The Student Room Group

How should I get the most out of my volunteering placements?

Hi all,

I've been offered a volunteering position at a local care home, but honestly I'm a bit confused as to how to go forward with the position.

So far, I've been shown around the home and given an brief overview of the weekly schedule for the residents etc. But the problem is that neither of us have a clear plan on how I could be of help at the home, the manager knows I'm interested in a career in medicine and is supportive of that, but he isn't quite clear (as am I) on what tasks I should be doing. He has so far mentioned that he wouldn't like me doing any tasks that the caregivers would be normally doing as he thinks that it wouldn't be meaningful to make someone work for free what is otherwise a paid position.

I've put myself forward to be an assistant in any of the regular weekly recreational activities, but I'm not sure if this is the best way to get the most of the experience. The manager is happy with me doing this initially, but I think the idea may be to transition from this to something else.

Could anyone offer some advice for working in this kind of setting? Any suggestions as to what you did and how you approached the issue of finding a meaningful task would be great!

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by ferrus_manus
Hi all,

I've been offered a volunteering position at a local care home, but honestly I'm a bit confused as to how to go forward with the position.

So far, I've been shown around the home and given an brief overview of the weekly schedule for the residents etc. But the problem is that neither of us have a clear plan on how I could be of help at the home, the manager knows I'm interested in a career in medicine and is supportive of that, but he isn't quite clear (as am I) on what tasks I should be doing. He has so far mentioned that he wouldn't like me doing any tasks that the caregivers would be normally doing as he thinks that it wouldn't be meaningful to make someone work for free what is otherwise a paid position.

I've put myself forward to be an assistant in any of the regular weekly recreational activities, but I'm not sure if this is the best way to get the most of the experience. The manager is happy with me doing this initially, but I think the idea may be to transition from this to something else.

Could anyone offer some advice for working in this kind of setting? Any suggestions as to what you did and how you approached the issue of finding a meaningful task would be great!

Thanks

I think you should roll your sleeves up and really get involved. Tell the Manager you do not mind what you do, and are happy to help out voluntarily, with anything the caregivers do, as this is how you are going to find out most about what it involves, but also that you are happy to do things that the carers might not get chance to do as they are dealing with the physical needs of residents.
Assisting with weekly activities is great, helping with meals, card games, board games, dominoes, bingo, reading to residents who may struggle to do so themselves, leading sing-alongs or "name-that-tune", news or other quizzes, just sitting and reminiscing, maybe crafting or making a memory book with a resident and their carers, with old pictures, things that have meant something to them in the past, etc. Depending on the level of impairment of the residents, a "busy box" or board can be helpful - setting up a box with different textures, shapes, etc to distract people with cognitive impairment when they are agitated. My son did one for a lady, with a soft toy, a doll, knitting (she used to love to knit), physio putty (like play doh and good for hand mobility), different fabrics, etc that she used to sit with by her and work through the objects which helped to calm her down. He also did one for a man to use in the garden (he was a keen gardener) with soil, sand, bulbs, seeds etc (these were very cognitively impaired residents). Being male, he was particularly popular with the male residents as he could talk about rugby, football, cricket, etc in a way they were more receptive of than from a female (unfair, but maybe age appropriate?). He likes baking, so used to use play doh to roll out and knead for a keen cook. He also supervised a lady who liked to fold washing - would do it for hours and he would watch and chat whilst she did. Staff unfortunately rarely get time for this type of thing.
These all give you a chance to see what residents struggle with and how carers interact with them. Also try to talk to relatives about their experiences and feelings, as these also help to show the difficulties getting older and frailed entails. Ask questions, of residents and staff - how does it feel to....? What do you most struggle with....? What is the biggest change you have noticed...? What do you enjoy most/least....?
Make sure to note (afterwards) instances of things that will be useful for an interview, eg teamwork, empathy, compassion, leadership, problem solving, etc
My son loved his time volunteering and it certainly gave him a good insight into what getting older entails as well as increasing his confidence, empathy and compassion.
Original post by ferrus_manus
Hi all,

Thanks

Genuinely do whatever you feel capable of doing and want to do. He's right that you can't make someone work for free, but the whole point of volunteering is that you willingly do something for free. I'd advise helping out with the caregivers and ask them if you can help with anything, if not, then maybe just talk to the residents and offer to help with anything. In terms of your concerns about getting the most from your experience, it honestly doesn't really matter, just keep going every week and this will look really good on your personal statement. It doesn't matter what you do at the care home, it will look good enough to say you have volunteered long term in a care home with vulnerable people. Weekly recreational activities is really good in fact and would be more than sufficient. If you talk to people then it will also look good to say that you developed your communication skills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending