The Student Room Group

What is the melting point of aspirin?

We made aspirin for the required practical and we tested the melting point. I searched the mp of aspirin online and saw that there was a range of different answers. Some sources say it is 135°C and it’s BP is 140°C, whereas other sources claim the Mp is 138-140°C? Which is it?
Reply 1
Original post by Mathstermind
We made aspirin for the required practical and we tested the melting point. I searched the mp of aspirin online and saw that there was a range of different answers. Some sources say it is 135°C and it’s BP is 140°C, whereas other sources claim the Mp is 138-140°C? Which is it?

Different sources will give different values but typically it is given between 135 to 140 degrees C. Google says 136C. Do you need a precise value?
Original post by Mathstermind

If you need this for a lab report, cite several sources and pick the one you think "best", and explain why you chose to use it rather than something else. Its not uncommon to find disagreements in the literature, science is not "done" yet, which is both frustrating and hugely entertaining as there is still lots of stuff to discover :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest