Trogloyte
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I do English lit as an Alevel (Im in year 13), and Ive really been struggling on writing good essays. Im a band 3 and occasiosionally scrape a band 4, Im predicted a C, but I need a B. My essays are what I think is really dragging me down in the subject (everything else is fine). I dont know what it is but when it comes to writing an essay my mind goes blank and I genrally feel like crying because I know even if it takes mme 6 hoursw to write the essay it's still going to be dire.
Any advice?
fdbghfgtrfsegf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ask your teachers for model answers and look at examiner reports And steal their quotes, context and critics and look at the exam structure, there’s always a similar structure you need to stick to as that’s how the examiners mark it. You could write amazingly but if your exam technique is ****e you won’t do well. You need a good introduction and conclusion as that’s the first impression and last thing your examiner remembers. Remember to do a PEEL structure for each paragraph, linking it back to the question. You need to check the assessment objectives for each question, if it’s 50% context then you need a lotttt of context. And learn a few critics. So make your point then put in historical or biographical context and link it to the point you made and then to the whole question and back it up with a critic. The context will feel unnatural to shove in but you just have to do it to get the mark, you will get it as long as you link it to your point. Also use key words like hubris and hamartia which is the fatal flaw leading to a downfall of a tragic heroine, just makes you sound smarter tbh. I suggest making essay plan for each of the key themes in the books and maybe get a teacher to approve it so you’re already prepared. And look at YouTube videos A* students have made about it. Hope I helped a bit x
redmeercat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't practise writing essays, practise writing paragraphs. Spend the time that you'd spend on one essay on a paragraph, but make it the best you've ever written (except for hmk essays, of course!). Start by doing all your usual analysis outside essay structure, and come up with a conclusion for your paragraph. Next, decide which components of the text support that conclusion. E.g. if you were arguing a dualistic society in Streetcar, you might talk about the disparities between cultured music, changing clothing and cruel choices which present a human side of society against the spontaneous, desirous and survivalistic qualities. After that, keep a tick list beside your essay as you write so that you can tick of context, deeper analysis, language, form, structure etc.
s23_OB
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I do proofreading for essays and all other worded pieces. I attained a 2.1 in my international relations B.A and a 1st within my counter-terrorism MSc degree. It's a 24-hour service and I can guarantee this service will produce your best work, thanks.
darrenwilson4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by redmeercat)
Don't practise writing essays, practise writing paragraphs. Spend the time that you'd spend on one essay on a paragraph, but make it the best you've ever written (except for hmk essays, of course!). Start by doing all your usual analysis outside essay structure, and come up with a conclusion for your paragraph. Next, decide which components of the text support that conclusion. E.g. if you were arguing a dualistic society in Streetcar, you might talk about the disparities between cultured music, changing clothing and cruel choices which present a human side of society against the spontaneous, desirous and survivalistic qualities. After that, keep a tick list beside your essay as you write so that you can tick of context, deeper analysis, language, form, structure etc.
for you to grow your grades you can try w w w . prohackglobal . com you will be amazed at the level of perfection and highly confidential.
Trogloyte
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by fdbghfgtrfsegf)
Ask your teachers for model answers and look at examiner reports And steal their quotes, context and critics and look at the exam structure, there’s always a similar structure you need to stick to as that’s how the examiners mark it. You could write amazingly but if your exam technique is ****e you won’t do well. You need a good introduction and conclusion as that’s the first impression and last thing your examiner remembers. Remember to do a PEEL structure for each paragraph, linking it back to the question. You need to check the assessment objectives for each question, if it’s 50% context then you need a lotttt of context. And learn a few critics. So make your point then put in historical or biographical context and link it to the point you made and then to the whole question and back it up with a critic. The context will feel unnatural to shove in but you just have to do it to get the mark, you will get it as long as you link it to your point. Also use key words like hubris and hamartia which is the fatal flaw leading to a downfall of a tragic heroine, just makes you sound smarter tbh. I suggest making essay plan for each of the key themes in the books and maybe get a teacher to approve it so you’re already prepared. And look at YouTube videos A* students have made about it. Hope I helped a bit x
thankyou so much will do, but its like even when I do, do some of these things or when I write an essay and think it's decent, it comes back being really bad
Trogloyte
Rep:
?
(Original post by redmeercat)
thankyou!
Trogloyte
Rep:
?
(Original post by s23_OB)
I do proofreading for essays and all other worded pieces. I attained a 2.1 in my international relations B.A and a 1st within my counter-terrorism MSc degree. It's a 24-hour service and I can guarantee this service will produce your best work, thanks.
Woah!!!! That's amazing, is it a free service?
Trogloyte
Rep:
?
(Original post by darrenwilson4)
for you to grow your grades you can try w w w . prohackglobal . com you will be amazed at the level of perfection and highly confidential.
Thankyou!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (117)
63.59%
No (67)
36.41%

Watched Threads