The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

What is the chance of me getting an offer from Durham for German?

Hey, I've just finished my A Levels and achieved AAB, in German, History and English Literature and an A* in EPQ. I am applying to university now, and had originally planned to retake english as I wanted to apply to Durham, which has entry requirements of AAA for languages. However, I applied for a volunteering scheme in Germany during my gap year and have recieved a placement in May, meaning I can't both retake english and participate in it.
Is there any point still applying to Durham? How competitive is the languages course? I got full marks in my english coursework, and got a B because I completely messed up one of my exams - I'm 4 marks off the A.
Any advice, as blunt as it is, will be appreciated :smile:
Ok if you want me to be blunt: there is a requirement of aaa and you have only achieved aab and will not be resitting the English. Durham is a competitive uni ( they seem to consider themselves one step down from Oxbridge) so there will be plenty of applicants who will meet the grade criteria.

You have not met their requirements, so why would they give you a place?

You will secure a place at another good uni if you apply elsewhere. Are there any other unis who take aab achieved?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Better to get some advice from someone who actually knows about it. The UCAS grade checker says you have a 64% chance of getting an offer at durham for german with your grades which is a higher chance than offers for history for those with the correct grades. It may be worth calling the admissions officer to see their opinion. Fewer people are studying languages so you may have a good chance and they are also taking on more students next year.
Reply 3
Original post by Oxford Mum
Ok if you want me to be blunt: there is a requirement of aaa and you have only achieved aab and will not be resitting the English. Durham is a competitive uni ( they seem to consider themselves one step down from Oxbridge) so there will be plenty of applicants who will meet the grade criteria.

You have not met their requirements, so why would they give you a place?

You will secure a place at another good uni if you apply elsewhere. Are there any other unis who take aab achieved?

Thanks for replying!

Yep - Really like Edinburgh and Bristol as well. Durham is, to my knowledge, the only non-oxbridge uni that want aaa. But I'm kinda worried aboout my chances of recieving offers for these unis too as if I check the UCAS grade checker my chance of getting in for Edinbrugh is actually lower than for Durham.
Reply 4
Original post by Hugh's Swan
Better to get some advice from someone who actually knows about it. The UCAS grade checker says you have a 64% chance of getting an offer at durham for german with your grades which is a higher chance than offers for history for those with the correct grades. It may be worth calling the admissions officer to see their opinion. Fewer people are studying languages so you may have a good chance and they are also taking on more students next year.

Thanks for replying.
I've emailed admissions asking if there is anything else I can do to satisfy entry requirements , but I'm trying not to get my hopes up!
My son applied for, and got into Bristol for German. He also applied for Leeds which had a good reputation for languages
Reply 6
Original post by Oxford Mum
My son applied for, and got into Bristol for German. He also applied for Leeds which had a good reputation for languages

Oooh does he like Bristol? I liked it on the open day but was kinda rushed as i arrived late
Reply 7
Original post by theJoyfulGeek
Well, the volunteering in Germany thing is a really strong point for your application- it shows you really love the language. Your spoken German will probably also be significantly better now. Also, you actually HAVE the grades- they're not just predicted. You have a chance.

thanks! I'm trying not to get my hopes up though :smile:
Yes, my son loved Bristol and had it as his insurance
Reply 9
i think you should definitely have a chance esp because you have an a* in your eps which can sometimes lower offers + you already have the other grades w/ voluntary work (which will make you stand out against other applicants) so go for it! good luck
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this, as I got an unconditional offer from Durham last month!!
Cardiff is good for languages - I have friends who languages there :smile:
Original post by mistysky06
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this, as I got an unconditional offer from Durham last month!!

So glad you got an offer from Durham. I myself was rejected from Durham for French and German, so well done.
Reply 13
Original post by mistysky06

Hey are you at Durham already or on a year out ? Looking for info on german and can’t find much anywhere !!

Quick Reply

Latest