Callsign

Watch
Xiphos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If you could pick a callsign for yourself what would it be (NATO phonetic)? .
Last edited by Xiphos; 1 year ago
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They're picked centrally and don't mean anything.

We don't assign callsigns to people, we're not American, different units or flights will have some, but they're not a big deal.
Xiphos
Rep:
?
(Original post by drewski)
they're picked centrally and don't mean anything.

We don't assign callsigns to people, we're not american, different units or flights will have some, but they're not a big deal.
answer the question
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A Few Good Men.

Put this in chat where it belongs.
username2998742
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Drewski)

We don't assign callsigns to people, we're not American, different units or flights will have some, but they're not a big deal.
Even so, it's fun to think up what yours would be.

Mine is Decibel
Xiphos
Rep:
?

Also, they are a big deal and I'm aware of the fact that we assign them to units and not individuals but that was not the question.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Glaz)
Even so, it's fun to think up what yours would be.

Mine is Decibel
Sure.

But it's not relevant to armed forces careers...

(Original post by JoshuaRussell16)
Also, they are a big deal and I'm aware of the fact that we assign them to units and not individuals but that was not the question. A callsign for a small 4 man team from a regiment like the SAS is a little known thing and could perhaps be compromising if heard over comms by someone that they don't want to hear it. The only reason I put it was to add a fact in and also due to the fact that they change regularly so its probably not an issue.
Not really.
Xiphos
Rep:
?
Sure.

But it's not relevant to armed forces careers...

Not really.
ok.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also, they are a big deal and I'm aware of the fact that we assign them to units and not individuals but that was not the question. A callsign for a small 4 man team from a regiment like the SAS is a little known thing and could perhaps be compromising if heard over comms by someone that they don't want to hear it. The only reason I put it was to add a fact in and also due to the fact that they change regularly so its probably not an issue.
There may not be an issue with callsigns, but there is with putting your real name on the Armed Forces forum. Look at the security stickies.
Ikaruss
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Joshua mate, reasonably pointless thread which only serves to add cyber noise to a board devoted to military careers. As Drewski says ,and I've said on a similar themed thread, it's really not the British way to have a personal c/s. Leave it to the cousins.

Frankly, it's a bit naff. Like personalised number plates.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And yet, here you are posting it on an open internet forum...
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
There’s a load of men in black with mp5s about to abseil through his bedroom window for “a chat”.
Xiphos
Rep:
?
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Callsigns are selected on an operation to operation basis and the callsign of 'TITAN1' was used for the first and last time on operation Buckthorn in December of 2018. All of this is publically available information and not 'compromising' at all. The point of this thread was to see if my assumption that people on military (or military sections of forums) forums think that everything and anything to do with the SF is not to be talked about even if they haven't served a day in their life. I was proven right. The phrase " a little known thing and could perhaps be compromising if heard over comms by someone that they don't want to hear it" was bait and you took it as I thought you would. A youtube video about the operation was recently released and viewed 269,878 times so you have a lot of telling off to do sergeant.
Xiphos
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ikaruss)
Joshua mate, reasonably pointless thread which only serves to add cyber noise to a board devoted to military careers. As Drewski says ,and I've said on a similar themed thread, it's really not the British way to have a personal c/s. Leave it to the cousins.

Frankly, it's a bit naff. Like personalised number plates.
It got put on this thread automatically.
Xiphos
Rep:
?
(Original post by Surnia)
There may not be an issue with callsigns, but there is with putting your real name on the Armed Forces forum. Look at the security stickies.
Not really worried about being 'hunted down' or anything if thats what you mean.
Neenaw weewoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd take Metro Broadchurch personally. But that's a fair few promotions away from where I am now!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (55)
28.65%
No (137)
71.35%

Watched Threads