The Student Room Group

Coming back to education!

so I am 23 years old wanting to do A level computer science. I am currently doing my GCSEs in Maths and English to get these out of the way as I was out of education for a while and didn't get good grades mainly because I didn't realise the importance of it. As I am an adult student, can I apply to a normal college and do my A levels? Also, do I need to pay funds and how much? I ask because for my Math and English I have to do an adult evening class (which is not what I want but I have no choice!) I can't do the normal day time hours as that's for students aged 16-19. Will this be the same for doing A level?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
No. You will struggle to find a college that will take you for A-levels. Mainly because the systems are not in place for mature students to do A-levels. If your a mature student your expected to do an access course instead.

You do get funding for an access course but alot of the access courses are mainly targeted at the health professions. E.g access to nursing, health sciences, midwifery etc.
Although thier are access to computing courses available.
If there isn't you would probably be best to do an access to science course.

Although an access to science course isn't necessarily relevant to computing it will still get you enough UCAS points for entry.

Also if you did manage to take a levels you would have to take 3 a levels as one a level will not get you enough UCAS points.
Original post by Nadia435
so I am 23 years old wanting to do A level computer science. I am currently doing my GCSEs in Maths and English to get these out of the way as I was out of education for a while and didn't get good grades mainly because I didn't realise the importance of it. As I am an adult student, can I apply to a normal college and do my A levels? Also, do I need to pay funds and how much? I ask because for my Math and English I have to do an adult evening class (which is not what I want but I have no choice!) I can't do the normal day time hours as that's for students aged 16-19. Will this be the same for doing A level?

Thank you :smile:

Hi there @Nadia435

The Access to HE course is in place to assist mature learners without A-Levels to gain entry into university, which is why you'd struggle to find a college that will offer mature learners A-Levels.

As @adam277 says, there are Access to Computer courses, if there isn't one locally, look for an Access to Science course. If you study an Access course full time at a physical college not online, you may be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan which pays for the course and is written off if you complete your undergraduate degree. The Access course is also one academic year long instead of the 2 years taken for A-Levels.

I'd recommend contacting the universities you're interested in and asking for the entry requirements for Access students.

Fi :horse:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending