The Student Room Group

Why does this bother me so much?

I'm 17 and entitled to half fare for now on the bus but some bus drivers are overly rude and demand I bring my card out to prove it while some don't even need me to get it out making me feel like they think I'm over 18 or older than I look which definitely isn't the case being the smallest in my sixth form. On the other hand I get asked for ID for energy drinks because Tesco ask for them for under 16s. So are they just following procedure or is it that they don't believe me just an odd thought as some drivers are nice and don't bother asking for the card.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 17 and entitled to half fare for now on the bus but some bus drivers are overly rude and demand I bring my card out to prove it while some don't even need me to get it out making me feel like they think I'm over 18 or older than I look which definitely isn't the case being the smallest in my sixth form. On the other hand I get asked for ID for energy drinks because Tesco ask for them for under 16s. So are they just following procedure or is it that they don't believe me just an odd thought as some drivers are nice and don't bother asking for the card.

They should ask to see your card every time. The fact the drivers are sometimes rude about it is just their own problem.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
They should ask to see your card every time. The fact the drivers are sometimes rude about it is just their own problem.

It's more the worry of me getting older I don't know I'm just not ready for university and those types of things. I have childish habits and am mistaken for a 15 year old quite often so this just got on my mind. But I guess bus drivers are just like that the rudeness just gave me a sense of disbelief though as it felt like being treated like i'm in my 20's
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

The ones who ask you for your card ID are entirely correct and within the scope of the requirements of their job! It is not about being nice to you! How can they be sure that you are under 18? And what happens if inspectors get on the bus and it turns out that you are over 18? Some people cheat and lie and fare dodge! Don't take it personally!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending