Does Having Low Entry Requirements Make a Bad Uni? Watch

Jovid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've been looking at Lincoln, Surrey, Ulster etc. I like these Unis but does their lower entry requirements mean that their inherently worse than a Russell group or is it another reason
username4992338
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Here’s what I know about Lincoln: My personal statement was oriented at English and Philosophy, but at Lincoln I applied for English and Creative writing as they didn’t combine philosophy with English. I still got accepted, and I didn’t do English A-levels, I did a vocational course in graphic design. I would say their low entry requirements do say something about their status for sure.
cheerIeader
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i dont know them
username4992338
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cheerIeader)
i dont know them
Why answer then?
iCynder
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not at all! I get so much abuse from queen’s students for going to Ulster because ‘queens is superior’ - queens doesn’t do my course so Ulster is superior to me (: interestingly a lot of people I spoke to that go to ‘better’ universities are actually really unhappy and get little or no support. In my experience, Jordanstown can’t do enough for you! You’ll know which one is for you, and Russel or not if it’s does what it needs for you you’ll be so much happier than if you were somewhere with a better reputation but no support! As I mentioned I get so much stick from queens students, but I’m so happy where I am and it gives me opportunities I know nowhere else could all in one place - you do you😊x
cheerIeader
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by twist-and-shout)
Why answer then?
to show theyre bad unis
iCynder
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
to show theyre bad unis
Reputation means nothing when you’re earning at least £30K+ a year and in a respected profession with a degree from one of those😂
OddOnes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not at all. Poor student satisfaction, lack of support for students, lack of facilities and poor job prospects means it's a bad uni.

For example, student satisfaction is incredibly low at King's, but the entry requirements are high.
Jovid
Rep:
?
to show theyre bad unis
nice grammar btw
Tonic Water
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The meaning of 'Russell Group' means nothing for the stage you're most likely at in your academic career.
Jords2011
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I personally wouldn't apply to more than 2 unis which have lower entry requirements that BBB. Of the five that I have put on UCAS, my lowest is ABB. I think it just comes down to personal preference though like U do U, don't watch where other people are going or worry about what they're doing, because when you leave university to go and work you go with you, nobody else. When you die, you die with you, nobody else.
Last edited by Jords2011; 1 month ago
cheerIeader
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jovid)
nice grammar btw
grammar isn't an indicator of intelligence. i'm off to harvard idk what your point is
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It usually implies lower academic standards. Whether this matters to you is another thing.
Jovid
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tonic Water)
The meaning of 'Russell Group' means nothing for the stage you're most likely at in your academic career.
I'm in Year 13.....
Jovid
Rep:
?
grammar isn't an indicator of intelligence. i'm off to harvard idk what your point is
But it doesn't do your point much justice if the grammar is incorrect lmao
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Entry standards are generally based on popularity among 17 year olds. Unpopular courses/universities can’t ask for such high grades. That doesn’t indicate anything about the quality of the course (especially when Russell group universities regularly accept students with CCD and sometimes lower grades in August).

It does indicate that the course is likely to be better designed to bring students up from a lower level (unlike students with lower grades who get lucky with entry onto a course where most students have As...that is setting yourself up for 3 years of playing catchup and usually with little support because the course and lecturers aren’t interested in catering to students with lower entry grades).

It’s important to find a course and university where you will thrive. You need to find where you can get the best degree result possible and stay motivated to take advantage of all the extra curricular opportunities available at university.
Tonic Water
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jovid)
I'm in Year 13.....
Exactly. Do you even know what it means?
Jovid
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tonic Water)
Exactly. Do you even know what it means?
Of course, its the top 22 Unis in the Uk
Last edited by Jovid; 1 month ago
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
Russell Group means nothing. I went to one of the most respected - by employers - Business Schools in the UK and we are not a Russell Group university. The things to check are employability rates after graduation, what the average post graduation salary is. Also, check what students say about the university and the course. I do not know much about the two universities you have listed but the main aim of university is to allow you to become more employable, make sure - if you can - organisations you want to work for take applicants from those universities and rate them highly.

Good luck!
Tonic Water
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jovid)
Off course, its the top 22 Unis in the Uk
Top 22 of what? What does being a member of the Russell Group actually mean and why do you think it is important for you, a potential undergraduate?

Also, 24 universities are part of the group.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (218)
70.32%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
18.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
10.97%

Watched Threads