Copyright issue with writing an article for a student journal

Watch
Karen5
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am planning to submit an essay of mine for publication in a student-led journal run by the law society at my university.

I generally own the copyright in every essays I wrote, but I wonder if I will lost my copyright once the essay is submitted/accepted by the university law society. I understand that the student society is not a legal person, so I assume that they cannot own a copyright. Will the editor who review and edit my essay own the copyright?

Also, this journal will not go online but will be circulated among members. If I reuse part of my own essay in my coursework, will this be considered plagiarism? Or will this only be so if my essay somehow becomes available online and get caught by turnitin?
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Karen5)
If I reuse part of my own essay in my coursework, will this be considered plagiarism? Or will this only be so if my essay somehow becomes available online and get caught by turnitin?
I can't answer any of the copyright stuff, but the answer to this part is yes, that could be plagiarism. It would be an example of self-plagiarism, where you reuse your own work without making that clear.
Tutor_edit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Karen5)
I am planning to submit an essay of mine for publication in a student-led journal run by the law society at my university.

I generally own the copyright in every essays I wrote, but I wonder if I will lost my copyright once the essay is submitted/accepted by the university law society. I understand that the student society is not a legal person, so I assume that they cannot own a copyright. Will the editor who review and edit my essay own the copyright?

Also, this journal will not go online but will be circulated among members. If I reuse part of my own essay in my coursework, will this be considered plagiarism? Or will this only be so if my essay somehow becomes available online and get caught by turnitin?
Hi Karen, congratulations on this achievement!

Publishing your work is a huge step towards building your career. Unfortunately, this would be considered self-plagiarism and Turnitin will identify it as such. I advice you to ask a professor or someone from the journal just to be sure. However, if you need any help developing more your essay so that it's not the same as the publication, we are more than happy to assist you.
Karen5
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Tutor_edit)
Publishing your work is a huge step towards building your career. Unfortunately, this would be considered self-plagiarism and Turnitin will identify it as such.
I thought Turnitin can only identify plagiarism if the original work is available online. If my article is never uploaded online but circulated as physical copies or via email, can Turnitin still identify it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (53)
17.97%
No one else does (92)
31.19%
I'm embarrassed about my background (32)
10.85%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (99)
33.56%
We don't use a video platform (6)
2.03%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.37%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise