The Student Room Group

Best universities outside London

ive lived in london my whole life and for me, going to university is a dream - that dream also includes a campus ( harry potter style ). i know that there are universities in london with campuses however there is no point moving out of my house if im not leaving the city. i aspire to become a physicist so it has to have a strong physics department. thanksss
Reply 1
Oxbridge - bit obvious but there you go
Reply 2
I think Durham is meant to have an old looking campus, St. Andrews is also very nice, the town and just the general area. It's probably easier to run into a magic wall than it is to get there though
Warwick is not that bad plus castle :smile:
Original post by zaizay03
ive lived in london my whole life and for me, going to university is a dream - that dream also includes a campus ( harry potter style ). i know that there are universities in london with campuses however there is no point moving out of my house if im not leaving the city. i aspire to become a physicist so it has to have a strong physics department. thanksss

St Andrews, Durham, Bath (for the town), Glasgow, Aberdeen

be aware that every science department of any uni (including Oxbridge) is going to be ghastly 1960s brutalist. there is no escaping it unless you want to go for the Arts
Original post by A Rolling Stone
St Andrews, Durham, Bath (for the town), Glasgow, Aberdeen

be aware that every science department of any uni (including Oxbridge) is going to be ghastly 1960s brutalist. there is no escaping it unless you want to go for the Arts

Original post by zaizay03

Hello Zaizy03,

How are you today?

I noticed some of the comments on here mentioned the University of Aberdeen, and you mention Harry Potter too. Our campus here has some very unusual buildings, some of which have been described as 'Hogwarts ' previously. Take a look at Powis Gate. and the High Street. We have a very old and quirky campus which is worth a visit just to view it and the surrounding area of old Aberdeen. It is all very picturesque and the students here love it!

I presume you want to study Physics at undergraduate level from what you are saying. If this is the case, we have 13 programmes at undergraduate level in Physics. These range from single honours (subject), to Physics with Geology, Computer Science, Geophysics, Maths, Philosophy, and Physical Sciences. Take a look at the list on our website.

If you are looking for postgraduate level study, we offer Geophysics and Medical Physics.

If you are looking beyond postgraduate taught level study, we offer a doctorate in Physics.

As you sound like you want a bit of adventure so I will tell you a bit about the area, based on my observations over the past few years here in Scotland. Apart from our amazing old buildings we have a beautiful new Sir Duncan Rice Library, which you can see at various points in Aberdeen. It holds a lot of knowledge and you get panoramic views whilst you study. Much accommodation is quite near to the University and there are normally a lot of activities to get involved in at our Halls, and in Aberdeen University Students Union, and across the university. There are daily activities and events on here. You can make friends, meet people from all over the world, enjoy new hobbies and make the most of being here. Our Sports Village is just over the road. In there you can keep fit ,go for a swim, play sports, or go further afield and enjoy year round outdoor pursuits like walking, skiing, rafting and more.

Aberdeen is a very manageable Scottish city. There is public transport here and you can walk and cycle too! We are close to the beach, but you can also quickly escape to the countryside and travel to the Highlands, National Parks, Royal Deeside, Scottish Cities or take a ferry out of the city centre and explore Orkney and Shetland. We also have a very connected airport due to the oil and gas industry having many head offices here. The city centre offers you plenty to do and see either during the day or at night.

Wherever you go, it sounds like you want to explore the world. Enjoy your adventure and study!

Quick Reply

Latest