Civil Service application help: how to answer 'Managing a Quality Service' question?

Watch
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone

I have applied for an Executive Officer role with the Department for Work and Pensions. I have submitted the online application and now require to complete the second part of the application. For this section, I need to answer the 'managing a Quality Service' competency. I'm not sure what this entirely means and how to answer this.

This is what the section asks:

"Provide statements below describing your skills and experience relevant to each of the stated behaviours. We recommend that you structure your example as Situation, Task, Action and Result. Each answer should not exceed 250 words"

I know how to use the STAR technique, i'm just not sure what examples to use and I am a bit stuck.
I would be grateful if somebody could help me with this. The word limit is 250 words.
Last edited by 540; 1 year ago
Emmy76
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 540)
Hi everyone

I have applied for an Executive Officer role with the Department for Work and Pensions. I have submitted the online application and now require to complete the second part of the application. For this section, I need to answer the 'managing a Quality Service' competency. I'm not sure what this entirely means and how to answer this.

This is what the section asks:

"Provide statements below describing your skills and experience relevant to each of the stated behaviours. We recommend that you structure your example as Situation, Task, Action and Result. Each answer should not exceed 250 words"

I know how to use the STAR technique, i'm just not sure what examples to use and I am a bit stuck.
I would be grateful if somebody could help me with this. The word limit is 250 words.
I have sent you a PM.
OnceUponAStudent
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"Work with customers to understand their needs and expectations. Create clear plans and set priorities which meet the needs of both the customer and the business. Clearly explain to customers what can be done. Keep colleagues and stakeholders fully informed of plans, possibilities and progress. Identify common problems that affect service, report them and find possible solutions. Deliver good customer service which balances quality and cost effectiveness."

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ccess-profiles
Channel b
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi. Im also in the same situation as above, im applying internally and have to write a statement covering managing quality services. I just dont know which example to use or how to start. If anyone can help me i would really appreciate it. X
khaia
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emmy76)
I have sent you a PM.
I also need help with this section of the form. I am quite unsure what the PM is so it is possible for you to send it to me?
Sarahvm1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,Me too sorry.Any tips would be appreciated.Thank you
DHughes87
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
If anyone is looking for some help, feel free to send me a PM
Viven1917
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by DHughes87)
If anyone is looking for some help, feel free to send me a PM
Hi i am looking help for tom for my interview i have two examples but am not sure they are the right fit , can you help
Emmy76
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Just use the same examples you have used on your application form. This would have been scored by someone different than the petson(s) interviewing you, so they won't have read your application.
You are allowed to use the same examples and then always build on them / add more detail.
Good Luck
Emmy76
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Person(s)*
akbar1102
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I have sent you a PM.
How did you get on? did you get the job? Im currently heading towards that role and know there going to ask me that same question
Emmy76
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by akbar1102)
How did you get on? did you get the job? Im currently heading towards that role and know there going to ask me that same question
Hi Akbar - Were you asking me (emmy76) whether I'd got the job, or the person I sent the private message to?

I am a current work coach for DWP. I just started in Jan 20. My interview was in October 19 & found out a couple of weeks later.
Read over what you put down on your application & see whether you can expand on your answers. For the competency based questions, I used the same ones from my application form at interview.
Strength ones you can't really prepare for as such, just be honest & don't try to answer the question, by saying what you think they want to hear.
There's no right or wrong answer on the strength based questions.
The competency questions, you can pretty much prepare for from remembering your responses on the application.
Different assessors mark your form to those on the interview panel, so they aren't aware of what you wrote on your application. If your application was good enough to get you shortlisted for an interview, then best to stick with those examples.

Good Luck.
trishay
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I have applied for an Executive Officer role with the Department for Work and Pensions. I have submitted the online application and now require to complete the second part of the application.For this section, I need to answer the 'managing a Quality Service' competency. I'm not sure what this entirely means and how to answer this.
OnceUponAStudent
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
https://assets.publishing.service.go...iours_2018.pdf

Work with customers to understand their needs and expectations. Create clear plans and set priorities which meet the needs of both the customer and the business. Clearly explain to customers what can be done. Keep colleagues and stakeholders fully informed of plans, possibilities and progress. Identify common problems that affect service, report them and find possible solutions. Deliver good customer service which balances quality and cost effectiveness.
You need to give an example where you demonstrated the behaviour above.
champagne1978
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I'd love some help with this, I am really struggling to think of any success profiles.
linzitess
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi I wonder if you can help me too need a bit of advice, I am also applying to work as an expectative officer within in the civil service department and I am asked to explain experiences against the communicating and influencing behaviour. I have been in retail and restaurant departments for many years now i have a few examples of my experience within those departments as customer service but not sure if that is correct the behaviour question any help and advice i would be grateful so i know where to start. thank you
akbar1102
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi Akbar - Were you asking me (emmy76) whether I'd got the job, or the person I sent the private message to?

I am a current work coach for DWP. I just started in Jan 20. My interview was in October 19 & found out a couple of weeks later.
Read over what you put down on your application & see whether you can expand on your answers. For the competency based questions, I used the same ones from my application form at interview.
Strength ones you can't really prepare for as such, just be honest & don't try to answer the question, by saying what you think they want to hear.
There's no right or wrong answer on the strength based questions.
The competency questions, you can pretty much prepare for from remembering your responses on the application.
Different assessors mark your form to those on the interview panel, so they aren't aware of what you wrote on your application. If your application was good enough to get you shortlisted for an interview, then best to stick with those examples.

Good Luck.
Hello Emmy,

Thanks for your reply as my question was to you lol, congratulations on the job! I have completed the online situational judgemental test and have passed, I was expecting an interview offer by now however still nothing. I am using this time to prepare as much as I can for the interview which will be pre recorded and they will ask me 6 questions on 3 behaviours, Managing a quality service, Communication and Influencing and lastly Making effective decisions. I have apparently round 3 mins to answer these which I am kind of dreading as I am having trouble to minimise all that I said on my application for a 3 minute response using "star". Also now that you are in do you reckon they will offer permanent contracts as supposed to the 12 month offered?
M.snow
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
HI. I need to complete this online interview too with a day.. any idea what are they asking about is it general questions or very specific ? I am not ready at all.
sharon....
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hello,I applied for the Work Coach role yesterday evening, Completed my 500 words on communicating & influencing and then proceeded to complete the Situational Judgement test. I still haven't received a reply on the test if I have passed or failed. I thought you got an automated reply within 30 minutes. On checking just now it still says 'Thank you for completing the online Situational Judgement Test. Your application will now be reviewed by our team.'

Can anyone advise how long their result took to come through?

Thank you
Last edited by sharon....; 9 months ago
Mich 24
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I need help with example of managing a quality services
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (74)
22.56%
Excited but a bit nervous (150)
45.73%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.59%
I'm really nervous (66)
20.12%

Watched Threads