peeked
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I want to apply for Cambridge, UCL, kings and Nottingham but UCL, kings and Cambridge are all quite competitive so what is the likelihood of no offers and then getting into medicine via clearing in the summer?

Stats btw:
A level predictions A*A*A* bio chem maths
GCSEs 999998877A*
A in AS physics
UCAT - 2860 B2 (93rd percentile)
BMAT - not done yet
Work exp - 2 weeks at 2 hospitals + care home
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by peeked)
I want to apply for Cambridge, UCL, kings and Nottingham but UCL, kings and Cambridge are all quite competitive so what is the likelihood of no offers and then getting into medicine via clearing in the summer?...
Are you actually asking what happens if you get no offers, or are you asking whether you have made the right choice.

If you are asking the former, then Clearing, gap year or doing a degree then graduate entry medicine are the options. This question has ben asked plenty of times before.

If it's the latter, then you should have posted in the "which medical school should I apply to" megathread.

Cambridge is not particular competitive, read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...etition-ratios
peeked
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Are you actually asking what happens if you get no offers, or are you asking whether you have made the right choice.

If you are asking the former, then Clearing, gap year or doing a degree then graduate entry medicine are the options. This question has ben asked plenty of times before.

If it's the latter, then you should have posted in the "which medical school should I apply to" megathread.

Cambridge is not particular competitive, read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...etition-ratios
I've already posted in that thread, and I was asking both really and wdym Cambridge isn't that competitive - so with the stats mentioned I have a chance of an offer?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
...wdym Cambridge isn't that competitive - so with the stats mentioned I have a chance of an offer?
Cambridge's competition ratio is around the average, read the (albeit outdated) competition ratios page I posted.

You'll need to hope to get an interview first, then you'd have a chance. You're still yet to do BMAT as you said.

Remember double posting is against TSR rules!

Don't worry if you don't get any offers, a significant proportion of potential medical students do not get in during the first application and take a gap year. A productive one is encouraged by most medical schools; and you'd have achieved grades which could give you an advantage at some medical schools.
peeked
Rep:
?
Cambridge's competition ratio is around the average, read the (albeit outdated) competition ratios page I posted.

You'll need to hope to get an interview first, then you'd have a chance. You're still yet to do BMAT as you said.

Remember double posting is against TSR rules!

Don't worry if you don't get any offers, a significant proportion of potential medical students do not get in during the first application and take a gap year. A productive one is encouraged by most medical schools; and you'd have achieved grades which could give you an advantage at some medical schools.
Okay thank you but the thing is I'd rather not take a gap year as then as I feel like I do have decent predicted grades/ GCSEs and UCAT so far to go to uni this year it's just I'm worried about applying to places that are difficult to get into and getting no offers
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay thank you but the thing is I'd rather not take a gap year as then as I feel like I do have decent predicted grades/ GCSEs and UCAT so far to go to uni this year it's just I'm worried about applying to places that are difficult to get into and getting no offers
It's not just you who's worried that they'll get no offers!

There's nothing you can do other than trying your best at the BMAT and your A-Levels.

Just be patient, stop worrying so much and spend less time on TSR(!).
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your work experience seems a bit limited ...
peeked
Rep:
?
It's not just you who's worried that they'll get no offers!

There's nothing you can do other than trying your best at the BMAT and your A-Levels.

Just be patient, stop worrying so much and spend less time on TSR(!).
Applying to unis where I'm likely to get an interview is probably the biggest thing I can do to prevent getting no offers so that's why I'm TSR to search for advice on where I would be more/less likely to get an offer with my stats
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Applying to unis where I'm likely to get an interview is probably the biggest thing I can do to prevent getting no offers so that's why I'm TSR to search for advice on where I would be more/less likely to get an offer with my stats
So this is not the right thread then...

As I said, for the "Which medical school should I apply to" questions post there. Here I'll answer you "what happens if I don't get offers" which is your title of the thread.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Even if you don't get any offers that's fine because you can take a gap year and re-apply. This is absolutely fine and not something to get anxious about.

There aren't any easy choices or guaranteed outcomes when it comes to getting into medicine I'm afraid.
peeked
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
Even if you don't get any offers that's fine because you can take a gap year and re-apply. This is absolutely fine and not something to get anxious about.

There aren't any easy choices or guaranteed outcomes when it comes to getting into medicine I'm afraid.
Ik ik but there must be places that I'm more likely to get an interview right?
peeked
Rep:
?
So this is not the right thread then...

As I said, for the "Which medical school should I apply to" questions post there. Here I'll answer you "what happens if I don't get offers" which is your title of the thread.
Yeah but I also wrote so "what is the likelihood of no offers and then getting into medicine via clearing in the summer", like what are the chances of no interviews and then I get an offer through clearing in the summer like is that something that happens often? If I got really good grades like A*A*A then would this be very likely?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ik ik but there must be places that I'm more likely to get an interview right?
In which case it's possible that a smaller proportion of people interviewed get offers compared to the universities that are more stingy with interviews.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
... ? If I got really good grades like A*A*A then would this be very likely?
Don't be too optimistic.

These days more medical schools are entering Clearing, BUT they are doing so to get the students who got better than expected grades. Hence it's for those students with achieved As or A*s with no offers (and there are plenty of them).

As I said earlier and reaffirmed by Democracy, taking a gap year really isn't a problem.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 weeks ago
peeked
Rep:
?
Don't be too optimistic.

These days more medical schools are entering Clearing, BUT they are doing so to get the students who got better than expected grades. Hence it's for those students with achieved As or A*s with no offers (and there are plenty of them).

As I said earlier and reaffirmed by Democracy, taking a gap year really isn't a problem.
'Don't be too optimistic' jeez okay
I mean thanks for the advice but like I think it's very possible for a student to get A*A*A and was literally asking the likelihood of an offer through clearing with these grades. I think ik what grades I'm capable of to an extent
And as I said I would prefer not to take a gap year, does taking a gap year affect your chances of getting in the year after anyway as you already have your grades?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
'Don't be too optimistic' jeez okay
I mean thanks for the advice but like I think it's very possible for a student to get A*A*A and was literally asking the likelihood of an offer through clearing with these grades. I think ik what grades I'm capable of to an extent
And as I said I would prefer not to take a gap year, does taking a gap year affect your chances of getting in the year after anyway as you already have your grades?
A productive gap year is encouraged and at some med schools it will give you an advantage.

I made a thread for this year's Clearing for Medicine and most people didn't even get through to the call centre before the Clearing interview vacancies went. Some people got offers, but deferred for next year's entry. A few did get through that way, someone even got in Lincoln with ABB!

But still I wouldn't put too much hope on that, just to be realistic.
peeked
Rep:
?
A productive gap year is encouraged and at some med schools it will give you an advantage.

I made a thread for this year's Clearing for Medicine and most people didn't even get through to the call centre before the Clearing interview vacancies went. Some people got offers, but deferred for next year's entry. A few did get through that way, someone even got in Lincoln with ABB!

But still I wouldn't put too much hope on that, just to be realistic.
Okay thanks for the advice, I think I'll just swap out Cambridge for somewhere I'm more likely to get an offer like UEA/Birmingham/Sheffield/Bristol
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay thanks for the advice, I think I'll just swap out Cambridge for somewhere I'm more likely to get an offer like UEA/Birmingham/Sheffield/Bristol
UEA has been quite competitive traditionally... Read the website I liked above.
peeked
Rep:
?
UEA has been quite competitive traditionally... Read the website I liked above.
Okay thank you but surely the UEA is easier to get into than Cambridge
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay thank you but surely the UEA is easier to get into than Cambridge
Not necessarily. We are into the old "prestige" debate are we not? One could easily get rejected by other med schools but got an offer from Oxbridge because of their stats.

I thought we (not with you, but other posters) had a long enough debate on the other thread!

Apply according to your stats, not based on difficulties based on perceived prestige. @nexttime got rejected from 3 med schools but Oxford.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?