A-level chemistry help urgenttt!!!

Watch this thread
SAB10
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I have the following question and iv been stuck on it for a while and iv got a whole lot of them but I don't know how to do it

Calculate the PH of the solutions formed in the following way.
Addition of 250 cm3 of water to 50cm3 of 0.2 moldm-3 HN03

Someone please help😂
username4736430
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
wouldnt it remain the same
SAB10
Rep:
Why would it remain the same?
Sorry I'm just trying to understand
username4736430
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
because H2O splits into H+ and OH- which both cancel eachother out
username4736430
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
are u given the ka/pka in the question?
ComicMage031
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
calculate the change in the concentration of HNO3. now that you have a new concentration and HNO3 is a strong acid, the pH of the solution is the negative log (to the base ten) of the concentration of H+ ions, which, in this case, is the same as the concentration of the acid
SAB10
Rep:
So it would just be -log(0.2)? I'm still confused though ahaha wouldn't adding water dilute it hence changing the ph?
SAB10
Rep:
(Original post by ComicMage031)
calculate the change in the concentration of HNO3. now that you have a new concentration and HNO3 is a strong acid, the pH of the solution is the negative log (to the base ten) of the concentration of H+ ions, which, in this case, is the same as the concentration of the acid
How would I work out the change in concentration? Sorry do you think you could talk me through it please?
ComicMage031
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
yeah so we first calculate the total number of moles in the 50cm3 solution which is 0.05*0.2 and equals 0.01 moles of HNO3. Now we calculate the new concentration with the new volume, (50 + 250 = 300). to do that we just divide the number of moles, 0.01, by the volume in DM3, 0.3. the new concentration comes to be (1/30) or (0.033). now we calculate the concentration of H+ ions in our 0.0333M solution. since HNO3 is a strong acid, that is it disassociates completely when dissolved in water, the concentration of H+ ions in the solution is the same as the concentration of HNO3; 0.0333 moldm-3. now we take the negative log of the concentration of H+ ions. -log[H+] = -log[0.03333] = 1.477 ~ 1.48
SAB10
Rep:
Awesome thanks
SAB10
Rep:
Well we're here, I have another question
To calculate the ph of 10 gdm-3 Hcl
So I have done: 10/36.5 = 0.27
-log(0.27) = 0.56
Is this correct?
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SAB10)
Well we're here, I have another question
To calculate the ph of 10 gdm-3 Hcl
So I have done: 10/36.5 = 0.27
-log(0.27) = 0.56
Is this correct?
I haven't got my calculator out to check your working, but the method is right.
Ardell
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Well, this just put me off A-level chem
Wonderfully made
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Heyyy
I had the same question and that is what I did!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (92)
19.96%
The paper was reasonable (176)
38.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.81%
It was TERRIBLE (74)
16.05%

Watched Threads