The Student Room Group

I want to be a doctor but is it too late?

Hi everyone,

In my GCSEs (2016) I got 10 A*s and an A. I really wanted to be a doctor but my family didn't want that and I was scared of getting rejected so I took History (A*), English Lit (A) and French (A) at A level and applied to law. I've just started my second year of Law at QMUL. I'm depressed and I've hated it ever since I've started. I don't want to be a lawyer. I want to be a doctor.

I have done research and want to know what people think my best options are from...:
1. Dropping out now and redoing my A-Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths, doing a UCAT and work experience and applying to Medicine traditionally (leaving me graduating at 26 if I do an accelerated course for A-Levels
2. Dropping out now and applying for Foundation Medicine at Manchester, Cardiff or Dundee after having worked for a couple of years, saved money, got work experience and a great UCAT
3. Push myself to finish this Law degree and do graduate medicine courses (although these are much more competitive and I really think I'd struggle financially with funding etc)

I don't know what to do. I've always worked so hard and now I feel like I might have to give up on my dream. Are there any other options, and if not, which of the three would you recommend?

Thank you all so much in advance for your help!
just finish your degree in law and then do graduate entry medicine.. it'll be so much easier than you sitting three a levels for two more years.

also, you've already funded your first and some of your second year so there's no point in leaving now. have something to put on record for your past three years. you can achieve whatever you want to but don't let the money/years go to waste. make them count and graduate with flying colours.

Quick Reply

Latest