The Student Room Group

Sponsorship after GDL

Hey guys, Im from the U.S. and planning on doing my GDL in the U.K. next year. Im a bit worried though because I hear its difficult to get sponsored for a work visa after. I dont want to be stuck in the position where I have a diploma but cant stay because of the visa thing. Is it easier to get sponsored after going to school in the UK? Any advice is much appreciated
Original post by skhattab
Hey guys, Im from the U.S. and planning on doing my GDL in the U.K. next year. Im a bit worried though because I hear its difficult to get sponsored for a work visa after. I dont want to be stuck in the position where I have a diploma but cant stay because of the visa thing. Is it easier to get sponsored after going to school in the UK? Any advice is much appreciated

Law market very competitive.
Do you have a very good degree or contacts?
Perhaps you could start by talking to US firms if you have anything special to offer.

GDL on its own isnt that much use unless you get great grades. You need to know you will be competitive.
Only certain law firms are capable of sponsoring international applicants for work visas. Your choices from the get-go are already quite limited. If you’re able to secure a job right after your GDL/LPC such that your employment with the firm commences immediately after the end of your course, the firm can simply convert your study visa to a work visa without issues. Difficulties arise when there is a gap in your employment (eg you complete your studies in 2021 but your training contract commences in 2022) such that your study visa lapses before it’s converted to a work visa, in which case your employer will have to convince home office that there’s no one in the UK/EU (assuming we’ll be in the transition period) that can do the same job when applying for a work visa on your behalf.

The good news is that visa rules have recently been updated. If I recall correctly, if you commence a course from 2020 onwards, you can apply for a post-study work visa which lasts 2 years. Theoretically, this will make it much easier to be employed in the UK after your studies and you’re less constrained by timelines. But how this will tie in with the process described above in practice is anyone’s guess at this point.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Realisticism
Only certain law firms are capable of sponsoring international applicants for work visas. Your choices from the get-go are already quite limited. If you’re able to secure a job right after your GDL/LPC such that your employment with the firm commences immediately after the end of your course, the firm can simply convert your study visa to a work visa without issues. Difficulties arise when there is a gap in your employment (eg you complete your studies in 2021 but your training contract commences in 2022) such that your study visa lapses before it’s converted to a work visa, in which case your employer will have to convince home office that there’s no one in the UK/EU (assuming we’ll be in the transition period) that can do the same job when applying for a work visa on your behalf.

The good news is that visa rules have recently been updated. If I recall correctly, if you commence a course from 2020 onwards, you can apply for a post-study work visa which lasts 2 years. Theoretically, this will make it much easier to be employed in the UK after your studies and you’re less constrained by timelines. But how this will tie in with the process described above in practice is anyone’s guess at this point.

Wow this was very informative, thank you! Im sort of having an existential crisis right now and this helped. The worst case scenario is nobody sponsors me for a visa after my GDL and that I have to go back to the U.S. with a useless degree. Im trying to be hopeful but realistic.
Original post by skhattab
Wow this was very informative, thank you! Im sort of having an existential crisis right now and this helped. The worst case scenario is nobody sponsors me for a visa after my GDL and that I have to go back to the U.S. with a useless degree. Im trying to be hopeful but realistic.

Get a TC first and then do the GDL - there is no other option in your case that doesn't involve the risk that you have rightly identified.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending