can i teach my self the whole a level geography spec in 11 months Watch

yali12
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
so this is weird. the third time I've wanted to change subject. in my first year of college i did engineering as a BTEC 90 credit diploma, thats not really relevant but after finding out that i hated the subject and was forced to stay a year, at the end of the year I decided i didn't want to carry on with the course and so i changed colleges and decided a levels where the best options for me. in my first year of a levels (second year in college) I did media business and graphic design(all linear a levels which meant i get assessed all at the end of the 2 years). i done well in business and graphic design but i absolutely hated media and pretty much forced my self to stay the year, i got a C in my mock and an A in business. now I need AAA for my university of choice and ill tell you something for sure, there is no way i am getting an A in media, it is currently approaching the first half term of the academic year and I've been doing some research on a level geography (i think my college is doing aqa) basically my question is if i get let to change courses do guys think ill struggle. bit of context ive looked at the spec and most of the stuff on there i already know from watching the news and youtube videos. im pretty sure there is some stuff in the spec i dont already know but the real question is can i get an A in a level geography. if anyone has done a level geography and doesn't mind responding id massively appreciate it. also how is the course work like can i get that done easily
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by yali12)
so this is weird. the third time I've wanted to change subject. in my first year of college i did engineering as a BTEC 90 credit diploma, thats not really relevant but after finding out that i hated the subject and was forced to stay a year, at the end of the year I decided i didn't want to carry on with the course and so i changed colleges and decided a levels where the best options for me. in my first year of a levels (second year in college) I did media business and graphic design(all linear a levels which meant i get assessed all at the end of the 2 years). i done well in business and graphic design but i absolutely hated media and pretty much forced my self to stay the year, i got a C in my mock and an A in business. now I need AAA for my university of choice and ill tell you something for sure, there is no way i am getting an A in media, it is currently approaching the first half term of the academic year and I've been doing some research on a level geography (i think my college is doing aqa) basically my question is if i get let to change courses do guys think ill struggle. bit of context ive looked at the spec and most of the stuff on there i already know from watching the news and youtube videos. im pretty sure there is some stuff in the spec i dont already know but the real question is can i get an A in a level geography. if anyone has done a level geography and doesn't mind responding id massively appreciate it. also how is the course work like can i get that done easily
Yes you will struggle a lot since you're quite behind. I'd suggest you look at Geography past papers, as they're not as easy as you're thinking. There is A LOT of essays to write, and you're required to know as many case studies as possible (including A LOT statistics and facts surrounding it) in order to provide evidence for your arguments or for discussions. You'll also need to do a lot of research yourself.

Its up to you to decide, but I'd recommend focusing in your current subject and improving as much as you can. You have plenty of time to work on it.
yali12
Rep:
?
are case studies set by the exam board or can you use any world event relevant to the question? does your teacher give you specific case studies to learn? have you started your coursework?
ive look at past paper and i think if i was to do one right now i would probably get a D. bare in mind ive never done geogrpahy in gcse or a level but i have a really good understanding of most the content spoken about. ive read the spec and there isn't much in there where i think 'damn thats gonna be super hard to learn'. im going in to speak to one of my tutors tomorrow to discuss my options to see if geography is the right choice but bro you don't understand how much i hate media. it's not like one of those subjects where you can revise to get better because there isn't much you can revise, there aren't no factual things you can speak about you can just bull**** your way of speaking and i hate those type of subject because there is no structure even though you have so much avenues
naem071
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's possible to complete the A-level in less than a year, but that would be an incredibly hard and hectic period to put yourself through.

The first glaring obstacle would be your exam technique and essay writing skills. The two year course is designed so that students are able to refine their essay writing technique and analytical skills, and most importantly that they develop their ability to evaluate. This may be a struggle to you, especially seen as you haven't had any exposure to geography at GCSE and that you have half the time to hone in on your skills.

The second obstacle would be the NEA, and the requirement of four days fieldwork. The four days fieldwork component could be done independently or with your school, presumably you'd be with the first years. The NEA can be done in a month, maybe a month and a half, if you dedicate quite some time each day to completing it. Whilst many people are under the impression of this being 'free marks' and a 'guaranteed 20%', the reality is that the NEA is far harder than this. Most people will score between a C/B, with exceptional pieces receiving the highest grades - exemplars are available online.

In terms of content, if you were to dedicate a very large chunk of your time to geography I could see it being completed within 6 months at the latest. In regard to case studies, your teachers will have their own set case studies that they will teach you, but there is no obligation for you to use them, it's perfectly acceptable to research your own case studies so long as they are compatible with the guidelines on the specification.
yali12
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot for the response. This might be the dumbest or best decision I’ve made. Only gods knows but one things for certain I will dedicate every free hour I have to study the heck out of this subject and no life the crap out of it
antibody123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by yali12)
Thanks a lot for the response. This might be the dumbest or best decision I’ve made. Only gods knows but one things for certain I will dedicate every free hour I have to study the heck out of this subject and no life the crap out of it
if youre doing aqa id highly recommend the oxford books for physical geography they have loads of case studies especially on the Philippines which you can use for literally most questions :lol:

the big white textbook is best for human

get the case studies down and read the guardian/telegraph/ national geographic for the case studies provided and youre good

make notes of the markschemes since youve only got a year and keep reviewing the definitions !!!

best of luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (56)
18.48%
Labour (122)
40.26%
Liberal Democrats (62)
20.46%
Green Party (22)
7.26%
Brexit Party (8)
2.64%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.32%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.65%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)