i<3history
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I need to apply soon/do my LNAT if I decide to do law. And I really don’t know which degree to pick! I’m doing psychology, spanish and history a levels so I’ve not got experience doing either law or politics. I know law is a more respected degree but I just don’t know if I’m passionate about it, or if I have to be in order to study it.
If I do law, I also don’t know if I should do straight law or law with spanish (help!)
I’m in such a predicament, is law or politics better?!
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How are we supposed to help you with this?

Go on the websites of the courses you're interested, find the 'course structure' tab, and read about the options you'll have for either law or politics. If you know anyone studying either course, ask them for a reading list and a copy of their exam past papers. If you have more time on your hands (which you probably don't), try looking through a used law textbook for something like criminal or general contract law (you can probably find one from Amazon for £1).
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by i<3history)
I need to apply soon/do my LNAT if I decide to do law. And I really don’t know which degree to pick! I’m doing psychology, spanish and history a levels so I’ve not got experience doing either law or politics. I know law is a more respected degree but I just don’t know if I’m passionate about it, or if I have to be in order to study it.
If I do law, I also don’t know if I should do straight law or law with spanish (help!)
I’m in such a predicament, is law or politics better?!
Again, no one can tell you if Law or Politics is better for you. I wouldn't say you have to be passionate about a subject to study it at degree level, but I guess it helps you to get past the boring bits.

Why not do Law and Politics if you are torn between the two subjects, then if you find that you are not enjoying either part of the course, it should be relatively easy to switch to a single subject in the first few weeks? Also, only a few unis require the LNAT, which ones are you considering? Also, where is the interest in Politics coming from since you aren't doing it at A level?
i<3history
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Again, no one can tell you if Law or Politics is better for you. I wouldn't say you have to be passionate about a subject to study it at degree level, but I guess it helps you to get past the boring bits.

Why not do Law and Politics if you are torn between the two subjects, then if you find that you are not enjoying either part of the course, it should be relatively easy to switch to a single subject in the first few weeks? Also, only a few unis require the LNAT, which ones are you considering? Also, where is the interest in Politics coming from since you aren't doing it at A level?
ideally, I'd like to stay in London, and I can't find any courses of law and politics at Kings, LSE or UCL. I've only found the PPL at Kings, but (if I'm correct) only there are only 15 places...
I'm looking at Kings, LSE, UCL, Warwick and preferably a non-LNAT uni as my 5th choice.
I've always had a general interest in Politics, but my school don't offer Politics at a-level so I couldn't do it.
Can I ask, are you studying either now?
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
there is a lot of politics in law, if that's what you're interested in. but it's not these dippy 'left-wing' vs 'right-wing' arguments we have online or if Corbyn is a racist. you will study lots of Brexit, the UK constitution, our relationship with the EU, whether judges make political decisions, whether they have a political responsibility to the community. lots of legal questions are political and you are free to write your work from that perspective. i think you're not passionate about law because you haven't studied it/don't know enough about it.

that said, i wouldn't choose a degree because it's so-called 'more respected'. if you go to a good school and earn a politics degree, it's probably 'more respected' than most degrees out there. bearing in mind too that a law degree is never-ending reading. if you can't imagine yourself doing it, i would seriously not consider it.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by i<3history)
ideally, I'd like to stay in London, and I can't find any courses of law and politics at Kings, LSE or UCL. I've only found the PPL at Kings, but (if I'm correct) only there are only 15 places...
I'm looking at Kings, LSE, UCL, Warwick and preferably a non-LNAT uni as my 5th choice.
I've always had a general interest in Politics, but my school don't offer Politics at a-level so I couldn't do it.
Can I ask, are you studying either now?
No I'm not a student and btw Warwick isn't an LNAT uni.

Have you discounted the Law & Politics degree at QMUL? If you have more interest in Politics than Law you could always do a Politics degree first and convert to Law later
Last edited by harrysbar; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (394)
43.97%
No (91)
10.16%
I'm not old enough (411)
45.87%

Watched Threads