I feel so hopeless like It's actually impossible to get into Cambridge Watch

blueturtle7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm applying for architecture 2020 entry and my ucas application has already gone off but like I just feel like theres no chance of me getting in. Mostly because there is only 35 places per year for the course making it one of the most competitive courses at roughly 14 applicants per place or something. My predicted grades are A* A A in Chemistry maths and art I have also completed work experience. I can't tell if this anywhere near enough or if it's hopeless. I have also been keeping a sketchbook but I feel its not high quality. Just looking for some reassurance to see that people do actually get into Cambridge and its not just a myth lol. Also would love to talk to anyone that has any idea about what they want in a portfolio or would even look through mine.
Last edited by blueturtle7; 2 weeks ago
Sammylou40
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
People do get in to Cambridge. That much is obvious. Otherwise the university would no longer exist
However, it is not the be all and end all. Many people go on to have successful lives and careers without entering the hallowed halls.
You can only do your best. Have a back up plan and good luck
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Obviously, it's supposed to be hard to get in, is like the second best uni in the whole world what do you expect?
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by blueturtle7)
I'm applying for architecture 2020 entry and my ucas application has already gone off but like I just feel like theres no chance of me getting in. Mostly because there is only 35 places per year for the course making it one of the most competitive courses at roughly 14 applicants per place or something. My predicted grades are A* A* A and an A/A* in an architecture based epq. I have also completed work experience, read some books, visited a bunch of places and gone to some exhibitions. I can't tell if this anywhere near enough or if it's hopeless. I also don't know if my art portfolio is anywhere near good enough I am predicted an A* however all of my work is anatomical oil paintings and quite expressive sometimes although I do have some realism pieces so I'm worried its not closely related enough to architecture. I have also been keeping a sketchbook but I feel its not high quality. Just looking for some reassurance to see that people do actually get into Cambridge and its not just a myth lol. Also would love to talk to anyone that has any idea about what they want in a portfolio or would even look through mine.
You don't have to be a genius to get into Oxbridge (many students there aren't) but you do have to apply there to get in! Just take a chance. You may surprise yourself. As my son said (and he's just graduated from Oxford) "Someone has to get in, and it might as well be me". My younger son tried for medicine and we thought that was impossible, but it wasn't, as he is now in his third year there. Have faith. You've sent off UCAS now, so just carry on as normal (hard but it's possible). There's nothing you can do about it until November.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm applying for architecture 2020 entry and my ucas application has already gone off but like I just feel like theres no chance of me getting in. Mostly because there is only 35 places per year for the course making it one of the most competitive courses at roughly 14 applicants per place or something. My predicted grades are A* A* A and an A/A* in an architecture based epq. I have also completed work experience, read some books, visited a bunch of places and gone to some exhibitions. I can't tell if this anywhere near enough or if it's hopeless. I also don't know if my art portfolio is anywhere near good enough I am predicted an A* however all of my work is anatomical oil paintings and quite expressive sometimes although I do have some realism pieces so I'm worried its not closely related enough to architecture. I have also been keeping a sketchbook but I feel its not high quality. Just looking for some reassurance to see that people do actually get into Cambridge and its not just a myth lol. Also would love to talk to anyone that has any idea about what they want in a portfolio or would even look through mine.
It's logical to apply, no matter what trepidations you have and how much you fear the feelings if you fail. Someone has to get in and the people who do get in are exclusively drawn from those who apply. Therefore if you don't apply, you self-exclude, which makes no sense. Give it a try, go with the flow, do your level best, be ambitious and don't fear the consequences, let those take care of themselves.
Welshvisitor
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It’s all done now. Time to relax. Worry won’t alter the outcome. Tell yourself you didn’t get in and make other plans. If you do get in 🎉 celebrate and if you don’t you were already prepared; not new news!
Last edited by Welshvisitor; 4 weeks ago
crusty kebab
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
although its the best uni in the uk and atleast in the top 5 in the world, it's understandable to think that it's impossible to get in, but you have to remember that people do get accepted, if you apply, you may surprise yourself.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can't tell if this anywhere near enough or if it's hopeless.
As someone who got an offer (not for arch, granted) let me tell you there is never a threshold of "enough". Each candidate will be assessed and those with the potential to be good Cam students will be invited to interview.

I also don't know if my art portfolio is anywhere near good enough I am predicted an A* however all of my work is anatomical oil paintings and quite expressive sometimes although I do have some realism pieces so I'm worried its not closely related enough to architecture. I have also been keeping a sketchbook but I feel its not high quality. Just looking for some reassurance to see that people do actually get into Cambridge and its not just a myth lol. Also would love to talk to anyone that has any idea about what they want in a portfolio or would even look through mine.
Here's what Cambridge say:
All applicants invited to interview are expected to show a portfolio of recent work at the interview but this isn't expected to be work of an architectural nature (eg plans, sections etc).

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....s/architecture

If they say that, they mean it. :yep:

From the sketchbook I'd say they'd be more interested in your process of developing your art than the finished product, it is about the potential to be a good Cambridge student, not about being one already (otherwise, what is there to learn?)
Uori32qu
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I wish I had applied... you get 5 choices and I wasted mine by applying to ones I would get into but didn't want to go to
selcouth.eh
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I want to apply for medicine 2021, and I'm ****ting myself. I have somehow gotten predicted all A's for AS. And i attempt to work my ass off everyday after school, I try to do as much research and gather as much information as i can. But, I keep getting told that 'it's Cambridge' and that maybe its 'not enough'.
VMD100
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by selcouth.eh)
I want to apply for medicine 2021, and I'm ****ting myself. I have somehow gotten predicted all A's for AS. And i attempt to work my ass off everyday after school, I try to do as much research and gather as much information as i can. But, I keep getting told that 'it's Cambridge' and that maybe its 'not enough'.
Is Cambridge even a good med school? It is known in the veterinary industry as by far the worst vet school around - I wouldn't worry about getting in there for medicine to be honest.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As I explained a few posts up, there is no such thing as "enough". It's not really quantitative.
Go on their website, read in detail the application info and start looking at the work experience you're doing to need. Remember Cambridge is just one choice of 4 (for medicine, the 5th being a different subject) and the other institutions won't be a walk in the park to land a medicine offer either. Check out the medicine forum for a lot of megathreads with all of the common questions on how to go about your medicine application - it's really great that you're thinking this far ahead.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You'd be better off volunteering and gaining work experience - there's no benefit in studying medicine at Cambridge.
Xiphos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm applying for architecture 2020 entry and my ucas application has already gone off but like I just feel like theres no chance of me getting in. Mostly because there is only 35 places per year for the course making it one of the most competitive courses at roughly 14 applicants per place or something. My predicted grades are A* A* A and an A/A* in an architecture based epq. I have also completed work experience, read some books, visited a bunch of places and gone to some exhibitions. I can't tell if this anywhere near enough or if it's hopeless. I also don't know if my art portfolio is anywhere near good enough I am predicted an A* however all of my work is oil paintings and quite expressive sometimes although I do have some realism pieces so I'm worried its not closely related enough to architecture. I have also been keeping a sketchbook but I feel its not high quality. Just looking for some reassurance to see that people do actually get into Cambridge and its not just a myth lol. Also would love to talk to anyone that has any idea about what they want in a portfolio or would even look through mine.
No point in worrying about what is no longer in your control. The application (quite a competitive one in my opinion) has been sent off and now all you have to do is wait. Even if you don't get in this year, if you really want to go to Cambridge, you could always try again in the next intake. Best of luck.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Cambridge is great but it is not the be all and end all especially for medicine. It is a very theoretical course. and you may find others you would enjoy more. You will still end up a doctor which is the important thing.
selcouth.eh
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
As I explained a few posts up, there is no such thing as "enough". It's not really quantitative.
Go on their website, read in detail the application info and start looking at the work experience you're doing to need. Remember Cambridge is just one choice of 4 (for medicine, the 5th being a different subject) and the other institutions won't be a walk in the park to land a medicine offer either. Check out the medicine forum for a lot of megathreads with all of the common questions on how to go about your medicine application - it's really great that you're thinking this far ahead.
lol this might be a bit extreme but I've made a table with all the medical colleges and I'm writing all the features, pros and cons etc to see which one I should consider. and yeah, they so three years of science based study and then get to clinical contact and shih
2500_2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm applying for architecture 2020 entry and my ucas application has already gone off but like I just feel like theres no chance of me getting in. Mostly because there is only 35 places per year for the course making it one of the most competitive courses at roughly 14 applicants per place or something. My predicted grades are A* A* A and an A/A* in an architecture based epq. I have also completed work experience, read some books, visited a bunch of places and gone to some exhibitions. I can't tell if this anywhere near enough or if it's hopeless. I also don't know if my art portfolio is anywhere near good enough I am predicted an A* however all of my work is oil paintings and quite expressive sometimes although I do have some realism pieces so I'm worried its not closely related enough to architecture. I have also been keeping a sketchbook but I feel its not high quality. Just looking for some reassurance to see that people do actually get into Cambridge and its not just a myth lol. Also would love to talk to anyone that has any idea about what they want in a portfolio or would even look through mine.
Your portfolio (and the rest of your application) sounds fine. Yes they'll look at it and ask you to talk about it. They are looking for a creative thinker, not the ability to design buildings yet Expressive is absolutely fine, and a mix of creative approaches even better so you can show you observe and interpret as well as express. Make sure your sketchbook actually includes buildings! Bits of buildings is also fine - being interested in the practicalities of construction is a good thing.
I think I found the hardest thing at this stage was trying to express a gut feeling about architecture into an articulate discussion. Preparing some examples that illustrate what you think is helpful. Do not be shy about saying you like certain architects and buildings - even if your interviewer does not have the same opinion if you can articulate why you think a building works both in form and function, then your answer will be respected.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
selcouth.eh
Don’t put yourself down.

It’s a very good idea to do a pros and cons table of all the medical schools. I admire your forward thinking very much.
blueturtle7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 2500_2)
Your portfolio (and the rest of your application) sounds fine. Yes they'll look at it and ask you to talk about it. They are looking for a creative thinker, not the ability to design buildings yet Expressive is absolutely fine, and a mix of creative approaches even better so you can show you observe and interpret as well as express. Make sure your sketchbook actually includes buildings! Bits of buildings is also fine - being interested in the practicalities of construction is a good thing.
I think I found the hardest thing at this stage was trying to express a gut feeling about architecture into an articulate discussion. Preparing some examples that illustrate what you think is helpful. Do not be shy about saying you like certain architects and buildings - even if your interviewer does not have the same opinion if you can articulate why you think a building works both in form and function, then your answer will be respected.
Thankyou so much for your response, have you studied/applied for architecture at Cambridge? I have drawn buildings in my sketchbook but im concerned that my sketchbook doesn't demonstrate my thought process very well. (If you have applied to architecture at cambridge would love any information on the admissions test or interview)
2500_2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thankyou so much for your response, have you studied/applied for architecture at Cambridge? I have drawn buildings in my sketchbook but im concerned that my sketchbook doesn't demonstrate my thought process very well. (If you have applied to architecture at cambridge would love any information on the admissions test or interview)
yes - although I swapped to Art History for part II tripos so I'm not an architect.
Definitely practice talking through your thought process.
Last edited by 2500_2; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (260)
54.28%
18-20 years old (no) (62)