The Student Room Group

Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by selcouth.eh
lol this might be a bit extreme but I've made a table with all the medical colleges and I'm writing all the features, pros and cons etc to see which one I should consider. and yeah, they so three years of science based study and then get to clinical contact and shih

I'm not a medic so can't help you much more, but I can tell you that such tables will exist already online somewhere, I'd suggest you knick that and just highlight the bits that are important to you. :smile: - Could save you a bit of time. :wink:
Original post by Muttley79
You'd be better off volunteering and gaining work experience - there's no benefit in studying medicine at Cambridge.

Don't wish to take this too off topic but the gaining of a medicine degree is a significant benefit of studying medicine at Cambridge. I appreciate that you probably mean in relation to other universities there is no large benefit to studying medicine at Cambridge in particular, rather than another institution - which is a legitimate point to make. However, the way you worded it made it sound as though 5 years of studying medicine could be matched by volunteering and work experience, which isn't very true - wanted to clarify that for any curious readers lurking on this thread.
Reply 22
It's not impossible, to get into Cambridge you'd probably need the top grades in everything. If you don't get in to Cambridge then it doesn't matter, there are other universities. You don't have to go to Cambridge.
You will enjoy Oxbridge medicine if you enjoy a traditional course, and at Oxford you get the chance to do a research project, which accounts for 25% of your first degree. This is my son’s favourite component of his degree.

It’s surprising how much the medical courses vary, so I’m glad you are doing your homework on them.

For instance my son doesn’t like the problem based learning courses so much. He went to peninsular medical school and they gave the students an example to work on. He was so frustrated by this approach he actually left the open day early. When I asked the lecturer what the answer was, even she didn’t know, so I wasn’t too impressed by this.
Well consider this:

If you apply you have a small probability to get in

If you don't then there is 0 probability you get in

Which path is optimal for going to Cambridge?
Original post by Muttley79
You'd be better off volunteering and gaining work experience - there's no benefit in studying medicine at Cambridge.

I'd personally suggest working hard to get at least 3As AND getting some work experience, rather than just getting some work experience. Medical schools tend to require A-levels...
I want to apply for medicine 2021, and I'm ****ting myself. I have somehow gotten predicted all A's for AS. And i attempt to work my ass off everyday after school, I try to do as much research and gather as much information as i can. But, I keep getting told that 'it's Cambridge' and that maybe its 'not enough'.

Whilst there are clearly major advantages and reasons to want to go to Oxbridge (academic course, college system, tutorial system, cheap and available college accommodation, graduates doing better in doctor's exams), with you saying you're struggling to even get predicted As at AS (AS being easier, predictions being notoriously over-generous, and 'A' not even being good enough for Cambridge, who need A*A*A) makes me think Cambridge might be a step too far?

I'd echo what has already been stated: unlike other degrees, your uni matters much less when it comes to getting jobs. With 60% of applicants getting no offers at all, you can't afford to take silly risks. But it is, of course, up to you. If you think you can get A*A*A then it opens up an option.
Original post by VMD100
Is Cambridge even a good med school? It is known in the veterinary industry as by far the worst vet school around - I wouldn't worry about getting in there for medicine to be honest.

Well its graduates do second best in doctor's exams, and last year its students got the highest average score for the job application system. So i wouldn't exactly say there is evidence it is bad, no.

It is notoriously heavy on the basic science teaching though, which is not to everyone's taste.
Original post by nexttime
Well its graduates do second best in doctor's exams, and last year its students got the highest average score for the job application system. So i wouldn't exactly say there is evidence it is bad, no.

It is notoriously heavy on the basic science teaching though, which is not to everyone's taste.

I didn't mean that I'm struggling, I have a fear that perhaps I won't live up to it cause i do have a fear of failure like every other high achieving (I believe that I am a good student and that my grades are good too) student. But, I have been dreaming of Cambridge for as long as I could remember, I love the fact that for the first three years it is very science based and how the patient contact starts later.Althpugh I will also apply to University of Birmingham because it has a good reputation when it comes to medicine and I can get a place with a reduced offer(because of the area I live in and the area my college is in) instead of A*A*A it becomes AAB
(edited 4 years ago)
I didn't mean that I'm struggling, I have a fear that perhaps I won't live up to it cause i do have a fear of failure like every other high achieving (I believe that I am a good student and that my grades are good too) student. But, I have been dreaming of Cambridge for as long as I could remember, I love the fact that for the first three years it is very science based and how the patient contact starts later.Althpugh I will also apply to University of Birmingham because it has a good reputation when it comes to medicine and I can get a place with a reduced offer(because of the area I live in and the area my college is in) instead of A*A*A it becomes AAB

I know you are dreaming of Cambridge, but unfortunately so do many other people, which is why it's all so competitive! A*A*A is a very high offer and if this were my own son, he would have missed that offer and been rejected.

But let's look on the bright side... Your local med school is Birmingham,. You may have a lower offer of AAB, which is the stuff of dreams for most students! Plus if I am very much mistaken, you get your own mentor. Is this correct? If so, how's it going? How do they help? Birmingham is one of the largest, if not the largest med school, so surely they will squeeze you in somewhere!

Although it seems you will be at med school forever, it is only 5 or 6 years out of a (hopefully) long career. Whichever med school you go to, you will end up as a doctor, and surely this is the aim. Although Oxbridge offers very detailed theoretical training, this is not what it takes to make a great doctor. When you get on the wards, it's all about how you conduct yourself. Do you go the extra mile for your patients? Are you emotionally intelligent? Are you practical? Do you get great feedback from said patients? Do you have a great sense of humour, and that all important bedside manner? Are you a valuable team player and are respectful and caring towards all your team? Are you ambitious, hardworking and keen to pass further exams and learn cutting edge techniques? You see, you can go to Oxbridge and not have a clue how to deal with people. If so, you will be most unlikely to get on in the medical world.

No matter which medical school you go to, you can make your mark if you have what it takes.

Seem very reasonable reasons. Better work hard and get some good AS then!
I hate to say it, but you are right. Unless you are heterosexual, white, and most importantly, from a privileged background where you have been privately educated, you will not get into Cambridge or Oxford or some of the other top universities. Don't let injustice get you down, let it radicalise you. The other people in this threat suffer from false class consciousness and believe in the myth that is meritocracy. Work to change the system.
Original post by Ferrograd
I hate to say it, but you are right. Unless you are heterosexual, white, and most importantly, from a privileged background where you have been privately educated, you will not get into Cambridge or Oxford or some of the other top universities. Don't let injustice get you down, let it radicalise you. The other people in this threat suffer from false class consciousness and believe in the myth that is meritocracy. Work to change the system.

Erm, hi there. I'm not privately educated or from a privileged background, I'm a working class scouser from Liverpool - yet I got an offer to study at Cambridge. I'm not going to pretend I'm in the majority of those who receive offers but the absolutism of your words is, objectively, wrong.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I know you are dreaming of Cambridge, but unfortunately so do many other people, which is why it's all so competitive! A*A*A is a very high offer and if this were my own son, he would have missed that offer and been rejected.

But let's look on the bright side... Your local med school is Birmingham,. You may have a lower offer of AAB, which is the stuff of dreams for most students! Plus if I am very much mistaken, you get your own mentor. Is this correct? If so, how's it going? How do they help? Birmingham is one of the largest, if not the largest med school, so surely they will squeeze you in somewhere!

Although it seems you will be at med school forever, it is only 5 or 6 years out of a (hopefully) long career. Whichever med school you go to, you will end up as a doctor, and surely this is the aim. Although Oxbridge offers very detailed theoretical training, this is not what it takes to make a great doctor. When you get on the wards, it's all about how you conduct yourself. Do you go the extra mile for your patients? Are you emotionally intelligent? Are you practical? Do you get great feedback from said patients? Do you have a great sense of humour, and that all important bedside manner? Are you a valuable team player and are respectful and caring towards all your team? Are you ambitious, hardworking and keen to pass further exams and learn cutting edge techniques? You see, you can go to Oxbridge and not have a clue how to deal with people. If so, you will be most unlikely to get on in the medical world.

No matter which medical school you go to, you can make your mark if you have what it takes.

I understand your concern and your view on this and thank you,again, for taking time out to add to this post. I did once have my heart solely set on Cambridge but we can apply to five and hope that one accepts us. My aim is to get to Cambridge but I know it's hard so I wouldn't mind getting into any of my five choices.
I have tried my best and I have (fortunately) secured work experience in a really good hospital ( Queen Elizabeth). Hopefully, it works out. If not, I always hva either choices. At the end of the day, as you said, I want to be a doctor and I have a choice of around 40 medical schools.
Original post by nexttime
Seem very reasonable reasons. Better work hard and get some good AS then!

will do, thanks.

What a load of rubbish. You sound like Jeremy Corbyn made you drink the koolaid.

Significant majority of Oxbridge students are state educated...

Although I do appreciate there is a systemic problem and I do appreciate you include non-oxbridge unis in this problem - often underrecognised.

What a load of nonsense - If you are bright enough you will get there
Reply 37

Oxbridge is far from perfect but these were not the right characteristics to pick to support your point - Cambridge is actually the 'gayest' uni in the UK, with a whopping 19% of students identifying not as heterosexual. And Oxford is not far behind on 16%.
Original post by blueturtle7
I'm applying for architecture 2020 entry and my ucas application has already gone off but like I just feel like theres no chance of me getting in. Mostly because there is only 35 places per year for the course making it one of the most competitive courses at roughly 14 applicants per place or something. My predicted grades are A* A* A and an A/A* in an architecture based epq. I have also completed work experience, read some books, visited a bunch of places and gone to some exhibitions. I can't tell if this anywhere near enough or if it's hopeless. I also don't know if my art portfolio is anywhere near good enough I am predicted an A* however all of my work is oil paintings and quite expressive sometimes although I do have some realism pieces so I'm worried its not closely related enough to architecture. I have also been keeping a sketchbook but I feel its not high quality. Just looking for some reassurance to see that people do actually get into Cambridge and its not just a myth lol. Also would love to talk to anyone that has any idea about what they want in a portfolio or would even look through mine.

Hey I have also applied to the same course as you and feel the nerves. I must say though that your predictions have made me more nervous for my predictions are nowhere close to yours and I haven’t had the chance to attend exhibitions. However, I can say for you oil painting it doesn’t matter whether they are related to architecture. I read and have been told that the most important thing is that they show who you are and express what you want them to. It’s natural for many school systems like mine to not have architecture based courses so your pieces are great. All we can do now is settle down and chill. But don’t worry we are in this together and I think it is possible. Also what college did you choose if you don’t mind me asking?
I want to apply for medicine 2021, and I'm ****ting myself. I have somehow gotten predicted all A's for AS. And i attempt to work my ass off everyday after school, I try to do as much research and gather as much information as i can. But, I keep getting told that 'it's Cambridge' and that maybe its 'not enough'.

If it counts, I believe in you and you are doing enough. So keep up the good work and don’t listen to them. If you want to do it, then do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending