The Student Room Group

Think Ahead 2020

Scroll to see replies

Hey I applied a couple weeks ago now, don’t think it’s likely I will get in as I don’t have any social work experience or any professional experience linked to it 😩 does anyone know how many applicants apply each year?
Hey I applied a couple weeks ago now, don’t think it’s likely I will get in as I don’t have any past social work experience 😩 does anyone know roughly how many people apply?
Reply 82
Original post by Mollyfreeman97
Hey I applied a couple weeks ago now, don’t think it’s likely I will get in as I don’t have any past social work experience 😩 does anyone know roughly how many people apply?

I've been looking for this online, the only information I found was the number of applicants for the 2016 intake (2300) here - https://www.nelft.nhs.uk/news-events/nelft-is-part-of-new-scheme-to-train-mental-health-social-workers-2165/

I imagine with the growth in popularity and coverage of the course over the last few years, there have probably been 3000-5000 applicants (this is just an estimate!).
The Think Ahead programme seems like an amazing opportunity to do some good and something meaningful. After passing the SJT, I sent in my completed application last weekend. I was told by an automated email that it could take 6 weeks for me to receive a response. I feel nervous but excited at the same time. Have you heard anything back yet Mollyfreeman97?
(edited 4 years ago)
I sent my application off 3 weeks ago and am still waiting. This is quite stressful.
Hi all. Just to say that I attended the assessment centre on Friday and received a conditional offer on Monday! Super excited to start.

The assessment centre sounds daunting but time really does fly by. Before you know it, it's the end of the day and you'll probably have an adrenaline crash - I certainly did! Take a snack with you to eat on your break (you'll be allocated 30 minutes).

I would say that all you can do to to prepare is to go over the competencies on the Think Ahead website, really understand what the role of a Mental Health Social Worker is and why you want to become one.

They're not trying to trip you up or anything, they really do want you to do your best so try to take a deep breath on the day, relax and enjoy the ride!

Good luck, all.
Original post by Cookiie7abibti
Hi all. Just to say that I attended the assessment centre on Friday and received a conditional offer on Monday! Super excited to start.

The assessment centre sounds daunting but time really does fly by. Before you know it, it's the end of the day and you'll probably have an adrenaline crash - I certainly did! Take a snack with you to eat on your break (you'll be allocated 30 minutes).

I would say that all you can do to to prepare is to go over the competencies on the Think Ahead website, really understand what the role of a Mental Health Social Worker is and why you want to become one.

They're not trying to trip you up or anything, they really do want you to do your best so try to take a deep breath on the day, relax and enjoy the ride!

Good luck, all.

Congratulations! That's great news for you. I would love the same opportunity you've been given. Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. Hope you continue with the programme and go on to do great things.
@Cookiie7abibti That's amazing!! Well done! You must be over the moon 😀 What kind of tasks or questions did they ask you if you dont mind me asking?

Also, how quickly will you find out where your local authority will be?

Congratulations again! You've done very well to get a place 👏🏾
Original post by SteffEva
@Cookiie7abibti That's amazing!! Well done! You must be over the moon 😀 What kind of tasks or questions did they ask you if you dont mind me asking?

Also, how quickly will you find out where your local authority will be?

Congratulations again! You've done very well to get a place 👏🏾

Thank you!

I cant reveal exactly what the questions are (to be fair, I can't exactly remember!) but they're really just average interview questions e.g., why do want to be a MH social worker, what qualities you bring, etc. There are no trick questions - if you prep normal interview questions you'll do fine. Tip: go over the competencies and think of the experiences you've had related to them.

They told me that they will be allocating locations around March as they're still confirming LAs and Trusts.

Good luck!
Original post by Cookiie7abibti
Thank you!

I cant reveal exactly what the questions are (to be fair, I can't exactly remember!) but they're really just average interview questions e.g., why do want to be a MH social worker, what qualities you bring, etc. There are no trick questions - if you prep normal interview questions you'll do fine. Tip: go over the competencies and think of the experiences you've had related to them.

They told me that they will be allocating locations around March as they're still confirming LAs and Trusts.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply! Ok its good to know that basic interview prep plus learning their competencies is good preparation. I hope they work with LAs in the north west as that's where I would want to be based. I dont even know if I've got through to the assessment centre yet so I guess I'm just planning ahead lol.

I keep checking my youtube video stats every other day just to see if it's been watched but it hasn't been. I submitted mine 3 weeks ago so I've got another 3 weeks to wait. Fingers crossed I get in 🤞🏾

Good luck with your new career! I'm sure you'll do great 😀
Reply 90
Hi all. So good to see this forum! I have submitted the situation test last week but have not heard anything yet. Does anyone know if they are still accepting applications or should I give up already? Congratulations to those who have been accepted
A

Original post by Umreem
Hi all. So good to see this forum! I have submitted the situation test last week but have not heard anything yet. Does anyone know if they are still accepting applications or should I give up already? Congratulations to those who have been accepted

Apparently, applications for London close on 19th February but will continue for the rest of England for now.
Reply 92
Original post by bless not stress
A

Apparently, applications for London close on 19th February but will continue for the rest of England for now.

Thanks for responding. I haven't heard anything about the situation test yet that I submitted last week. I think I have to wait for them to send me the application form right?

Keep checking my emails but nothing, waiting is so difficult 😩
my 3 week time limit has passed for submitting my application, however whenever I log on to fill in the application, it is still letting me answer the questions/save progress etc. Has anyone submitted their application after the 3 weeks, does it still count? Or am I best emailing them to confirm?
Reply 94
Does anyone know if there is an assessment centre up north please.
Original post by ewood3
Does anyone know if there is an assessment centre up north please.

The assessment centre is based in London. I think in previous years there were 2 options.
Original post by swilkinson981
my 3 week time limit has passed for submitting my application, however whenever I log on to fill in the application, it is still letting me answer the questions/save progress etc. Has anyone submitted their application after the 3 weeks, does it still count? Or am I best emailing them to confirm?

I think it would be best to ask them before spending all that time filling in the application, especially since you have to do the videos. Imagine doing all that work for nothing! If you're not too much over the time limit maybe they will allow it but it could also be that meeting the time frame given is part of the test. You'll never know unless you ask. I hope they allow it. Good luck!
Original post by Umreem
Thanks for responding. I haven't heard anything about the situation test yet that I submitted last week. I think I have to wait for them to send me the application form right?

Keep checking my emails but nothing, waiting is so difficult 😩

yes, the next step is the application form with the dreaded 2 video's to upload. Good luck! I'm still waiting to hear the outcome of my application and it's killing me!
Original post by SteffEva
Thanks for your reply! Ok its good to know that basic interview prep plus learning their competencies is good preparation. I hope they work with LAs in the north west as that's where I would want to be based. I dont even know if I've got through to the assessment centre yet so I guess I'm just planning ahead lol.

I keep checking my youtube video stats every other day just to see if it's been watched but it hasn't been. I submitted mine 3 weeks ago so I've got another 3 weeks to wait. Fingers crossed I get in 🤞🏾

Good luck with your new career! I'm sure you'll do great 😀

I've got 8 and 11 views on my YouTube videos and now I'm worried. I hope it's not out there in the public forum. I know I put it on private. I'm concerned as I submitted my application just after New Year and have heard zilch back! This is torture!
Reply 99
Original post by bless not stress
yes, the next step is the application form with the dreaded 2 video's to upload. Good luck! I'm still waiting to hear the outcome of my application and it's killing me!

Hi, Thanks for the info. I have just received the
application form and have 3 weeks to submit even though London applications closing on 19 Feb. Out of interest, how long did filling the application take?

Thanks 😊

Quick Reply

Latest