applied to oxford after a year in university (US) Watch

lucyfeng12345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi! I am currently a senior in American high school. I went to America in 9th grade as an international student from Beijing. I am thinking of going to a US university for one year and then applied to oxford (since I just realize how much I want to go there but I already miss the deadline for this year). My parents obviously don't allow me to take a gap year(they even wasn't really positive about me going to the UK, but whatever I know what I want), so just wondering will that be a disadvantage for going to an American university for freshman year and then applied to oxford? And is there any recommendation for what I should do in my freshman year. ps: is that matter if I am going to double major in math and music in US university but want to apply for PPE in oxford. (Also, America university has 4 years but the UK only have 3 years, so I would still graduate in the same year as my friends which is nice)
Last edited by lucyfeng12345; 4 weeks ago
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It won't be any disadvantage.
lucyfeng12345
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
It won't be any disadvantage.
OK, that's nice thank you.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lucyfeng12345)
(since I just realize how much I want to go there but I already miss the deadline for this year)
You still have 11 hours ..
2500_2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi! I am currently a senior in American high school. I went to America in 9th grade as an international student from Beijing. I am thinking of going to a US university for one year and then applied to oxford (since I just realize how much I want to go there but I already miss the deadline for this year). My parents obviously don't allow me to take a gap year(they even wasn't really positive about me going to the UK, but whatever I know what I want), so just wondering will that be a disadvantage for going to an American university for freshman year and then applied to oxford? And is there any recommendation for what I should do in my freshman year. ps: is that matter if I am going to double major in math and music in US university but want to apply for PPE in oxford. (Also, America university has 4 years but the UK only have 3 years, so I would still graduate in the same year as my friends which is nice)
Have you looked at Oxford's answer about this question? https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/a...etail/a_id/547
lucyfeng12345
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
You still have 11 hours ..
that's true, but I am not prepared.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
that's true, but I am not prepared.
What do you have to lose?
lucyfeng12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
Have you looked at Oxford's answer about this question? https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/a...etail/a_id/547
Thank! I just look at it but it didn't mention anything about the weather is ok to apply to the major that is not my university major in the US (it only mention about medicine which is irrelevant to me)
jduxie4414
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly just apply today with as much as you can, if you don’t get in then you try again next year as you already plan to. Might aswell give yourself a shot if you can, of course Oxford is hard to get into but you should at least try
lucyfeng12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by jduxie4414)
Honestly just apply today with as much as you can, if you don’t get in then you try again next year as you already plan to. Might aswell give yourself a shot if you can, of course Oxford is hard to get into but you should at least try
The things are that I am not planning to apply to any UK school in the first place, so I haven't written my UCAS essay yet. Also, I am studying in a private small high school in California, there is literally only one person in my class is going to the applied UK for law program at king's college. Most of my friends and upper classmates are applied for UC or some other university in the US, so the only way I can know about the UK school is through online. And I just decided to apply for some UK school this year but still not sure what school I am going to applied because I don't have knowledge of most of the UK school. (maybe I should start a new discussion about the recommendation for UK school).
Last edited by lucyfeng12345; 3 weeks ago
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
it's not a good idea. US degrees are liberal arts, Oxbridge degrees are focused, so your 1st year at a US uni won't prepare you well for anything other than a year abroad programme
lucyfeng12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
it's not a good idea. US degrees are liberal arts, Oxbridge degrees are focused, so your 1st year at a US uni won't prepare you well for anything other than a year abroad programme
so do you think it will be better if I just applied to some UK school this year and spend my first year of university in some UK school rather than the US. The thing is that my parents don't allow me to take a gap year and I have a higher chance to get into a great US university because I have a relatively high GPA and some great extra extracurricular. Therefore, I am still struggling whether I should go to a US university and self-study to prepare for oxford application (also my major for the US is irrelevant for the major I want to apply for oxford) or I should go to a UK school which can better prepare me for oxford application.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
so do you think it will be better if I just applied to some UK school this year and spend my first year of university in some UK school rather than the US. The thing is that my parents don't allow me to take a gap year and I have a higher chance to get into a great US university because I have a relatively high GPA and some great extra extracurricular. Therefore, I am still struggling whether I should go to a US university and self-study to prepare for oxford application (also my major for the US is irrelevant for the major I want to apply for oxford) or I should go to a UK school which can better prepare me for oxford application.
as you've missed the Oxbridge deadline i think you just need to stick to American universities and then apply to Oxbridge either for a year abroad programme OR for a Masters degree - as UK masters degrees are 1 yr vs 2 yrs in the US, your parents might prefer that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Are you registered to vote?