The Student Room Group

Changing universities/course

I am having second thoughts on my university course and I don't know what to do. I am taking Psychology and I'm about three weeks in but I think I want to change. All my life I have had a passion for animals and I would really love to have a career in some kind of animal care. At college I took psychology and found it really interesting, but realistically I don't think I want to have a career in Psychology. I've spoken to family/other people before about how I've felt and they always just seem to say that just having a degree in general opens so many doors. I don't know why I didn't take a veterinary degree or an animal science degree because now I'm really regretting it! Problem is they don't do those courses at my university so if I wanted to do it I would have to change universities.

Has anyone been through something similar? What was the process in terms of the loans and accommodation etc? I've booked to see a careers advisor but would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar situation :smile:
Original post by madzlovesbudz
I am having second thoughts on my university course and I don't know what to do. I am taking Psychology and I'm about three weeks in but I think I want to change. All my life I have had a passion for animals and I would really love to have a career in some kind of animal care. At college I took psychology and found it really interesting, but realistically I don't think I want to have a career in Psychology. I've spoken to family/other people before about how I've felt and they always just seem to say that just having a degree in general opens so many doors. I don't know why I didn't take a veterinary degree or an animal science degree because now I'm really regretting it! Problem is they don't do those courses at my university so if I wanted to do it I would have to change universities.

Has anyone been through something similar? What was the process in terms of the loans and accommodation etc? I've booked to see a careers advisor but would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar situation :smile:

Do you have or can you get the A level grades for vet science?
You get funding for degree length +1
Only a very small % get a career directly in psych and on average they pay well below average.

If you leave you can get the experience you need.
If the uni and sfe will let you off and you can pay the money back I would do so.

I will assume you have the A level grades, so id the unis and just apply.

Btw today was the deadline for vet med applications. If it is that much of a passion as you claim, then you are looking beyond that. Imo do not attempt to do a degree then as a second degree unless you have lots of money. If you want out get out owing as little as possible then be patient and meet entrance requirements. If you want it enough you will sort it out.

Quick Reply

Latest