The Student Room Group

What happens if I get no offers medicine

I want to apply for Cambridge, UCL, kings and Nottingham but UCL, kings and Cambridge are all quite competitive so what is the likelihood of no offers and then getting into medicine via clearing in the summer?

Stats btw:
A level predictions A*A*A* bio chem maths
GCSEs 999998877A*
A in AS physics
UCAT - 2860 B2 (93rd percentile)
BMAT - not done yet
Work exp - 2 weeks at 2 hospitals + care home

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've already posted in that thread, and I was asking both really and wdym Cambridge isn't that competitive - so with the stats mentioned I have a chance of an offer?
Reply 2
Okay thank you but the thing is I'd rather not take a gap year as then as I feel like I do have decent predicted grades/ GCSEs and UCAT so far to go to uni this year it's just I'm worried about applying to places that are difficult to get into and getting no offers
Original post by peeked
Okay thank you but the thing is I'd rather not take a gap year as then as I feel like I do have decent predicted grades/ GCSEs and UCAT so far to go to uni this year it's just I'm worried about applying to places that are difficult to get into and getting no offers

Your work experience seems a bit limited ...
Reply 4
Applying to unis where I'm likely to get an interview is probably the biggest thing I can do to prevent getting no offers so that's why I'm TSR to search for advice on where I would be more/less likely to get an offer with my stats
Original post by peeked

Even if you don't get any offers that's fine because you can take a gap year and re-apply. This is absolutely fine and not something to get anxious about.

There aren't any easy choices or guaranteed outcomes when it comes to getting into medicine I'm afraid.
Reply 6
Original post by Democracy
Even if you don't get any offers that's fine because you can take a gap year and re-apply. This is absolutely fine and not something to get anxious about.

There aren't any easy choices or guaranteed outcomes when it comes to getting into medicine I'm afraid.

Ik ik but there must be places that I'm more likely to get an interview right?
Reply 7
Yeah but I also wrote so "what is the likelihood of no offers and then getting into medicine via clearing in the summer", like what are the chances of no interviews and then I get an offer through clearing in the summer like is that something that happens often? If I got really good grades like A*A*A then would this be very likely?
Reply 8
Original post by peeked
Ik ik but there must be places that I'm more likely to get an interview right?

In which case it's possible that a smaller proportion of people interviewed get offers compared to the universities that are more stingy with interviews.
Reply 9
'Don't be too optimistic' jeez okay
I mean thanks for the advice but like I think it's very possible for a student to get A*A*A and was literally asking the likelihood of an offer through clearing with these grades. I think ik what grades I'm capable of to an extent
And as I said I would prefer not to take a gap year, does taking a gap year affect your chances of getting in the year after anyway as you already have your grades?
Reply 10
Okay thanks for the advice, I think I'll just swap out Cambridge for somewhere I'm more likely to get an offer like UEA/Birmingham/Sheffield/Bristol
Reply 11
Okay thank you but surely the UEA is easier to get into than Cambridge
Original post by peeked
Okay thank you but surely the UEA is easier to get into than Cambridge

:sigh:
Reply 13
Original post by Democracy
:sigh:

What do you mean by this?
Reply 14
Original post by peeked
I want to apply for Cambridge, UCL, kings and Nottingham but UCL, kings and Cambridge are all quite competitive so what is the likelihood of no offers and then getting into medicine via clearing in the summer?

Stats btw:
A level predictions A*A*A* bio chem maths
GCSEs 999998877A*
A in AS physics
UCAT - 2860 B2 (93rd percentile)
BMAT - not done yet
Work exp - 2 weeks at 2 hospitals + care home

Cambridge has about a 20% chance of gaining a place (they interview a lot of their applicants, but reject many at the interview stage)
UCL has a 60-70% interview to offer ratio in recent years, but this year say they are interviewing up to 950 applicants and for 2018 entry was only 689, so that ratio may drop this year
Your problem with both of these, is that without your BMAT, you cannot assess your likelihood of getting an interview

Kings have and interview to offer rate of around 80% and you have an excellent chance of an interview there (so not that competitive, really, once you get to interview, stop believing all this hype and find out the facts!)
Nottingham had about a 77% interview to offer ratio last year, but you do not state your Nottingham score to know chances of getting an interview, plus this is going to be difficult to assess this year, as it is the first year they are selecting with a second stage of PS scoring. 48 should definitely be safe, 47 adn 46 most likely will be.

Is this the type of info you are looking for?
Other places with high interview to offer ratios are Sheffield (around 80%). You have an excellent chance of an interview here
St Andrews up to 88% and again, excellent chance of an interview
Birmingham and Leicester, around 70%

This info is all out there, if you look - I have just trawled a few FOIs, so get Googling and see what you come up with!

As stated, likelihood of an offer in clearing is small, less than 10%, I'd have thought, as you still have to meet entry criteria, get through on the phone, go through an interview, etc and there are hundreds of other people doing just the same, often to multiple med schools
Reply 15
Original post by GANFYD
Cambridge has about a 20% chance of gaining a place (they interview a lot of their applicants, but reject many at the interview stage)
UCL has a 60-70% interview to offer ratio in recent years, but this year say they are interviewing up to 950 applicants and for 2018 entry was only 689, so that ratio may drop this year
Your problem with both of these, is that without your BMAT, you cannot assess your likelihood of getting an interview

Kings have and interview to offer rate of around 80% and you have an excellent chance of an interview there (so not that competitive, really, once you get to interview, stop believing all this hype and find out the facts!)
Nottingham had about a 77% interview to offer ratio last year, but you do not state your Nottingham score to know chances of getting an interview, plus this is going to be difficult to assess this year, as it is the first year they are selecting with a second stage of PS scoring. 48 should definitely be safe, 47 adn 46 most likely will be.

Is this the type of info you are looking for?
Other places with high interview to offer ratios are Sheffield (around 80%). You have an excellent chance of an interview here
St Andrews up to 88% and again, excellent chance of an interview
Birmingham and Leicester, around 70%

This info is all out there, if you look - I have just trawled a few FOIs, so get Googling and see what you come up with!

As stated, likelihood of an offer in clearing is small, less than 10%, I'd have thought, as you still have to meet entry criteria, get through on the phone, go through an interview, etc and there are hundreds of other people doing just the same, often to multiple med schools

Thank you so much, the most helpful post I've read on here
One more thing though, you said Nottingham are selecting with a second stage of PS scoring, what do you mean by this? PS as in personal statement or point system?
Oh and also my Nottingham score is 49 I believe
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by peeked
Thank you so much, the most helpful post I've read on here
One more thing though, you said Nottingham are selecting with a second stage of PS scoring, what do you mean by this? PS as in personal statement or point system?
Oh and also my Nottingham score is 49 I believe

Last year Nottingham scored GCSEs and UCAT as they do this year and those with a score above 46 went on to have their personal statements scored, with the score from this being added to the first part of the assessment and the joing total being used to rank people for interview, ie more people were rejected who had scored 46 (or above) after PS score was added. This year they are not scoring PS, so may need to cut more people out at the single stage of assessment, hence leading to a higher cut off. 49 will be safe, I think.

So how has this affected your decision making?
gap year or clear
Reply 18
Original post by GANFYD
Last year Nottingham scored GCSEs and UCAT as they do this year and those with a score above 46 went on to have their personal statements scored, with the score from this being added to the first part of the assessment and the joing total being used to rank people for interview, ie more people were rejected who had scored 46 (or above) after PS score was added. This year they are not scoring PS, so may need to cut more people out at the single stage of assessment, hence leading to a higher cut off. 49 will be safe, I think.

So how has this affected your decision making?

I applied to UCL, Kings, Nottingham and Birmingham although ngl I am feeling pretty down about it which is annoying as I feel like I should've applied to Cambridge as that's always been somewhere I thought I've wanted to go - I guess it would've been risky but yeah.
I'm trying to stop thinking about it but it has been really bothering me the past 2 days since I applied, I tried to ask if I could change if the school hadn't sent my application yesterday but they had so that's a shame (I wanted to change Birmingham to Cambridge).
I'm just telling myself that these are safer choices and UCL would still be amazing.
(Also feel like I should've applied to UEA as it is my local uni and my parents really wanted me to go there which again is making me feel worse about the whole situation like I feel like I've messed up my choices even though they're not that bad)

Thanks for all the help though, really appreciate it, and okay that's reassuring about Nottingham.
Reply 19
Original post by peeked
I applied to UCL, Kings, Nottingham and Birmingham although ngl I am feeling pretty down about it which is annoying as I feel like I should've applied to Cambridge as that's always been somewhere I thought I've wanted to go - I guess it would've been risky but yeah.
I'm trying to stop thinking about it but it has been really bothering me the past 2 days since I applied, I tried to ask if I could change if the school hadn't sent my application yesterday but they had so that's a shame (I wanted to change Birmingham to Cambridge).
I'm just telling myself that these are safer choices and UCL would still be amazing.
(Also feel like I should've applied to UEA as it is my local uni and my parents really wanted me to go there which again is making me feel worse about the whole situation like I feel like I've messed up my choices even though they're not that bad)

Thanks for all the help though, really appreciate it, and okay that's reassuring about Nottingham.

It is done now and you cannot change it, so no point "what if-ing". Your choices are fine - the fact you had any to make should be celebrated, as you good stats meant you had options.
You have chosen some amazing places to live and study and almost all students enjoy their time at uni, wherever they end up.
Don't let negativity get in the way of what is an exciting time and just remind yourself how you would feel if you had applied for Cambridge and ended up with no offers at all, when you would have had a far higher chance of an offer elsewhere? I know people who scored better than about 49% of people at interview, but missed out as only the top 50% were made offers. At many other med schools, they would have got an offer with a similar position.
Good luck with your choices :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending