Is taking more than 3 a levels smart? Watch

Lwajura
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I feel I am a pretty intelligent chap (I relate myself to Light Yagami at times), and i managed to pass all my GCSEs without revision - so I'm wondering whether I will be able to handle the workload. My school will not let me do above 3 but I feel I can muster the courage to take on 8 alevels, 3 at school and self-learning 5 at home (this would be no problem). These would consist of business, history and english language at school and physics, maths, philosophy, chemistry and biology at home. I wondering with my above average academic ability whether this challenge would be possible within 2 years? My parents have confidence in me and I hope you guys can give me advice!
lia_r18
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're mad... Universities in general only look at 3. There is no way it's possible to study 8!

4 is pretty much the max.
Lwajura
Rep:
?
(Original post by lia_r18)
You're mad... Universities in general only look at 3. There is no way it's possible to study 8!

4 is pretty much the max.
Why wouldnt more alevels increase my chances? Unis know the struggle of alevels and therefore value them
lia_r18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lwajura)
Why wouldnt more alevels increase my chances? Unis know the struggle of alevels and therefore value them
Nope. Better to get 3A* than 8Bs or Cs
Lwajura
Rep:
?
Nope. Better to get 3A* than 8Bs or Cs
But consider 8 A*s/As; how would that work in the grand scheme of things
lia_r18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But consider 8 A*s/As; how would that work in the grand scheme of things
The unis would still only look at 3
lilTrain
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
dont kid urself mate
Lwajura
Rep:
?
The unis would still only look at 3
Do I get to pick which 3?
lia_r18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do I get to pick which 3?
No. Unless you only do 3 alevels...
Lwajura
Rep:
?
(Original post by lilTrain)
dont kid urself mate
Beg your pardon? This world is rotten
OR321
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you’re in denial mate. A levels are a lot different to GCSE’s.
lia_r18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also when you say pass all your GCSEs, how many 9s did you achieve... Even people who achieve all 9s tend to only take 3 - some may take 4 but they're mad.
Lwajura
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
I think you’re in denial mate. A levels are a lot different to GCSE’s.
Yes I know, but when I was doing GCSEs I was significantly above the skill level that we were taught. This was evident by how my teachers often refused to respond to my complicated questions - which could only be the result of my higher breadth of knowledge; intimidating my teachers and leaving them baffled.
Lwajura
Rep:
?
Also when you say pass all your GCSEs, how many 9s did you achieve... Even people who achieve all 9s tend to only take 3 - some may take 4 but they're mad.
GCSEs don't matter when you get to a level anyway as long as you get in to the courses :dontknow:
lia_r18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
GCSEs don't matter when you get to a level anyway as long as you get in to the courses :dontknow:
The difference between someone who gets a 9 and someone who gets a 6 in GCSE maths is still obvious to a level maths grades... so yes it does matter
Last edited by lia_r18; 1 month ago
jrob1305
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don’t get any extra credit from universities for taking more than 3 a levels. And if you take 3 you have far more time on your hands so you can ensure excellent grades. Uni’s want quality over quantity so taking 3 and get all A* or A is better than taking 8 and getting a real mix of grades and few A’s
Tucan Max
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To all those saying universities only look at 3, they're not completely correct. They will look at more and it will probably increase your chances of getting an offer. However, let's say you do 3 you might get an A*AA offer if you do 4 then you might get an A*AAA offer. Doing more is not an excuse to do badly in any of them. Doing 3 A levels at school and then one at home is possible and very manageable if you have a true strong interest in all the subjects you're studying. But it would probably look better to have done 3 and then done volunteering or work experience to support your application and show you are a well-rounded candidate.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're either a troll or extremely naive if you think taking 8 A-levels is a good idea, there's a reason why universities only require 3 of them.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. Unless you only do 3 alevels...
:lol:

Gold!
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I relate myself to Light Yagami at times
As someone who studied Japanese at university and has lived in Japan, you sound like a weeb. And, that's coming from me...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (5)
20%
Unconditional if firmed (1)
4%
Unconditional if insurance (0)
0%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (0)
0%
No unconditional offers (19)
76%

Watched Threads