The Student Room Group

No motivation for my college course

Hello, so when I enrolled in college my maths grade was a 3 so I was automatically put onto the level 2 course. Which I didn’t mind doing then, since I had to do the maths. But recently I got my maths remark back and now I’m a grade 4 and have actually passed maths. So I don’t need to do it anymore

I spoke to the college about potentially moving up to level 3, but they won’t let me. One because it’s already basically filled up and two, because apparently I’d be too far behind in work. So I have to wait until September to move to level 3. My current level 2 course is only a year, but it feels useless doing this now.

I have no motivation or enjoyment in this level 2 course, and there’s no benefit to me completing it I feel. I have to travel about an hour and a half to even get to college, I don’t want to waste so much time when it’s just gonna be useless in the end. However since it’s apparently too late to move courses, I’m not sure what to do at the moment.

I’m upset about how things have turned out, but I dunno what I can do about it all. If I could leave my level 2 course I would.

Any advice on what I should do would be appreciated
Original post by Coral_xo
Hello, so when I enrolled in college my maths grade was a 3 so I was automatically put onto the level 2 course. Which I didn’t mind doing then, since I had to do the maths. But recently I got my maths remark back and now I’m a grade 4 and have actually passed maths. So I don’t need to do it anymore

I spoke to the college about potentially moving up to level 3, but they won’t let me. One because it’s already basically filled up and two, because apparently I’d be too far behind in work. So I have to wait until September to move to level 3. My current level 2 course is only a year, but it feels useless doing this now.

I have no motivation or enjoyment in this level 2 course, and there’s no benefit to me completing it I feel. I have to travel about an hour and a half to even get to college, I don’t want to waste so much time when it’s just gonna be useless in the end. However since it’s apparently too late to move courses, I’m not sure what to do at the moment.

I’m upset about how things have turned out, but I dunno what I can do about it all. If I could leave my level 2 course I would.

Any advice on what I should do would be appreciated

1. You passed Maths GCSE with a grade 4? That is still only a bare pass.
2. The colleges reasons for not moving you to A level are entirely valid. Most colleges will require you to be at grade 6 or above.
3. If you feel GCSE is useless then dont sit the exam. Employers and unis will think differently.
4. You can leave school at 16 as long as you are still involved in education and training.
5. I would pass the exam at a much higher level, earn money, study something else and move to level 3 the following year. You will need grade 6, but you are only at 4.
Original post by 999tigger
1. You passed Maths GCSE with a grade 4? That is still only a bare pass.
2. The colleges reasons for not moving you to A level are entirely valid. Most colleges will require you to be at grade 6 or above.
3. If you feel GCSE is useless then dont sit the exam. Employers and unis will think differently.
4. Surely the reason you are in this situation is entirely down to you and your academic abilities?
5. You can leave school at 16 as long as you are still involved in education and training. You havent proved anything about your maths ability. Why not get a grade 9 rather than think you know know it all at grade 4?
6. You probably wouldnt cope with A level.
7. I would pass the exam at a much higher level, earn money, study something else and move to level 3 the following year. You will need grade 6, but you are only at 4.
8. In short accept is your fault you are at this situation, you have lots of room for improvement, so improve instead of complaining. 90 minute commute sounds really odd.

Something tells me that you didn't read the thread and as a result; your argument does not make sense.The OP has the requirements to go into a level 3 course but their school/college won't let them.

I still don't understand why you think that this is their fault.
My advice is to ask again and present the evidence ( your grades + the entry requirements for level 3). You have the requirements but your school is refusing to comply.
Original post by LUPINRED
Something tells me that you didn't read the thread and as a result; your argument does not make sense.The OP has the requirements to go into a level 3 course but their school/college won't let them.

I still don't understand why you think that this is their fault.

The requirements to do A level , which is level 3, is either a 5.6.or 7, but the OP has a bare 4.
Schools and colleges dont let you join a course if you dont have the grade required or they are full or yiou are seeking a late transfer and they dont believe you can catch up.

Person who sat the exam was the OP, they got as bare 4, which isnt enough. If they had got a 6 or 7 they could have joined the course back in September. the responsibility for the mark is the OP?

The course is also 5 months in.

Feel free to point out the deficiencies and where I am wrong.
(edited 4 years ago)
The requirements to do A level , which is level 3, is either a 5.6.or 7, but the OP has a bare 4.
Schools and colleges dont let you join a course if you dont have the grade required or they are full or yiou are seeking a late transfer and they dont believe you can catch up.

Person who sat the exam was the OP, they got as bare 4, which isnt enough. If they had got a 6 or 7 they could have joined the course back in September. the responsibility for the mark is the OP?

A levels are not the only level 3 course.
Original post by LUPINRED
A levels are not the only level 3 course.

And how will you be dealing with the 5 months behind aspect?
Do you have a time machine?
Did you even read the OP?
And how will you be dealing with the 5 months behind aspect?
Do you have a time machine?
Did you even read the OP?

I know people who were able to catch up with the work after joining at a VERY late point of the course and managed to achieve a decent grade at the end of the first year.

Oh yeah. Did I mention that I was allowed to do a levels despite getting mostly 5s and 4s at GCSE (inc a 3 in maths which is now a 4)?

Quick Reply

Latest