The Student Room Group

Starting to become extremely stressed with uni

Started uni (Strathclyde) a month ago and it is a great uni. People seem nice and courses are enjoyable. However, I am beginning to get overwhelmed and confused over several things and that is making me very stressed.

I feel as if they gave us a few days before piling on homework, but I feel as if I've barely had time to find my footing with various different things so I am simply being overwhelmed. I'm still not sure where certain things are or how to do them. Yes, I get that it is uni not school and they aren't there to spoon-feed info, but I'm worried that I'm getting flustered this early.

This week is also the October week for schools, and since most of my classes are early in the week, I was able to go to Prague with my family last weekend. I regret that now because I flew back in yesterday morning for an afternoon lecture and am now behind.

To add insult to injury, my dad booked us another surprise weekend away in London this weekend. I am grateful that I can travel but I really can't do another weekend away at this point since I'm needing time to get to grips with things and spending 3 days in a city 400 miles away is just adding to the problem.

My social anxiety has also flared up recently, which has meant that I'm yet to make friends and that is dragging me down. I've became very quiet in lectures and tutorials which is a bit of a disaster. I'm sure that other people just think I'm timid but that is detrimental to groupwork and also pretty much blacklists me from making friends. My 18th birthday is coming up next month, I don't want any gifts but I do want a friend.

Sorry for ranting, but had a lot of baggage. How can I turn things around by the end of the month? I'm a bit highly strung so I'm not expecting things to be stress-free but anything will help.
Reply 1
Hi,
I don't go to your uni but I would suggest telling your dad
your feelings about the London trip. There's plenty of graceful
ways to set boundaries and I'm sure your parents will understand.
Maybe something like "I really appreciate the gesture and would love to go
but I've been feeling overwhelmed by my coursework and I would
feel a lot better if I got a chance to catch up on coursework instead".

As far as social anxiety it's something you have to make an effort to
overcome and takes time. If it helps keep in mind most other people
feel similar levels of insecurity as you do.

I would try booking the uni counseling services and get in touch with
an academic advisor or mentor on campus. There's loads of people
at uni who's job is to support you.

Anyway, that's my .02. Best of luck!
Reply 2
Hi,
Here in TSR, we have groups which can help you with your homework through discussions so you can have an idea of what you are doing and that way, make your work easier.
Which course are you doing?
Original post by Anonymous
Started uni (Strathclyde) a month ago and it is a great uni. People seem nice and courses are enjoyable. However, I am beginning to get overwhelmed and confused over several things and that is making me very stressed.

I feel as if they gave us a few days before piling on homework, but I feel as if I've barely had time to find my footing with various different things so I am simply being overwhelmed. I'm still not sure where certain things are or how to do them. Yes, I get that it is uni not school and they aren't there to spoon-feed info, but I'm worried that I'm getting flustered this early.

This week is also the October week for schools, and since most of my classes are early in the week, I was able to go to Prague with my family last weekend. I regret that now because I flew back in yesterday morning for an afternoon lecture and am now behind.

To add insult to injury, my dad booked us another surprise weekend away in London this weekend. I am grateful that I can travel but I really can't do another weekend away at this point since I'm needing time to get to grips with things and spending 3 days in a city 400 miles away is just adding to the problem.

My social anxiety has also flared up recently, which has meant that I'm yet to make friends and that is dragging me down. I've became very quiet in lectures and tutorials which is a bit of a disaster. I'm sure that other people just think I'm timid but that is detrimental to groupwork and also pretty much blacklists me from making friends. My 18th birthday is coming up next month, I don't want any gifts but I do want a friend.

Sorry for ranting, but had a lot of baggage. How can I turn things around by the end of the month? I'm a bit highly strung so I'm not expecting things to be stress-free but anything will help.

It's great that your family like to spend on holidays with you, but I would have a talk with your father about not going to London. Explain that you need the time to focus on your new studies and get a hand on settling in, especially with your course. Perhaps you can join in trips when you feel more at ease with university during holiday times?

University is a big change from college. Learn how to divide your time well between your modules and your social life. A study timetable could be a good idea so you make you sure are spending a even amount of time on each module, and not neglecting one or two. I would also recommend a study diary - you can jot down important meetings, deadlines and schedule your work to be done. Of course, if you still feel you are struggling, talk to your personal tutor - they may be able to help you work things through or give you more advice.

In terms of the social aspect, don't be afraid to talk to people. On the whole, most people are friendly and will chat back. Try to find people you may find common interests with, for example, joining societies.
Sounds about right. Everyone I've spoken to has been under an intense amount of stress for at least one period of time during university, whether it be about coursework, exams, resits, relationships, finances, physical/mental health or a combination of more than one of these.

One of the most important things is to learn how to prioritize. Once you're able to do that, it gets less stressful and waiting for holidays is worth it, because you won't have the repetitious thought of "what if I messed up that exam or what if that coursework was crap". Same with social bonds, plan your days off, but stick to it and don't skip studies many times spontaneously because you might have lots of fun, only now and then.

Quick Reply