How do I sort out this situation? Watch

1235louise77
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have recently moved into a student house,with three other people but I am starting to have an issue with one of my housemates partners.

He practically lives at the house and is not contributing to any utilities or rent whatsoever.This is starting to annoy me and as a student I really don’t want to be paying for another persons bills or rent.He has shown no consideration towards the house and works full time so can easily contribute.I have spoken to my other housemate about it but not the others.If this carries on and he is refusing to pay then I am going to consider dropping out of my house,although this will not be fair on me.

Does anyone know how to sort this out,so I can feel comfortable living in the household?

Thanks
CTLeafez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If your housemate signed a contract to pay X amount of rent then he’s contractually obliged to pay it.

Regarding utility bills, you could have a word with your landlord to “have a word” with them about their responsibilities as a tenant.

On a side note, if they’re working full time, why are they living in a student house? You’ll be getting charged council tax!
1235louise77
Rep:
?
Hi,

Sorry for the misunderstanding but his girlfriend my housemate is a student.

Thank you for your advice,I may contact the landlord but I do not want to cause any quarrels as I have to live with them.Although,your advice about the landlord could be a good start for me as I can possible sort this situation out.

I really don’t want this situation effecting me as I am in my second year of uni and do not need this stress so if we don’t come to an agreement I may just leave.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
firstly get leaving out of your head it's very unlikely you can get out of your contract

secondly, have a conversation with everyone but the housemate and agree what you want ie do you want him to go or is it ok if he pays his share and does some cleaning... then have a house meeting and insist on it

you can use telling your landlord as a threat if it comes to it

also someone else is right, if he's living there, regardless of the names on the contract, the house is eligible for council tax... so you best hope he isn't recording your address anywhere as if you get caught it will be a lot of money
Catherine1973
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s abnoying but how is he affecting you?
If he works full time I assume he is out of the house most of the day and not using up electricity and water.
Rent wise, him being there doesn’t mean you pay more, you pay what you expect
If it means a longer queue for bathroom and cooking time then you need a rota. She should do his cleaning (and her share)
You’ll get this in any house share, you need to agree ground rules.
1235louise77
Rep:
?
(Original post by doodle_333)
firstly get leaving out of your head it's very unlikely you can get out of your contract

secondly, have a conversation with everyone but the housemate and agree what you want ie do you want him to go or is it ok if he pays his share and does some cleaning... then have a house meeting and insist on it

you can use telling your landlord as a threat if it comes to it

also someone else is right, if he's living there, regardless of the names on the contract, the house is eligible for council tax... so you best hope he isn't recording your address anywhere as if you get caught it will be a lot of money
Hi,

Thank you for your advice!

I am going to speak with my other housemate this week to see what their views are on this situation.Regardless of council tax,sometimes he orders items online and sends them to our address which I think is not right.If we get caught then it won’t be me paying it will be him lol!
1235louise77
Rep:
?
(Original post by Catherine1973)
It’s abnoying but how is he affecting you?
If he works full time I assume he is out of the house most of the day and not using up electricity and water.
Rent wise, him being there doesn’t mean you pay more, you pay what you expect
If it means a longer queue for bathroom and cooking time then you need a rota. She should do his cleaning (and her share)
You’ll get this in any house share, you need to agree ground rules.
Hi,

I get your point,he’s not there during the day in the evenings which is still bad.Its just affecting me on how much bills I am paying,because I don’t want to be paying for him.
Last edited by 1235louise77; 1 month ago
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1235louise77)
Hi,

Thank you for your advice!

I am going to speak with my other housemate this week to see what their views are on this situation.Regardless of council tax,sometimes he orders items online and sends them to our address which I think is not right.If we get caught then it won’t be me paying it will be him lol!
check out the legalities of the council tax... if there are fines or he can't pay etc... I thought it was due on a household so everyone in it is liable but I may be wrong
1235louise77
Rep:
?
(Original post by doodle_333)
check out the legalities of the council tax... if there are fines or he can't pay etc... I thought it was due on a household so everyone in it is liable but I may be wrong
Hi,

Thank you for your advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (149)
70.95%
No I haven't decided yet (38)
18.1%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
10.95%

Watched Threads