Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Anyone know how easy it is to change course whilst at Durham? Do they have a specific policy about this i.e only after first year, or is it better to do it sooner rather than later?

Any help or info would be much appreciated, thanks!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Anyone know how easy it is to change course whilst at Durham? Do they have a specific policy about this i.e only after first year, or is it better to do it sooner rather than later?

Any help or info would be much appreciated, thanks!
Are you a current student? Read your student handbook or speak to your tutor.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
Are you a current student? Read your student handbook or speak to your tutor.
No I’m not, I’ve deferred my place for 2020 after being referred a course I don’t really want to do so i just want to know what the scope is for changing if I get there and decide its not what i want to do
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
No I’m not, I’ve deferred my place for 2020 after being referred a course I don’t really want to do so i just want to know what the scope is for changing if I get there and decide its not what i want to do
Assuming that this https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...4#post85580424 is also you

Then I wouldn't hold out much hope. They've already rejected you for IR and refused a request to switch your deferred place - they're not likely top change their mind once you start the course.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/stud...eGuide2019.pdf
"To ensure the quality of student experience, we have a target quota for each of our degree courses and gaining a place on these is very competitive, as you will know. Although it is possible to change degree programmes, please bear in mind that there is no automatic right to do so. We will, however, consider requests from students wishing to change programme, taking into account factors such as academic merit, balance of student numbers and availability of places on particular programmes. If you do wish to change modules or degree programme, you must be able to satisfy
any prerequisites for the subject concerned.

"If you feel that you are on the wrong degree programme, it is best to seek advice at the earliest opportunity. If you are permitted to change modules or degree programme, you will need to catch up on the work missed, which will become more difficult the later you make the change. For this reason, students will not normally be able to change modules more than three weeks after those modules have begun"
Module swaps are normally no problem, same with swaps within a department - you'd be asking to change department.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 29 Jun '20
  • Durham University
    Sat, 4 Jul '20
  • Durham University
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (163)
47.8%
No (42)
12.32%
I'm not old enough (136)
39.88%

Watched Threads