The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Issue with my studies at ICL

Hello guys, I have a slight issue with my studies. Do you know how can I contact the provost to discuss this with him ?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello guys, I have a slight issue with my studies. Do you know how can I contact the provost to discuss this with him ?

Bit dramatic. Wouldn't you be better off starting with your tutor?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Bit dramatic. Wouldn't you be better off starting with your tutor?

I already talked with him. He can't really help me
I already talked with him. He can't really help me

OK.

Is the chain of command Tutor–Provost, though? Surely there's a departmental/school head to go through first? Also, all unis have a complaints procedure which you need to follow, with clear steps and processes. Even were you to email the Provost about your issue, he or she will just refer you back into the complaints process, for obvious reasons.

Academic chain of command at Imperial would go something like personal tutor, head of year or head of lab, senior tutor, teaching committee, director of Undergraduate Studies, Head of Department, assorted College Deans, Provost. You need to work your way through the system as there are a whole series of processes, checks and balances designed to support students, and various experts to call if if needed (disabilities team, academic misconduct panel etc).

Can you give us an idea of what you think is so critical that it needs the Provost's attention. He is the person I would go to if I wanted a senior member of College to lobby Government about an issue critical to the UK science budget or our institutional relationship with a UK research funding council, thats where his focus will usually be.
Are you not enjoying your course or something?
I went to talk to my Senior Tutor about it (Departmental) and she was helpful.
Other than that, you should go talk to your Personal Tutor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending