The Student Room Group

Do you remember first 'I love you' with current partner?

The first time my bf told me he loves me it was a bit of an awkward moment... I had actually been waiting for him to say it but when it happened I was shocked and speechless. Also because I've been hurt badly in the past I kind of thought 'how can he love me?'. I wasn't sure if he actually knew I loved him then or not - as I stayed silent I can imagine he thought it scared me.

A month later he said it again and I said it back. I had to really hint at the fact that I did love him in order for him to say it again.

It upsets me a bit that the first time he said it I couldn't, for some silly reason, say it back. Him saying it the first time is a cute memory but the second time he said it I already knew he did, but it's just that I was able to reciprocate.

Do people look back fondly on their memories of the first 'I love yous'? I just think had we have both said it on the first occasion it would've been a lovely memory. But I basically ruined it by my low self esteem.
Original post by Anonymous
The first time my bf told me he loves me it was a bit of an awkward moment... I had actually been waiting for him to say it but when it happened I was shocked and speechless. Also because I've been hurt badly in the past I kind of thought 'how can he love me?'. I wasn't sure if he actually knew I loved him then or not - as I stayed silent I can imagine he thought it scared me.

A month later he said it again and I said it back. I had to really hint at the fact that I did love him in order for him to say it again.

It upsets me a bit that the first time he said it I couldn't, for some silly reason, say it back. Him saying it the first time is a cute memory but the second time he said it I already knew he did, but it's just that I was able to reciprocate.

Do people look back fondly on their memories of the first 'I love yous'? I just think had we have both said it on the first occasion it would've been a lovely memory. But I basically ruined it by my low self esteem.

I don't think you ruined it at all! I would look at it as his saying it allowing you to be able to say it when you were ready at a later date.

I remember that when me and my other half first said it to each other, I had been trying not to say it, because I was scared of coming off as saying it too early. He ended up saying it first, and I love him so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending