irismont
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Im in year 10 and am aspiring to be a dentist when I am older. I'm currently trying to excel particularly in my maths and science studies, and then planning to take Bio+chem+maths for A levels. However I've read into it and I have heard that it is a very competitive subject and the majority of universities in England ask for an A or above in all subjects, which is putting me off. I don't know anyone who has gone through the vetmedicine/dentistry applications and would love some hardcore advice!! Thankyou
Last edited by irismont; 2 weeks ago
iCynder
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there! I study a healthcare degree so kind of know what you’re at, as my degree is ridiculously competitive too! My friend got either all A*AA and was still refused from multiple places! She got sorted and is happily studying, but ended up in Scotland somewhere when she’s from Northern Ireland! From a healthcare background, my advice would be to look into all healthcare degrees and keep your options open - many can actually allow you into another healthcare area, for example medicine! You may also find you actually prefer some of the other ones! I initially went for one degree, experience made me see I absolutely hated it and I’m now taking the radiology route which I love! In terms of a levels, choose ones you actually enjoy - they’re so hard and soul draining, if you don’t enjoy them it makes those 2 years awful! You’re better taking 2 sciences and something else you genuinely enjoy than 3 if you don’t, although it might not mean a direct entrance to dentistry (for example, I don’t know their entry conditions), there are other routes after a levels you get you through. A levels are genuinely the hardest exams you’ll do, so don’t put too much pressure on yourself😊 I hope it goes well!x
irismont
Rep:
?
(Original post by iCynder)
Hi there! I study a healthcare degree so kind of know what you’re at, as my degree is ridiculously competitive too! My friend got either all A*AA and was still refused from multiple places! She got sorted and is happily studying, but ended up in Scotland somewhere when she’s from Northern Ireland! From a healthcare background, my advice would be to look into all healthcare degrees and keep your options open - many can actually allow you into another healthcare area, for example medicine! You may also find you actually prefer some of the other ones! I initially went for one degree, experience made me see I absolutely hated it and I’m now taking the radiology route which I love! In terms of a levels, choose ones you actually enjoy - they’re so hard and soul draining, if you don’t enjoy them it makes those 2 years awful! You’re better taking 2 sciences and something else you genuinely enjoy than 3 if you don’t, although it might not mean a direct entrance to dentistry (for example, I don’t know their entry conditions), there are other routes after a levels you get you through. A levels are genuinely the hardest exams you’ll do, so don’t put too much pressure on yourself😊 I hope it goes well!x
Wow thank you so much!! Its my first time using TSR and your response is a huge relief as i thought no one would answer Thanks for the great advice though I will defo look into it x
Last edited by irismont; 2 weeks ago
raabiahh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i definitely agree with all the above. it’s one of those courses where you can get everything you need & more but a university can still think you might not be the right fit for them. not to scare you just to make you aware! + whilst it’s quite competitive, there’s nothing stopping you from getting there. here’s my advice for applying ig. you’re only in year 10 but you can start doing voluntary work which is imo is what will help you stand out. you’ll want some long term voluntary work. you can also attend taster courses. it’s useful to get dental work experience but since uni’s recognise how difficult it can be to get some, any healthcare experience is just as useful tbh. good luck on your GCSE’s! don’t stress too much yet until year 11-12 and I hope you achieve it.
irismont
Rep:
?
(Original post by raabiahh)
i definitely agree with all the above. it’s one of those courses where you can get everything you need & more but a university can still think you might not be the right fit for them. not to scare you just to make you aware! + whilst it’s quite competitive, there’s nothing stopping you from getting there. here’s my advice for applying ig. you’re only in year 10 but you can start doing voluntary work which is imo is what will help you stand out. you’ll want some long term voluntary work. you can also attend taster courses. it’s useful to get dental work experience but since uni’s recognise how difficult it can be to get some, any healthcare experience is just as useful tbh. good luck on your GCSE’s! don’t stress too much yet until year 11-12 and I hope you achieve it.
I'm actually currently trying to find some work experience as my school is doing WEX. It has been a slight struggle though as the government has cut off all funding, and therefore the majority of dental practices only accept 18/18+. I'm going to continue to try and find a placement, however if it doesn't work out,I will try and get a healthcare placement with the NHS. Thank you for the response! I appreciate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Nov '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
69.7%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (17)
10.3%

Watched Threads