The Student Room Group

Callsign

If you could pick a callsign for yourself what would it be (NATO phonetic)? .
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
They're picked centrally and don't mean anything.

We don't assign callsigns to people, we're not American, different units or flights will have some, but they're not a big deal.
Reply 2
Original post by drewski
they're picked centrally and don't mean anything.

We don't assign callsigns to people, we're not american, different units or flights will have some, but they're not a big deal.

answer the question
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
A Few Good Men.

Put this in chat where it belongs.
Original post by Drewski

We don't assign callsigns to people, we're not American, different units or flights will have some, but they're not a big deal.

Even so, it's fun to think up what yours would be.

Mine is Decibel :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski

Also, they are a big deal and I'm aware of the fact that we assign them to units and not individuals but that was not the question.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Glaz
Even so, it's fun to think up what yours would be.

Mine is Decibel :tongue:

Sure.

But it's not relevant to armed forces careers...

Original post by JoshuaRussell16
Also, they are a big deal and I'm aware of the fact that we assign them to units and not individuals but that was not the question. A callsign for a small 4 man team from a regiment like the SAS is a little known thing and could perhaps be compromising if heard over comms by someone that they don't want to hear it. The only reason I put it was to add a fact in and also due to the fact that they change regularly so its probably not an issue.

Not really.
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
Sure.

But it's not relevant to armed forces careers...

Not really.

ok.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Also, they are a big deal and I'm aware of the fact that we assign them to units and not individuals but that was not the question. A callsign for a small 4 man team from a regiment like the SAS is a little known thing and could perhaps be compromising if heard over comms by someone that they don't want to hear it. The only reason I put it was to add a fact in and also due to the fact that they change regularly so its probably not an issue.

There may not be an issue with callsigns, but there is with putting your real name on the Armed Forces forum. Look at the security stickies.
Reply 9
Joshua mate, reasonably pointless thread which only serves to add cyber noise to a board devoted to military careers. As Drewski says ,and I've said on a similar themed thread, it's really not the British way to have a personal c/s. Leave it to the cousins.

Frankly, it's a bit naff. Like personalised number plates.

And yet, here you are posting it on an open internet forum...
Original post by RAF_Adam

There’s a load of men in black with mp5s about to abseil through his bedroom window for “a chat”.
Reply 12
Original post by RAF_Adam

Callsigns are selected on an operation to operation basis and the callsign of 'TITAN1' was used for the first and last time on operation Buckthorn in December of 2018. All of this is publically available information and not 'compromising' at all. The point of this thread was to see if my assumption that people on military (or military sections of forums) forums think that everything and anything to do with the SF is not to be talked about even if they haven't served a day in their life. I was proven right. The phrase " a little known thing and could perhaps be compromising if heard over comms by someone that they don't want to hear it" was bait and you took it as I thought you would. A youtube video about the operation was recently released and viewed 269,878 times so you have a lot of telling off to do sergeant.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Ikaruss
Joshua mate, reasonably pointless thread which only serves to add cyber noise to a board devoted to military careers. As Drewski says ,and I've said on a similar themed thread, it's really not the British way to have a personal c/s. Leave it to the cousins.

Frankly, it's a bit naff. Like personalised number plates.

It got put on this thread automatically.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Surnia
There may not be an issue with callsigns, but there is with putting your real name on the Armed Forces forum. Look at the security stickies.

Not really worried about being 'hunted down' or anything if thats what you mean.
I'd take Metro Broadchurch personally. But that's a fair few promotions away from where I am now!

Quick Reply