Scared of being raped or sexually assaulted at uni next year Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
im off to uni next year only im scared because my friend whose at the same uni I plan to go to next year confided in me tonight to say theres already been 3 cases of sexual assault or rape. I do carry a rape alarm anyway but how likely are you to be sexually assaulted or raped at uni?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
im off to uni next year only im scared because my friend whose at the same uni I plan to go to next year confided in me tonight to say theres already been 3 cases of sexual assault or rape. I do carry a rape alarm anyway but how likely are you to be sexually assaulted or raped at uni?
To be honest, half my friend group have been sexually assaulted in some way. No rapes tho. There’s not really much you can do about it, I recommend you watch ur drink and always walk home with friends. Always keep ur eye on ur friends at clubs and parties
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
i don't know the statistics, but you don't have to be scared. the vast majority of cases happen between people who know each other, not on the street, because rape is all about opportunity and vulnerability. you do have to be mindful of who you go home with on a night out but i wouldn't be scared walking around campus.

how did your friend find out about these cases of sexual assault? who were the perpetrators?
domonict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's not that common. But anywhere that has 15-20 thousand 18-22 year olds and a lot of booze is going to have some incidents of unwanted plain sexual advances, misjudged encounters or regrets after the fact. I am sure that rape does occur, but it's nowhere as common as you seem to think.
Keep an eye on alcohol intake, don't leave a drink unattended, stay in a group and don't wander off home alone. Most of that applies anywhere- not just at uni but some people do go nuts at uni as it's the first time they have been independant
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if your that scared about it - there are a few easy things you can do that will reduce your risk massively.

1. Don't go out and get too drunk. Drinking a bit is fine, but the amount of sexual assault stories that start 'well I was drunk last night'.
2. Don't go back to a guys room alone, or invite him back to yours alone, until your dating.
3. Make the guys you meet wait a few months before you give them anything sexual, make them work and earn it. This will deter the vast majority of guys looking to use you for sex, who will just move on to an easier target (which there are plenty of at uni)
4. Never be alone on a night out
5. Dress respectably

Obviously if it happens, its not your fault... but that also doesn't mean that there aren't actions you take that increase or decrease the risk. For example, its never your fault if someone breaks into your home.. but leaving the door unlocked and a load of letters pilled outside is going to make it more likely.
Last edited by fallen_acorns; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (5)
20%
Unconditional if firmed (1)
4%
Unconditional if insurance (0)
0%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (0)
0%
No unconditional offers (19)
76%

Watched Threads