Simple Diffusion Misconception

Watch this thread
lhh2003
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I get smaller molecules diffuse faster than larger ones across the membrane due to them passing more easily through gaps between phospholipids.

But in conditions WITHOUT membranes, would larger molecules / ions undergo simple diffusion faster than smaller ones due to them colliding and separating at a faster rate ?
Thiexp53
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Under conditions without membranes larger molecules would still diffuse slower than smaller ones because lighter molecules can move faster under the same temperatures (their internal kinetic energy is the same). Using the equation Ke = 1/2mv2 we can see that if the kinetic energy is the same but there is a larger mass then the velocity of the particles must decrease in order to have a constant kinetic energy, this means larger molecules move slower and so diffuse slower.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (217)
42.63%
The paper was reasonable (219)
43.03%
Not feeling great about that exam... (46)
9.04%
It was TERRIBLE (27)
5.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise