annann12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I'm a USA applicant and I apply Computer Science major of Imperial, UCL, KCL, and U Manchester. On the websites of Imperial and UCL they say that the requirement is 5's(equivalent to A*) in 5 AP exams. I got two 4's in AP computer science and AP physics 1. I will take 7 AP(physics 2, physics C electricity and magnetism, physics C mechanism, French, Calculus BC, micro and macro economics) this year, which will be after the application season. My predicted scores for those APs are 5,5,5,5,5,5,4(French). Do those two 4's affect greatly on my chances of getting a conditional offer from IC and UCL? I've emailed UCL and they say those previous scores will not affect my chances, but I'm not sure if that's the same for IC.
I like bread
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm by no means an expert for ICs but I think you'll be fine. So long as you meet the entry requirements (which your predictions do) then you'll be considered. Some anecdotal evidence I have of this is that I had some GCSE that were not A* and some that were and I applied and got offers. What I'm trying to say is apply, I think you have a chance.

P.S Hello from across the pond!
Last edited by I like bread; 5 months ago
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by annann12)
I'm a USA applicant and I apply Computer Science major of Imperial, UCL, KCL, and U Manchester. On the websites of Imperial and UCL they say that the requirement is 5's(equivalent to A*) in 5 AP exams. I got two 4's in AP computer science and AP physics 1. I will take 7 AP(physics 2, physics C electricity and magnetism, physics C mechanism, French, Calculus BC, micro and macro economics) this year, which will be after the application season. My predicted scores for those APs are 5,5,5,5,5,5,4(French). Do those two 4's affect greatly on my chances of getting a conditional offer from IC and UCL? I've emailed UCL and they say those previous scores will not affect my chances, but I'm not sure if that's the same for IC.
My son is at Imperial, having applied from the US with APs. Imperial is very selective, so, yes, I would expect those 4s to count against you, especially in CS. A 5 is not equivalent to an A* - it's taken as equivalent to an A/A*, as they're not that hard to obtain (IMO). You will also need to show proficiency in English - even my son, a native speaker, had to.

You don't major in a subject in the UK - you read it, and pretty much only it.

You get 5 choices, so can afford to aim high with one or two. Good luck.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (160)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (167)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (98)
9.52%
Isolating with family (71)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (38)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.75%
Loneliness (102)
9.91%
Financial worries (46)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (94)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.75%

Watched Threads