Gravitational potential with respect to surface of Earth and Moon

Watch
Ogaar
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Sketch a graph on the axes below to indicate how the gravitational potential varies with distance along a line outwards from the surface of the Earth to the surface of the Moon.
The answer in the mark scheme says that the gravitational potential should never reach 0.
Surely at some point in between the surface of the Earth and the Moon the gravitational potential should equal 0 because the attraction from each gravitational field is equal, but in opposite directions.
Can someone explain?

Edit: I think it is because it is a scalar value?
Last edited by Ogaar; 1 year ago
Lwajura
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
r/gettyimages
Ogaar
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Lwajura)
r/gettyimages
Question 1) c)
Physics Enemy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ogaar)
The answer in the mark scheme says that the gravitational potential should never reach 0. Surely at some point in between the surface of the Earth and the Moon the gravitational potential should equal 0 because the attraction from each gravitational field is equal, but in opposite directions.

Edit: I think it is because it is a scalar value?
Net g = 0, the null point (net grav force = 0) coincides with graph's maximum, where |net V| is smallest. It's not 0 as net V = sum of potentials due to earth and moon separately; non-zero scalars and -ve by defn.
Last edited by Physics Enemy; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (695)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (874)
42.57%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
19.09%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.48%

Watched Threads