Huge Dilemma: Durham, Reapply, Clearing or adjustment? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Basically I applied to do International Relations at Durham (2019 entry) and got offered a place for anthropology. I got AAB (1 mark off an A in politics and I’m now retaking). Ive deferred my place at Durham for 2020 and have asked the university if its possible to change course to IR (explained the whole 1 mark off and retaking situation) but they won’t let me change. Now i have the dilemma of keeping my place at Durham, even though I don’t want to do anthropology or apply to other unis. I’m so conflicted as Durham is my dream uni and I’m really set on going there, however I would want to change course once I’m there or maybe on results day if i get an A or A* in retakes? - I don’t how possible changing course is at Durham however. My other thought was that I could reapply and maybe go through clearing/adjustment for unis I would want to go to - i.e KCL, Durham, Edinburgh. Although I feel this is a risk as clearing and adjustment is very touch and go and obviously comes down a lot to on the day. My worry about reapplying is that I may not get offers and I also feel its such a risk to let go of my place at Durham as its such a prestigious uni and like I said i love the uni itself.

Ugh such a dilemma, any help or advice would be much appreciated!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you asked Durham whether they will consider you if you reapply?

If they change your deferred place then they can’t make your offer conditional on your resit - they can only make you a conditional offer if you reapply. They might be more willing to allow a switch if you reapply.
Muser99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you thought about reapplying but for two different courses at Durham. IR and another one that you already meet the grade conditions for that you would actually like to do. You would still have 3 remaining spaces for other universities as back ups.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 29 Jun '20
  • Durham University
    Sat, 4 Jul '20
  • Durham University
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (132)
19.02%
Labour (293)
42.22%
Liberal Democrats (139)
20.03%
Green Party (38)
5.48%
Brexit Party (20)
2.88%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.29%
SNP (9)
1.3%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.86%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.14%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.14%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)