Sophie-W09
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So recently i have been drafting an email to a small veterinary clinic and i need help to see whether this is okay to send. Unfortunately, I did not do work experience in year 10 like most schools do as the school i'm at decided not to let us for our year group! Anways...
________________________________ ______________________________
To whom it may concern,
My name is ______ and I am writing to ask about a work experience placement at ______ Vets from the 6th to the 10th of July 2020. I wish to gain an insight into the world of animals and veterinary and would therefore be very grateful for the opportunity to gain a week worth of experience with you.
I am currently in year 12 of _________ College studying BTEC Science, Sociology and Photography. As an interest of mine, I hope to be able to study veterinary science as a subject at university after I finish college.
I have past experience working with mostly horses but I would like to experience work with small animals. Therefore, I aim to broaden my knowledge and wish to gain experience in a small animal veterinary clinic such as _______ Vets.
I believe that I will be able to earn a large amount of experience in the field of veterinary science whilst working with you. I hope to be able to learn new skills and understanding related to working with animals.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Yours faithfully,
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That sounds good, make sure you include your CV as well. I organised all of my work experience myself, and had the best time, but don’t be afraid to chase people if they don’t respond within two weeks! Sometimes you have to be really pushy and phone up. Good luck!
Last edited by emj208; 4 weeks ago
willow239
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,
This is a really good draft, however you need to tell them about the skills you already have, and tell them why you want to study veterinary science at uni. I have changed a few parts just to give you an idea on how to improve (obviously you don't need to take my advice, but I have done quite a bit of 'showcasing my skills' as I've been writing my personal statement for uni and for various work experience placements in the past). I hope you do well and they accept you for the placement!

To whom it may concern,
My name is ______ and I am writing to ask about a work experience placement at ______ Vets from the 6th to the 10th of July 2020. I wish to gain an insight into the world of animals and veterinary science, and would be very grateful for the opportunity to gain a week's worth of experience with you.
I am currently in year 12 of _________ College studying BTEC Science, Sociology and Photography. I hope to study veterinary science at university after I finish college because...(say why it is an interest of yours).
I have past experience working with horses (elaborate on this to showcase your existing skills) but I would also like to develop my proficiency in working with small animals. By completing this work experience placement in your small animal veterinary clinic, I will be able to broaden my existing skills and knowledge and gain a greater understanding of working with animals (or something along those lines - try to state what skills you hope to gain out of the experience).
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Yours faithfully,
VMD100
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Personally if I was aiming for veterinary work experience I would at the very least be calling the practice if not going in person. As actual veterinary students also frequent practices for clinical EMS it is likely many of them will be very busy and are unlikely to respond to a very generic email. Pre university they are definitely doing it out the kindness of their hearts for the future of the profession, they owe you nothing so make an impression that will make them want to take you!
kate.louise
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I listed all the ailments I had seen on my animals throughout the years as well!
I also reaffirmed that I was on track to be a vet, not just saying that I had an interest, and would be applying when I did.
I only ever emailed and got all the placements I wanted, including one that stated they would not take work experience students.
Good luck!
treetops12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This sounds great, but depending on where you live and how many vet practices are around, they may already be booked for that specific week. You're asking really ahead of time which is great, and they probably won't be booked up that early, but just for future reference if you try to get more experience, I found it was better to offer a range of dates so the clinic could fit me in at the best time for them. And like somebody mentioned above, if they don't reply don't hesitate to send another email after a few weeks, and if you still hear nothing, I would recommend walking in to speak to them directly.

I also found that ringing places up is a lot better than emailing them. Most vets do have WEX students but some don't have the right insurance, and can tell you that straight off. Also, sometimes if you ring, the receptionist can give you the email of the Head Nurse or whoever is in charge of WEX students, so you can email them rather directly rather than emailing the generic practice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Harper Adams University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 17 Nov '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (130)
19.29%
Labour (284)
42.14%
Liberal Democrats (133)
19.73%
Green Party (38)
5.64%
Brexit Party (20)
2.97%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.3%
SNP (9)
1.34%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.89%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.15%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.15%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)