What does this maxim mean that Equity will not assist a volunteer

Watch
HotShot A
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What does that mean in the context of a trust, does that mean the donee needs to give consideration, if so how.

I would appreciate it if you could unconfuse my confusion, many thanks.
Last edited by HotShot A; 1 year ago
IpsaLoquitur
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes. Basically if the donor tries to make a gift but fails (and so retains ownership of the thing), equity will not assist a ‘volunteer’ (someone who has not given consideration) in their claim to get some property interest in the object.

Contrast the position with the person who does give consideration (assuming the contract is specifically enforceable) - the maxim ‘equity treats as done that which ought to be done’ would result in the donee having an equitable interest in the object since they ought to have gotten a legal one if the contract was performed.
IpsaLoquitur
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For these purposes, consideration has the same meaning as in contract law - the donee must give anything of legal value in exchange for the gift/promised gift.
HotShot A
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by IpsaLoquitur)
Yes. Basically if the donor tries to make a gift but fails (and so retains ownership of the thing), equity will not assist a ‘volunteer’ (someone who has not given consideration) in their claim to get some property interest in the object.

Contrast the position with the person who does give consideration (assuming the contract is specifically enforceable) - the maxim ‘equity treats as done that which ought to be done’ would result in the donee having an equitable interest in the object since they ought to have gotten a legal one if the contract was performed.
Thank you very much, so by volunteer they mean the alleged donee right?
Last edited by HotShot A; 1 year ago
IpsaLoquitur
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yep.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (95)
38.93%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
11.07%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.38%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.36%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.97%

Watched Threads