The Student Room Group

How do I tutor?

I'm currently a year 13 student and want to tutor primary school children and those that are doing GCSE Maths and Science. How could I tutor??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by itzme_02
I'm currently a year 13 student and want to tutor primary school children and those that are doing GCSE Maths and Science. How could I tutor??

No parent is going to spend their hard-earned money on employing a child as a tutor to their child, regardless of how well you might have done in your GCSEs. You have no experience of teaching, tutoring, mentoring, marking work, setting schemes of works, assessment, examinations.... Even though you're proposing to tutor primary school children (leaving aside the question as to why a primary age child would even need a tutor) - tutoring isn't going to happen.

Have you looked a Greggs, or Halfords or something?
Original post by Reality Check
No parent is going to spend their hard-earned money on employing a child as a tutor to their child, regardless of how well you might have done in your GCSEs. You have no experience of teaching, tutoring, mentoring, marking work, setting schemes of works, assessment, examinations.... Even though you're proposing to tutor primary school children (leaving aside the question as to why a primary age child would even need a tutor) - tutoring isn't going to happen.

as someone who tutors year 4s and 11+ and GCSE students i wouldnt be so sure on that. Parents will do a lot :wink:
Original post by acromo123
as someone who tutors year 4s and 11+ and GCSE students i wouldnt be so sure on that. Parents will do a lot :wink:

Have you been watching Motherland? :smile:
Have you been watching Motherland? :smile:

i think you need a reality check. its crazy i know little 8 year old who have private tuition to increase their sats nfer tests. in my day i didnt even care about those but now little kids revise for those and parents think that they are godd indicators for oxbridge (they arent). but, tutoring is not a bad thing for a level students as the rates are cheaper and you can connect with them more so they know of strategies which helped them not fake strategies that an old teacher thinks works. if the thread starter wants to start. try by asking family and friends or even offer yourself on social media and gumtree etc. but word of mouth is the best
Reply 5

No, I've heard a lot of 17-18 year old students tutor during their gap years because they do have the qualifications actually.
Original post by lifeshard..
i think you need a reality check. its crazy i know little 8 year old who have private tuition to increase their sats nfer tests. in my day i didnt even care about those but now little kids revise for those and parents think that they are godd indicators for oxbridge (they arent). but, tutoring is not a bad thing for a level students as the rates are cheaper and you can connect with them more so they know of strategies which helped them not fake strategies that an old teacher thinks works. if the thread starter wants to start. try by asking family and friends or even offer yourself on social media and gumtree etc. but word of mouth is the best

I don't, but thanks for offering.

You're quite correct - if the OP wants to tutor, then the strategies you suggest are a good starting point. However, in my experience, children fresh out of their examinations make poor tutors, for obvious reasons. But as you infer if a desperate parent is willing to part with their money in this manner, then maybe the OP can take advantage of that.
No, I've heard a lot of 17-18 year old students tutor during their gap years because they do have the qualifications actually.

What qualifications are those, then?

Actually I know a lot of people who tutor as A-Level students, if you’re good at your subject it’s often a cheaper option for parents to get an A-Level student to help w GCSES and that
Original post by maddyjm02
Actually I know a lot of people who tutor as A-Level students, if you’re good at your subject it’s often a cheaper option for parents to get an A-Level student to help w GCSES and that

Of course it's cheaper. It's cheaper for a reason though, isn't it? Or are these A level students choosing not to charge the market rate?
Reply 10

yeah, do you know how those a level students tutor though?
Reply 11
What qualifications are those, then?

Well isn't it obvious, GCSE and A Level Qualifications, which proves it?
Well isn't it obvious, GCSE and A Level Qualifications, which proves it?

Proves what?
Reply 13
Proves what?

Proves that you would be able to tutor the kid as they have that knowledge.
Proves that you would be able to tutor the kid as they have that knowledge.

No, it proves that you can pass an examination. It proves nothing about your ability to teach, to impart knowledge or to do anything which a 'tutor' actually needs to be able to do. That comes from experience: not waving around bits of paper showing you've just managed to pass your GCSE triple science.

As I said - if you think you can tutor, then ask around friends and family. By the sounds of it, you'll find someone foolish enough to part with their money, so you should be quids in. Good luck with it.

Have a look at this thread. It sort of bears out what I am saying to you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
No, it proves that you can pass an examination. It proves nothing about your ability to teach, to impart knowledge or to do anything which a 'tutor' actually needs to be able to do. That comes from experience: not waving around bits of paper showing you've just managed to pass your GCSE triple science.

As I said - if you think you can tutor, then ask around friends and family. By the sounds of it, you'll find someone foolish enough to part with their money, so you should be quids in. Good luck with it.

Alright then, thanks a lot for your help.
Alright then, thanks a lot for your help.

You're welcome. Good luck with it. :smile:
yeah, do you know how those a level students tutor though?

I think just word of mouth generally? If you’ve got any neighbours or family friends with kids? Or sometimes there’s centres that do it- so could start there?
Reply 18
I think just word of mouth generally? If you’ve got any neighbours or family friends with kids? Or sometimes there’s centres that do it- so could start there?

okay, do you know any centres?
Of course it's cheaper. It's cheaper for a reason though, isn't it? Or are these A level students choosing not to charge the market rate?

Generally A-Level students will just offer a reduced rate, maybe £10/h instead of £25-30/h which is a common rate. It depends on what you want, if you want a student to pass their GCSEs, its fine to get an A-Level student, they’ve just done the GCSEs and know the knowledge. If you’re paying more for someone more qualified it could be seen as wasted effort if an A-Level student could teach the same content. If the student doesn’t do a good job just find a new tutor

Quick Reply

Latest