessing this has broken all sorts of ethics codes and probably even laws).

If this doesn't work, id call other Unis explain the situation and ask them given your exceptional circumstances if they can transfer credits so you can finish. If your uni refuses to help I would consider naming & shaming as well (if you want to).

This is just my off the cuff suggestion, but @999tigger @harrysbar can offer some advice, (you two always seem to have good suggestions). Just so unusual I dont know what else to suggest.
Its also just occurred to me that maybe the course structure has changed and so your pathway (you were on) is no longer a thing, although given this is the Unis fault they need to be more mindful and come up with a way or transferring credit. (this is just speculation as to why they wont let you back, but they need to do something if the situation is as you described)

So you left in Summer 2018?
Did you talk to their safeguarding officer?
What did the decision say?
There was no contact between them and you?
You didnt contact your department?
Did you make a complaint?
You could have called the police yourself?
Have you asked them if you can finish your degree?
Maybe make a claim about their aftercare, especially as it was proven you were true?
You could go and see a lawyer because this stalker was an employee of the uni?

Your life inst out of control, its just a bump and you arent ruined.
You mean you are 27k in student debt? That is quasi debt and not real debt.

So the issue is should the uni have done more and have you done anything to resume your studies? It is unclear.
There should be some support services, so no idea why they kicked in and why your pt wouldnt say anything considering the person was found guilty. The circumstances of you leaving isnt clear.

Cant really take it any further as need more info including the uni and a timeline of events.

If as you said they did nothing then that would seem odd as well as letting you just leave. I dont feel we have the full story.

Besides the complaint issue you need to decide whether you want to go back to the same uni or transfer to a new one to finish your degree off. Third year transfers are difficult but not impossible. No idea about your course etc.

Those are my initial observations.

1. You arent finished.
2. Dont worry about student debt.
3. Someone will take you if you dont wish to go back.
4. You should find out what went on and then make a complaint if it feels they have let you down.
Ask for a written statement if their decision. From there you’ll have more to go on and take it to your MP. Universities don’t like bad publicity and threats to funding. MP always write letters for constituents asking for situations to be reconsidered. If it’s your last option, try it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending