Karen5
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
With AAB at A-Levels, I might have a few good options when it comes to choosing a law school. I chose BPP based on some advice I was given and now I realized that BPP might not be the best option for me. A reason was that it is not 'traditionally academic ' enough for a young aspiring legal academic like me, e.g. there's no opportunity to work as a research assistant to a professor. Nonetheless, I would still want to qualify as a barrister first and will not consider changing law school in the middle of my LLB course. I want to know what the public perceptions of BPP LLB graduates and BPP Law School as a whole are, given BPP does not have a rich history like other prestigious unis. What shall I do in order to strengthen my application for pupillage and/or PhD?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Karen5)
With AAB at A-Levels, I might have a few good options when it comes to choosing a law school. I chose BPP based on some advice I was given and now I realized that BPP might not be the best option for me. A reason was that it is not 'traditionally academic ' enough for a young aspiring legal academic like me, e.g. there's no opportunity to work as a research assistant to a professor. Nonetheless, I would still want to qualify as a barrister first and will not consider changing law school in the middle of my LLB course. I want to know what the public perceptions of BPP LLB graduates and BPP Law School as a whole are, given BPP does not have a rich history like other prestigious unis. What shall I do in order to strengthen my application for pupillage and/or PhD?
Obviously BPP does not compare to academic Law schools like LSE/UCL.

If you are an aspiring legal academic I would do an LLM at somewhere more prestigious. I have linked the requirements at UCL below

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/laws/study/llm...20requirements
iamastudent0
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I don't think BPP is that bad if you have a 2:1 or a first in addition to a few internships to show your motivation in law. Your AAB wouldn't have made get in Oxbridge for Law anyway, while other unis do not really differ that much.

People here suggested you to do an LLM, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea, as I've been strongly advised against this. Chambers that I've spoken with don't take LLMs seriously, so perhaps your money and time would be better spent elsewhere.
Last edited by iamastudent0; 7 months ago
xxvine
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Obviously BPP does not compare to academic Law schools like LSE/UCL.

If you are an aspiring legal academic I would do an LLM at somewhere more prestigious. I have linked the requirements at UCL below

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/laws/study/llm...20requirements
An LLM is a masters in law right?
Does that mean you will have to do the. LPC afterwards otherwise you can't practice as a solicitor?
An LLM does not include an LPC right?
xxvine
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by iamastudent0)
I don't think BPP is that bad if you have a 2:1 or a first in addition to a few internships to show your motivation in law. Your AAB wouldn't have made get in Oxbridge for Law anyway, while other unis do not really differ that much.

People here suggested you to do an LLM, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea, as I've been strongly advised against this. Chambers that I've spoken with don't take LLMs seriously, so perhaps your money and time would be better spent elsewhere.
So what do you do after your law degree? LPC then look for a training contract?
Its not worth doing a masters?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by xxvine)
An LLM is a masters in law right?
Does that mean you will have to do the. LPC afterwards otherwise you can't practice as a solicitor?
An LLM does not include an LPC right?
You can combine an LLM with an LPC or just do an LPC on its own. You don't need the LLM element but it does mean you can easily get funding for a postgraduate loan

https://www.bpp.com/courses/law/llm-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
xxvine
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
You can combine an LLM with an LPC or just do an LPC on its own. You don't need the LLM element but it does mean you can easily get funding for a postgraduate loan

https://www.bpp.com/courses/law/llm-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Oh yeah the LPC does not come with funding.

I can't seem to find any top university that combines the LLM with an LPC.
It's seems only uni's like BPP do it.
xxvine
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by J Papi)
junk
get good grades and a do a Master's at a proper law faculty
Will a top law faculty like UCL or Kings take an applicant for a masters from BPP?
iamastudent0
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by xxvine)
Will a top law faculty like UCL or Kings take an applicant for a masters from BPP?
I can't tell for sure as I've never worked for them, but I don't see why anyone should be discriminated against just because they didn't go to a prestigious uni like Oxbridge.

OP has AAB, so OP should probably be doing better at BPP as compared to others who get in with CCC. I think grades at uni matter a lot.
xxvine
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by iamastudent0)
I can't tell for sure as I've never worked for them, but I don't see why anyone should be discriminated against just because they didn't go to a prestigious uni like Oxbridge.

OP has AAB, so OP should probably be doing better at BPP as compared to others who get in with CCC. I think grades at uni matter a lot.
I just realised that LSE and UCL charge 16k for their masters and the max loan you can get from the government is 10k. I need to rethink things because I won't be able to afford it sadly!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (105)
13.43%
I'm not sure (35)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.82%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.43%
I'm not a current university student (382)
48.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed