[Debate] – Turkish Military Intervention in Northern Syria. Watch

Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Something I mentioned in my manifesto was introudcing debates on current affairs in the news. With no new items for 3 days now I have decided to start a debate so people do not slip away from MHoC (and hopefully new people will come in)

On the 6th of October Donald Trump ordered American troops to withdraw from Northern Syria where they had been assisting the Kurdish forces who had been instrumental in the ground war against ISIS and are holding a number of IS prisoners.

The Turkish military assualt began on October 9th with an attack on several Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) held towns. The operation is intneded to push out the SDF who Turkey claims have links to the Kurdish Workers Party (PKK). Turkey and the Kurds have been in conflict since the 70s.

In repsonce the Syrian Assad government has announced that it is moving troops to the border to counter Turkish agression, and has apparently reached a deal with the SDF.

As a result Kurdish forces guarding IS prisoners have been called for the battle, this has allowed IS members to escape.

Internatinally Turkey has been condemed by: The Arab league, The EU and others.

What do we think about this? Have we betrayed our former Kuridsh allies? Was it the right time for Trump to withdraw from Syria? Should Turkey stop or continue its plans?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
The "we" is really the USA and not everyone else.
Yes they betrayed in a big way. Bad policy.
Can the EU do anything? Not really, sanctions I suppose but for good or ill they are a Nato member so its more behind the scenes. Yes maybe in conjunction with the US. Turkey will release all the immigrants into the EU, so they have them by the cojones.

Trump really stitched them up.
He could have given them warning.
He could have given them heavy weapons to protect themselves with.

Wouldnt blame them if they released all the IS prisoners.

Erdogan has his own agenda. America first, Turkey first etc. Funny how Trump thinks this is a good move and cant see the damage it will do to the USA in the medium and long term.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am concerned that this will allow ISIS to regroup now that the Kurds are too busy fighting Turkish forces to fight ISIS.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Something I mentioned in my manifesto was introudcing debates on current affairs in the news. With no new items for 3 days now I have decided to start a debate so people do not slip away from MHoC (and hopefully new people will come in)

On the 6th of October Donald Trump ordered American troops to withdraw from Northern Syria where they had been assisting the Kurdish forces who had been instrumental in the ground war against ISIS and are holding a number of IS prisoners.

The Turkish military assualt began on October 9th with an attack on several Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) held towns. The operation is intneded to push out the SDF who Turkey claims have links to the Kurdish Workers Party (PKK). Turkey and the Kurds have been in conflict since the 70s.

In repsonce the Syrian Assad government has announced that it is moving troops to the border to counter Turkish agression, and has apparently reached a deal with the SDF.

As a result Kurdish forces guarding IS prisoners have been called for the battle, this has allowed IS members to escape.

Internatinally Turkey has been condemed by: The Arab league, The EU and others.

What do we think about this? Have we betrayed our former Kuridsh allies? Was it the right time for Trump to withdraw from Syria? Should Turkey stop or continue its plans?
I think it is sad and Trump’s comments are appalling and silly, but I would not expect anything different to his usual style.

I think the EU and the US have betrayed the Kurdish people. Europe could have done something led by France, Germany and the UK, but instead we stood by and “condemned” the attacks.

On Turkey’s plans, I am on the fence because I can understand the claims that Erdogan is trying to create a “safe” zone for his country’s security. However, I would have advised for a different approach to achieving that outcome.

If it was the UK that had to create a safe zone, I doubt that anyone would have condemned such a move.

Finally, I hope, after Brexit, the UK can have bolder foreign policies and use the UN Security Council to push an international rules-based order.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Trump should of course be blamed for abandoning the Kurds to ethnic cleansing but of course the other NATO countries and the EU have likewise refused to take any substantive action to aid the Kurds, making us therefore equally complicit.
AnxiousGuy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All erdogan wants is peace near it’s border. Turkey is tired of looking after 4 million syrian refugees. It’s time to clear those terrorists up so turkey can send syrians back to their country. Don’t anyone dare say turkey supports isis. Turkey is the country that suffered from Isis attacks more than any other country. All the way back in 2014, 15, 16 there were bomb attacks everyday. Also, turkey did numerous operations in the past against Daesh and ISIS, such as operation olive branch, operation euphrates shield. Turkey wants to destroy ISIS, PKK or any other god damn terrorists in the area. There’s so many fake news out there saying turkey is killing babies. All of them have been proven wrong. The only goal of turkey is to wipe out every living terrorist soul in syria so it can send the refugees back to their own country safely. It can’t look after syrian refugees forever. Turkey has nothing against kurds. In fact there are millions of kurds happily living in turkey. Turkey is only against the PKK, who isn’t real kurds. They are terrorists. Terrorism has no religion, culture. There are even chinese people, asian people, english/american people involved in the PKK. It’s not only kurds. There was a video i watched but i can’t find the link.

edit: found the link - https://youtu.be/tYVeKBAXQEs

look at this video, wtf is chinese and american ypg terrorists doing there
Last edited by AnxiousGuy; 1 month ago
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't know enough about the issue to hold a position.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This action to me is one of the many reasons why Turkey will never join the EU.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
This action to me is one of the many reasons why Turkey will never join the EU.
Turkey will join the EU. Don't fall for the lies.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
The "we" is really the USA and not everyone else.
Yes they betrayed in a big way. Bad policy.
Can the EU do anything? Not really, sanctions I suppose but for good or ill they are a Nato member so its more behind the scenes. Yes maybe in conjunction with the US. Turkey will release all the immigrants into the EU, so they have them by the cojones.

Trump really stitched them up.
He could have given them warning.
He could have given them heavy weapons to protect themselves with.

Wouldnt blame them if they released all the IS prisoners.

Erdogan has his own agenda. America first, Turkey first etc. Funny how Trump thinks this is a good move and cant see the damage it will do to the USA in the medium and long term.
A foreign country no where near the USA. Most foreign IS fighters are European, not American. The violence is spilling into Europe, not the USA. The ME is geographically closer and more economically important to the EU than the USA.

Why should the USA be there doing anything at all?

The ME should be left alone to govern itself.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
A foreign country no where near the USA. Most foreign IS fighters are European, not American. The violence is spilling into Europe, not the USA. The ME is geographically closer and more economically important to the EU than the USA.

Why should the USA be there doing anything at all?

The ME should be left alone to govern itself.
The US was already there Maddie, fighting ISIS with the Kurds.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
The US was already there Maddie, fighting ISIS with the Kurds.
Yeah...so?

The USA had withdrawn. Why should the USA stay there fighting? The USA can't be the region's police force forever. Trump is doing what people have been calling for - pulling out of unwinnable wars and minding its own business
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah...so?

The USA had withdrawn. Why should the USA stay there fighting? The USA can't be the region's police force forever. Trump is doing what people have been calling for - pulling out of unwinnable wars and minding its own business
I was giving you the information as you seemed confused about US presence in the region - "Why should the USA be there doing anything at all?"

I agree that the fight between the Kurds and Turkey is nothing to do with the US, however the complexity is that the Kurds were fighting ISIS and with Turkey's action leading to the Kurds fighting them instead of ISIS, it gives the latter a reprieve to potentially regroup.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
I was giving you the information as you seemed confused about US presence in the region - "Why should the USA be there doing anything at all?"

I agree that the fight between the Kurds and Turkey is nothing to do with the US, however the complexity is that the Kurds were fighting ISIS and with Turkey's action leading to the Kurds fighting them instead of ISIS, it gives the latter a reprieve to potentially regroup.
Turkey is fighting the Kurds and ISIS; the Kurds are fighting Turkey, ISIS and the Syrian government; and the US was fighting ISIS. The Turkish should listen to the old adage and work together with the Kurds. However, after decades of persecution in Turkey I can see why Turkey doesn't want a strong, multinational ethnic Kurdish region. It challenges Turkish authority in land it currently rules supreme. The calls for the USA to remain in position are ill-founded. The USA's presence only stabilises the country because Turkey will not attack American troops. Now or in a decade, unless American troops will be replaced with Syrian troops under command of a strong Syrian regime, Turkey will attack whenever the Americans leave. There is also a strong possibility Turkey would attack regardless to weaken anything Kurdish. Syrian will not stand up to the superior firepower of Turkey.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Turkey is fighting the Kurds and ISIS; the Kurds are fighting Turkey, ISIS and the Syrian government; and the US was fighting ISIS. The Turkish should listen to the old adage and work together with the Kurds. However, after decades of persecution in Turkey I can see why Turkey doesn't want a strong, multinational ethnic Kurdish region. It challenges Turkish authority in land it currently rules supreme. The calls for the USA to remain in position are ill-founded. The USA's presence only stabilises the country because Turkey will not attack American troops. Now or in a decade, unless American troops will be replaced with Syrian troops under command of a strong Syrian regime, Turkey will attack whenever the Americans leave. There is also a strong possibility Turkey would attack regardless to weaken anything Kurdish. Syrian will not stand up to the superior firepower of Turkey.
Yes.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not our problem and there is no reason to get involved, certainly not at this time.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Trump should of course be blamed for abandoning the Kurds to ethnic cleansing but of course the other NATO countries and the EU have likewise refused to take any substantive action to aid the Kurds, making us therefore equally complicit.
This.

- My personal view as many of you know is that we should play a more robust role in guaranteeing our security and economic interests in the region and that as relative allies of the west we should be supportive of the Syrian Kurds (either in helping them join the Iraqi autonomous territory or strengthening their own position as one within Syria). Turkey on the other hand is a very large Islamic state with increasing ties to Russia who since the aborted coup have entrenched that position.

The one positive to this i hope will be that it reopens the debate of where we draw the line in terms of direct alliance and more specifically whether Turkey should remain part of NATO and even whether it should have its EU membership application fully rejected.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (62)
32.29%
Spring (36)
18.75%
Autumn/Fall (48)
25%
Winter (36)
18.75%
I love them all equally (10)
5.21%