The Student Room Group

How should I revise? (A levels)

I started Year 12 this September, I’ve been told I need to be doing 5 hours of independent study for each subject weekly. I take English Literature, English Language, Law, EPQ. So far we’ve had initial assessments and it’s really knocked my confidence, I feel stupid compared to people in my classes. So far I got a C in literature, D in language, E in law. I know I’m only a month into studying a levels but i really want to achieve high grades. The problem is, I don’t know how I should revise In a way that’s effective. I’ve found myself writing notes from websites/textbooks but I’m not remembering anything. Please help 😕
Reply 1
Original post by EllieLouise_
I started Year 12 this September, I’ve been told I need to be doing 5 hours of independent study for each subject weekly. I take English Literature, English Language, Law, EPQ. So far we’ve had initial assessments and it’s really knocked my confidence, I feel stupid compared to people in my classes. So far I got a C in literature, D in language, E in law. I know I’m only a month into studying a levels but i really want to achieve high grades. The problem is, I don’t know how I should revise In a way that’s effective. I’ve found myself writing notes from websites/textbooks but I’m not remembering anything. Please help 😕

Ok. You have just finished doing those easy GCSEs haven't you? Now you see how easy they were, right? So your Alevels: your technique for studying needs to be completely changed. Why ? because copying notes proves nothing except that you can write words on lined paper! lol. The second thing is - stop comparing yourself in any way with others- there is no point! Thirdly, produce an absolutely superb set of A grade standard notes for every subject and topic you do at A level. Colour code them if you wish. Then , rewrite on small cards a summary of the notes using only half the number of words. Watch relevant videos/films and make notes actively while watching them. Draw little memory doodles of your topics. Do mind maps. Find random relevant exam questions and marks chemes. Practice them, mark them yourself! Mind map key topics. Search and search for full understanding before you ever attempt to remember anything! Find a friendly classteacher to guide you a bit. I would say 6 hours per subject per week. You could easily do 10 of them at weekends! If you think all this is hard work then you are right ! its not GCSE! -but your grades will go up for sure. Remember a lazy student always underachieves. You have only just started so stop worrying and comparing! Hope this helps?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
honestly im not sure with your subject but for my yr12 i did hardly no revision and in my end of year mocks i got ACC. got an A in business because that course literally requires zero brainpower and effort but i got a C in media and graphic design. im know on course to get an A in graphic design but thats because ive been doing much more work. but im in a really similar position to you how tf do you revise for media and english because your expected to analyse something but there's only so much analysis you can do and their isn't always truth behind what you're saying because you can say a colour make the reader feel a type of way if you bull**** it enough to convince the examiner. i would recommend just speaking to your teachers. i found that was really useful for me. my media teacher is super nice even though i hate my course im going to try power through to at least get a B. and i knew many people in yr12 who done pretty bad at law, dw about it, you're allowed to make mistakes at this stage of the year. i find a good way of remembering stuff is to write them down on flash cards and stock them literally next your bed so the first thing you see when you wake up is your notes.
Reply 3
Original post by yali12
honestly im not sure with your subject but for my yr12 i did hardly no revision and in my end of year mocks i got ACC. got an A in business because that course literally requires zero brainpower and effort but i got a C in media and graphic design. im know on course to get an A in graphic design but thats because ive been doing much more work. but im in a really similar position to you how tf do you revise for media and english because your expected to analyse something but there's only so much analysis you can do and their isn't always truth behind what you're saying because you can say a colour make the reader feel a type of way if you bull**** it enough to convince the examiner. i would recommend just speaking to your teachers. i found that was really useful for me. my media teacher is super nice even though i hate my course im going to try power through to at least get a B. and i knew many people in yr12 who done pretty bad at law, dw about it, you're allowed to make mistakes at this stage of the year. i find a good way of remembering stuff is to write them down on flash cards and stock them literally next your bed so the first thing you see when you wake up is your notes.

Ok. This is interesting but an ACC whilst doing "hardly no revision" probably represents underachievment for you though? Had you done thorough work for months you probably make your examiners really sit up and take notice. You will definitely find it pretty impossible to do this through an undergraduate uni course- so beware! just saying!😀
Reply 4
Bro yhh I don’t plan on behaving like this when I get to uni but a level business is a course in common sense. I struggle in media because I’ve always hated English and struggled to analyse in that sense that’s why I’m thinking of dropping media to do another a level and try learn the 2 years in one year
Reply 5
Original post by yali12
Bro yhh I don’t plan on behaving like this when I get to uni but a level business is a course in common sense. I struggle in media because I’ve always hated English and struggled to analyse in that sense that’s why I’m thinking of dropping media to do another a level and try learn the 2 years in one year

Or could you possibly try and figure out whether you could turn the media /English thing around? 2 years in one - that's a tough call! You sound bright enough to sort out the media/English thing! What do you mean that you are not good at English/media? In what way specifically?
Original post by mgi
Ok. You have just finished doing those easy GCSEs haven't you? Now you see how easy they were, right? So your Alevels: your technique for studying needs to be completely changed. Why ? because copying notes proves nothing except that you can write words on lined paper! lol. The second thing is - stop comparing yourself in any way with others- there is no point! Thirdly, produce an absolutely superb set of A grade standard notes for every subject and topic you do at A level. Colour code them if you wish. Then , rewrite on small cards a summary of the notes using only half the number of words. Watch relevant videos/films and make notes actively while watching them. Draw little memory doodles of your topics. Do mind maps. Find random relevant exam questions and marks chemes. Practice them, mark them yourself! Mind map key topics. Search and search for full understanding before you ever attempt to remember anything! Find a friendly classteacher to guide you a bit. I would say 6 hours per subject per week. You could easily do 10 of them at weekends! If you think all this is hard work then you are right ! its not GCSE! -but your grades will go up for sure. Remember a lazy student always underachieves. You have only just started so stop worrying and comparing! Hope this helps?

This may be a silly question but when you say ‘produce grade A set of notes’ how would I do that? Just continue getting notes from textbooks and websites?
Reply 7
Original post by EllieLouise_
This may be a silly question but when you say ‘produce grade A set of notes’ how would I do that? Just continue getting notes from textbooks and websites?

Ok. You use a variety of sources: your teacher's notes and comments, a range of textbooks and revision guides and some excellent youtube videos. Even by doing this bit properly and diligently you will find that you start picking up large amounts of knowledge. But you need to organise it! And that is where your hardwork and real focus comes in. You can easily prove it this week: pick a topic that you think is hard, make some good notes as i have described then rewrite them as i told you using the various techniques . Then find related exam questions, practice your answers , then check them! Your longterm memory also starts to back you up! How will your grades not go up!? Of course they will!
Original post by mgi
Ok. You use a variety of sources: your teacher's notes and comments, a range of textbooks and revision guides and some excellent youtube videos. Even by doing this bit properly and diligently you will find that you start picking up large amounts of knowledge. But you need to organise it! And that is where your hardwork and real focus comes in. You can easily prove it this week: pick a topic that you think is hard, make some good notes as i have described then rewrite them as i told you using the various techniques . Then find related exam questions, practice your answers , then check them! Your longterm memory also starts to back you up! How will your grades not go up!? Of course they will!

Thank you 😊

Quick Reply

Latest