The Student Room Group

College Help

Hello everyone! I currently do a course at college and I've been left stumped and also rather annoyed.

My lecturer has been less than helpful this year and I don't know what to do. He's been setting us very difficult homework (A-Level Maths for a course that isn't maths) and refusing to help with it, basically saying that if it was something that I couldn't do indepently then I wasn't suitable for the course.

I'm struggling with this one unit and because he's refusing to help I'm getting even more stuck and have nobody to ask for help, and I fear that I will end up getting removed off the course for that very reason. I'm very stuck and don't know what to do. I've spoken to my classmates and they're in pretty much the same boat.

I love my course and want to finish college but this one unit is holding me back. What would you do in this situation?

Thank-you :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ColUniHopeful
Hello everyone! I currently do a course at college and I've been left stumped and also rather annoyed.

My lecturer has been less than helpful this year and I don't know what to do. He's been setting us very difficult homework (A-Level Maths for a course that isn't maths) and refusing to help with it, basically saying that if it was something that I couldn't do indepently then I wasn't suitable for the course.

I'm struggling with this one unit and because he's refusing to help I'm getting even more stuck and have nobody to ask for help, and I fear that I will end up getting removed off the course for that very reason. I'm very stuck and don't know what to do. I've spoken to my classmates and they're in pretty much the same boat.

I love my course and want to finish college but this one unit is holding me back. What would you do in this situation?

Thank-you :smile:

Talk to head of department or head of year. Try the matsh forum on here for a pointer.
Original post by 999tigger
Talk to head of department or head of year. Try the matsh forum on here for a pointer.

I would.. but my teacher has also said that I can only ask him or the LSA for help otherwise again he says I'm not suitable for the course. Helpful as the LSA is currently off sick and doesn't know anything about the maths we're doing anyway. Asking someone else for help is when he decided to say I wasn't suitable for the course.
Original post by ColUniHopeful
I would.. but my teacher has also said that I can only ask him or the LSA for help otherwise again he says I'm not suitable for the course. Helpful as the LSA is currently off sick and doesn't know anything about the maths we're doing anyway. Asking someone else for help is when he decided to say I wasn't suitable for the course.

do you have a personal tutor or welfare officer. Speak to them about who you should ask because the lecturers restriction is unfair.
Your alternative is to find another method of getting a help like a tutor , book or maths forum.

Quick Reply

Latest