The Guitar Thread 🎸 Watch

Lostx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thread for anyone learning to play the guitar, from beginner to expert. Help each other out and post progress.

Personally, I struggle with scales and chords and I can only read tabs if one note is needed to be played. I wish to become great at playing the guitar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lostx)
Thread for anyone learning to play the guitar, from beginner to expert. Help each other out and post progress.

Personally, I struggle with scales and chords and I can only read tabs if one note is needed to be played. I wish to become great at playing the guitar
Awww :hugs: Good luck with learning the Guitar
Lostx
Rep:
?
(Original post by 8472)
Awww :hugs: Good luck with learning the Guitar
Thanks
Lostx
Rep:
?
So far today I have learnt the E, D and A chords. Practicing Sweet Child O’ Mine, Radioactive by Imagine Dragons, Wonderwall and Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix. Can play super mario bros., and intro by the XX.

My aim is to play Inception by Hans Zimmer.:cool:
Last edited by Lostx; 4 weeks ago
Lostx
Rep:
?
Is it actually ever possible to be excellent at playing the guitar, or is it something which you have to always better yourself at?
Thatmusician02
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lostx)
Is it actually ever possible to be excellent at playing the guitar, or is it something which you have to always better yourself at?
I think its all a matter of personal perception. I've been playing for 6 years now but there's always more to learn, which i think is what makes it so fun is that you'll never run out of things to do. i hope it's going well for you!
Lostx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thatmusician02)
I think its all a matter of personal perception. I've been playing for 6 years now but there's always more to learn, which i think is what makes it so fun is that you'll never run out of things to do. i hope it's going well for you!
Thanks,

What stops me is the fear of others hearing me play. I don’t want to annoy anyone. On a good day I play for hours but I don’t play everyday.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lovely thread
(Original post by Lostx)
Both! You can be excellent and still have room for improvement.

(Original post by Lostx)
Thanks,

What stops me is the fear of others hearing me play. I don’t want to annoy anyone. On a good day I play for hours but I don’t play everyday.
if 'others' can't play the guitar then you're winning aren't ya
If you're starting out (I remember you from another thread actually) I recommend to learn how chords are constructed. E.g., if I asked you to play an Fmaj7, that you could figure out where to put your fingers without needing a tab. To do that, learn where the notes are on the guitar, and try to memorise scales and arpeggios.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know five genius-level guitar players personally (out of about 50 players). The rest of us mere mortals always have something else to learn :laugh:
Lostx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Lovely thread

If you're starting out (I remember you from another thread actually) I recommend to learn how chords are constructed. E.g., if I asked you to play an Fmaj7, that you could figure out where to put your fingers without needing a tab. To do that, learn where the notes are on the guitar, and try to memorise scales and arpeggios.
Thanks that’s great advice! How do you learn scales and arpeggios? I can play a few chords after seeing them in a book and memorise them, but do you mean learning chords without any prompts?
Lostx
Rep:
?
Lovely thread

Thanks that’s great advice! How do you learn scales and arpeggios? I can play a few chords after seeing them in a book and memorise them, but do you mean learning chords without any prompts? On Amazon there’s stickers you can buy to place on the right notes, is this a waste of money? How can more than one position play the same note?
Lostx
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
I know five genius-level guitar players personally (out of about 50 players). The rest of us mere mortals always have something else to learn :laugh:
That’s the great thing about playing the guitar, you can never stop learning
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lostx)
Thanks that’s great advice! How do you learn scales and arpeggios? I can play a few chords after seeing them in a book and memorise them, but do you mean learning chords without any prompts? On Amazon there’s stickers you can buy to place on the right notes, is this a waste of money? How can more than one position play the same note?
I think that is a waste of money yes. I never used or needed that.
I highly recommend getting William Leavitt's 'A Modern Method for Guitar'. Starts right from the beginning, shows you how to understand sheet music and gives some basic knowledge of theory too.
As for 'how can multiple positions play the same note', that's just because it's a stringed instrument. Same goes for cellos and banjos.
Lostx
Rep:
?
I think that is a waste of money yes. I never used or needed that.
I highly recommend getting William Leavitt's 'A Modern Method for Guitar'. Starts right from the beginning, shows you how to understand sheet music and gives some basic knowledge of theory too.
As for 'how can multiple positions play the same note', that's just because it's a stringed instrument. Same goes for cellos and banjos.
Ah ok, thank you. I looked on Amazon for that book and some didn’t rate it very highly.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lostx)
Ah ok, thank you. I looked on Amazon for that book and some didn’t rate it very highly.
Because it didn't come with a CD lol.
Probably best you do get lessons as well, though.
Lostx
Rep:
?
It looks great. I will definitely consider paying for it
Lostx
Rep:
?
Also how thick is the book? It is supposed to be 3 in one?
username4995738
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Girls play the guitar?
Anonnorth
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just bought my first guitar and starting to learn via a bloke on YouTube.
... oh .. three ... five .. oh
Oh..oh .. three ..three ...five ...five
That's how he does his first lesson on the E string..
Practicing that for now before going onto next lesson.
Bought a Squire Affinity Stratocaster HSS
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lostx)
Also how thick is the book? It is supposed to be 3 in one?
Start with volume 1, if you want to carry on then get the 3-in-1 one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (200)
19.18%
Labour (443)
42.47%
Liberal Democrats (202)
19.37%
Green Party (54)
5.18%
Brexit Party (28)
2.68%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (15)
1.44%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.96%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.19%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (3)