Is it possible to get a job in data science without being able to code Watch

Trackstar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m interested In a job in data science but I only have very basic coding knowledge. Are there any jobs where you can join with no experience and be trained. I’m in my third year of a maths degree.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Trackstar)
I’m interested In a job in data science but I only have very basic coding knowledge. Are there any jobs where you can join with no experience and be trained. I’m in my third year of a maths degree.
It is always worth trying to gain work experience or trying to brush up on your coding skills during your studies to make your application stand out and to show that you have an genuine interest in this field. There may be jobs which require little experience but they are limited and may have a lot of competition.
Gatewaymerge
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The thing is, unis don't teach you how to code. There is no data science without python and ML knowledge. I'd recommend learning some python and sql
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
this is like asking if it's possible to cook without cooking..
Trackstar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
this is like asking if it's possible to cook without cooking..
Insightful, Thank you.
mhsc
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You could get a job as a data analyst but not data science I'm afraid. At the right company you might have a chance to learn coding slowly over time and move into DS eventually.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I graduated with a maths degree in the summer and am pursuing similar roles. I do think it's possible just look for graduate specific jobs and graduate schemes. These both specifically cater to graduates with no work experience and most graduate Data Analyst / Data Science / Big Data / Data Engineering jobs accept STEM degrees as part of their requirements.
yojimbo_beta
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not really. It's a very technical field and involves a fair amount of both plumbing (e.g. wiring up DAGs) and scripting (e.g. cleaning up data sets).

The good news is: you can teach yourself to program! If you were to spend a set amount of time per week learning about coding or DS generally I reckon you'd be able to pick a lot by the time you graduated. Say you made every Sunday your "Data Science day", for example.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (263)
54.23%
18-20 years old (no) (63)
12.99%
20-25 years old (yes) (82)
16.91%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
1.86%
25-30 years old (yes) (25)
5.15%